Dragon Events Tail of the Dragon (Highway US129) 318 curves in 11 miles, is America’s number one motorcycle and sports car road.

RtD Transparency

Old 03-27-2015, 04:06 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ForgetMyNameX07
In regards to the group rate selling point there have been years I've registered and gotten a lower rate through other means (military). I understand a lot of people can't get the military rate but I have heard from others that AAA members get the same discount as military which is cheaper than the group rate given with registering.
I wasn't going to bring that up
Old 03-27-2015, 05:00 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Mack21
Originally Posted by ForgetMyNameX07' timestamp='1427456051' post='23556601
In regards to the group rate selling point there have been years I've registered and gotten a lower rate through other means (military). I understand a lot of people can't get the military rate but I have heard from others that AAA members get the same discount as military which is cheaper than the group rate given with registering.
The thread is labeled "RtD Transparency" isn't it?
Old 03-27-2015, 05:05 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Mack21' timestamp='1427458009' post='23556625
[quote name='ForgetMyNameX07' timestamp='1427456051' post='23556601']In regards to the group rate selling point there have been years I've registered and gotten a lower rate through other means (military). I understand a lot of people can't get the military rate but I have heard from others that AAA members get the same discount as military which is cheaper than the group rate given with registering.
The thread is labeled "RtD Transparency" isn't it?
[/quote]

It is. I had nothing to do with rates, discounts, or planning. I found out about alternate discounts on my own. I was only asking what was involved with the registration fee.
Old 03-27-2015, 05:56 AM

Received 169 Likes on 150 Posts

What the heck is wrong with people...... nobody is making you attend this event... If you don't like the cost, just stay home!

I checked, and my AAA rate was still higher for a lodge room, than the rate that Ken got.
Old 03-27-2015, 06:01 AM
Member (Premium)

Received 1,135 Likes on 768 Posts

And now that I have found out that there are lower rates available via AAA, I have asked that the rates for the Dragon meets be modified. Thanks for letting me know.
Old 03-27-2015, 06:41 AM
Site Moderator
Super Moderator

Received 2,867 Likes on 2,079 Posts

Originally Posted by Lovetodrive2000
What the heck is wrong with people...... nobody is making you attend this event... If you don't like the cost, just stay home!

I checked, and my AAA rate was still higher for a lodge room, than the rate that Ken got.
People are merely making suggestions and comments, that's all. There have always been people who question the fees, we should all