Dragon Events Tail of the Dragon (Highway US129) 318 curves in 11 miles, is America’s number one motorcycle and sports car road.

RtD Transparency

Old 03-27-2015, 08:44 AM
Community Organizer

Received 226 Likes on 143 Posts

Get rid of the banquet, or make it optional. If it cannot be made optional, fine, but be prepared to continue dealing with this problem. This is pretty much my only rub with this whole deal. There is absolutely zero way I can justify eating undercooked chicken cutlets for 37 dollars, let alone paying for a +1 to eat this when I know I can ruin dinner for considerably less than what it's costing me here.

Seriously though, everything else is great, y'all are doin' a great job.
Old 03-27-2015, 08:49 AM
Member (Premium)

Received 1,135 Likes on 768 Posts

Originally Posted by ForgetMyNameX07
Originally Posted by Lovetodrive2000' timestamp='1427464565' post='23556730
What the heck is wrong with people...... nobody is making you attend this event... If you don't like the cost, just stay home!I checked, and my AAA rate was still higher for a lodge room, than the rate that Ken got.
This all started from word that Ken would be releasing reservations of those saying they were attending but not registering. That pissed a lot of people off (myself included). Calls were made to Fontana (by many individuals from different groups) and they communicated to us that they were assured that no one could release reservations but could take away the group rate. So now people were looking to go ahead and register to keep the group rate up until someone mentioned they got a AAA discount rate. Problem solved for those not wanting to register but have a discounted cabin.

Many saw this as a way to strong arm people into registering and then became curious as to the costs associated with the registration price. No one is making anyone attend an event but when word gets out about releasing someones reservation they tend to get pissed off.

So now we have one saying the AAA rate is higher and another stating Dragon rates are being adjusted to reflect AAA price. Something is off here...
No, nothingi is off. Until I can confirm with Fontana that the AAA rate is lower, nothing changes. IF (and that's a BIG IF) Fontana says that the AAA rates are indeed lower, than I will ask that the room rates be adjusted. Until I can talk to Fontana, nothing changes. To quote myself:
"And now that I have found out that there are lower rates available via AAA, I have asked that the rates for the Dragon meets be modified. Thanks for letting me know." Unfortunately, the lower rates are for cabins which are NOT part of the Dragon block. I can't do anything about that. Sorry, wish I could but I can't. I can ask, but I can't guarantee.
Unfortunately (for me) when I typed the original message to CO's and Mods, I managed to leave out GROUP RATE from the line about reservations. I apologized for that and some people may not have known that but now you do.
JUST SO YOU KNOW: The group rates are only available IF you register. This has always been the policy and will continue to be the policy. If you don't register as part of the group, you DO NOT get the group rate. Tres simple.
Old 03-27-2015, 08:53 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by kgf3076
Originally Posted by ForgetMyNameX07' timestamp='1427468032' post='23556835
[quote name='Lovetodrive2000' timestamp='1427464565' post='23556730']What the heck is wrong with people...... nobody is making you attend this event... If you don't like the cost, just stay home!I checked, and my AAA rate was still higher for a lodge room, than the rate that Ken got.
This all started from word that Ken would be releasing reservations of those saying they were attending but not registering. That pissed a lot of people off (myself included). Calls were made to Fontana (by many individuals from different groups) and they communicated to us that they were assured that no one could release reservations but could take away the group rate. So now people were looking to go ahead and register to keep the group rate up until someone mentioned they got a AAA discount rate. Problem solved for those not wanting to register but have a discounted cabin.

Many saw this as a way to strong arm people into registering and then became curious as to the costs associated with the registration price. No one is making anyone attend an event but when word gets out about releasing someones reservation they tend to get pissed off.

So now we have one saying the AAA rate is higher and another stating Dragon rates are being adjusted to reflect AAA price. Something is off here...
Unfortunately (for me) when I typed the original message to CO's and Mods, I managed to leave out GROUP RATE from the line about reservations. I apologized for that and some people may not have known that but now you do.

[/quote]

"I don't want anybody to drive all that wayjust to find out they don't have a room"

Attached Thumbnails RtD Transparency-cabin-reservations.jpg  
Old 03-27-2015, 08:56 AM

Originally Posted by Ricky_Flowers_
Get rid of the banquet, or make it optional. If it cannot be made optional, fine, but be prepared to continue dealing with this problem. This is pretty much my only rub with this whole deal. There is absolutely zero way I can justify eating undercooked chicken cutlets for 37 dollars, let alone paying for a +1 to eat this when I know I can ruin dinner for considerably less than what it's costing me here.

Just curious - what would you replace it with? The banquet is the one time that we have to get the whole group together; recognize those members that have travelled the farthest, or participated the longest; give out raffle prizes; and enjoy others' videos & photos from the weekend.

I agree we pay too much per person for what is typically sub-par food. But unfortunately our hands are tied as Fontana won't allow outside food vendors, and there is nowhere else nearby to get everyone together under one roof. Would everyone be willing to drive 1 hr to alcoa or 45 minutes to some large restaurant in Maryville for a saturday night get together?

Plus, probably about $10 of that is for the room, tables, chairs, projector, PA system, etc. So it's only $27 for undercooked chicken
Old 03-27-2015, 08:57 AM
Member (Premium)

Originally Posted by Ricky_Flowers_

Too bad those "under-coked chicken cutlets" aren't on the menu. I'll order them just for you, Ricky. As a matter of fact, there has never been anything resembling under-cooked chicken cutlets at any banquet that I have EVER planned. If I won't eat it, I damned sure won't order it for some of my best friends. Sure you can eat for less. McDonalds will be happy to give you flash frozen swill for $10 and change. I'm not saying that the food at Fontana is gourmet (even though I have had some really good meals there), but I certainly never heard any complaints about the food the last two events. (Well, Sharon was a bit perturbed that someone took her picture while she was eating cannoli )
Old 03-27-2015, 08:58 AM

To be honest, I'm tired of all the lies and cover ups. Ken was kind enough to show the cost breakdown which eased a lot of people's minds and put to bed any accusations of people pocketing money. But like I said, just tired of all the lies and cover ups. Everything is out in the open now and everyone can choose what they want to do.

If you want to register, go for it. If not, that's cool too. If you have the ability to use AAA, more power to you.
Old 03-27-2015, 09:02 AM
Member (Premium)

Originally Posted by ForgetMyNameX07
Originally Posted by kgf3076' timestamp='1427474963' post='23557031
[quote name='ForgetMyNameX07' timestamp='1427468032' post='23556835']
[quote name='Lovetodrive2000' timestamp='1427464565' post='23556730']What the heck is wrong with people...... nobody is making you attend this event... If you don't like the cost, just stay home!I checked, and my AAA rate was still higher for a lodge room, than the rate that Ken got.

[/quote]

"I don't want anybody to drive all that wayjust to find out they don't have a room"

[/quote]
And here is what I wrote afterwards.

I inadvertently left out a word on the original post and so have deleted the list because I feel it was divisive and led to some misunderstanding. Reservations will (obviously) not be canceled, however, the group discount will not apply as people who haven't registered are not part of the group. This has always been the policy and I hope you understand why it's necessary. Please let your people know. I'm looking for ways to make the event less expensive and so I'd like any suggestions you may have. Suggestions (and active participation) are always welcomed, always have been and, as long as I have anything to do with it, always will be.

-ken
Old 03-27-2015, 09:07 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Lovetodrive2000
What the heck is wrong with people...... nobody is making you attend this event... If you don't like the cost, just stay home!

I checked, and my AAA rate was still higher for a lodge room, than the rate that Ken got.
27k posts and no stars... What the heck is wrong with people.....
Old 03-27-2015, 09:11 AM

Originally Posted by ForgetMyNameX07' timestamp='1427475238' post='23557038
[quote name='kgf3076' timestamp='1427474963' post='23557031']
[quote name='ForgetMyNameX07' timestamp='1427468032' post='23556835']

[/quote]

[/quote]
And here is what I wrote afterwards.

I inadvertently left out a word on the original post and so have deleted the list because I feel it was divisive and led to some misunderstanding. Reservations will (obviously) not be canceled, however, the group discount will not apply as people who haven't registered are not part of the group. This has always been the policy and I hope you understand why it's necessary. Please let your people know. I'm looking for ways to make the event less expensive and so I'd like any suggestions you may have. Suggestions (and active participation) are always welcomed, always have been and, as long as I have anything to do with it, always will be.

-ken
[/quote]

I really hate to keep this going but there is a difference in leaving out the discount and "I don't want anybody to drive all that way and find out they don't have a room."

And while we're at it I noticed another piece. Your original post had a different message at the bottom (see attached) than it did when I clicked to reply. Real nice, guy.

Attached Thumbnails RtD Transparency-cabin2.jpg  
Old 03-27-2015, 09:11 AM
Community Organizer

Received 226 Likes on 143 Posts

Originally Posted by Habitforming
Originally Posted by Ricky_Flowers_' timestamp='1427474674' post='23557022

Just curious - what would you replace it with? The banquet is the one time that we have to get the whole group together; recognize those members that have travelled the farthest, or participated the longest; give out raffle prizes; and enjoy others' videos & photos from the weekend.

I agree we pay too much per person for what is typically sub-par food. But unfortunately our hands are tied as Fontana won't allow outside food vendors, and there is nowhere else nearby to get everyone together under one roof. Would everyone be willing to drive 1 hr to alcoa or 45 minutes to some large restaurant in Maryville for a saturday night get together?

Plus, probably about $10 of that is for the room, tables, chairs, projector, PA system, etc. So it's only $27 for undercooked chicken

Originally Posted by Ricky_Flowers_' timestamp='1427474674' post='23557022

Too bad those "under-coked chicken cutlets" aren't on the menu. I'll order them just for you, Ricky. As a matter of fact, there has never been anything resembling under-cooked chicken cutlets at any banquet that I have EVER planned. If I won't eat it, I damned sure won't order it for some of my best friends. Sure you can eat for less. McDonalds will be happy to give you flash frozen swill for $10 and change. I'm not saying that the food at Fontana is gourmet (even though I have had some really good meals there), but I certainly never heard any complaints about the food the last two events. (Well, Sharon was a bit perturbed that someone took her picture while she was eating cannoli )
My food was undercooked. I don't care. Maybe I was an isolated case, it's no big deal. I went and got another one, that fixed the problem.

I'm not trying to call anyone out, I'm not trying to ruffle any feathers, but there absolutely has to be a way to get the group together on Saturday night without renting out a banquet room. How about we set up a projection screen outside, trade stories, and barbecue in the afternoon when it's not so hot out? Burgers/hot dogs for everyone, bring your own beer, whatever. We could set up the speakers and projection equipment that would have otherwise been used in a banquet hall outdoors. If the idea all along was to say that we're having a "banquet" or whatever, fine, but if it's not then why don't we just move the festivities outside? Hell, I'll even help set up.

Also, the logo design: why don't we make it user-submitted? We have so much traffic on this sub-forum from the regulars that we could have a few design submissions and have a vote before the deadline to make the shirts and magnets. I feel like this will help with any transparency issues, and will definitely increase orders for RTD merchandise going forward. Again, I will happily submit a design and organize the voting process if it at all helps you moving forward.

Bottom line, this is an issue that we probably ought to try and change for NEXT year, and that won't happen unless a discussion is opened.

Quick Reply: RtD Transparency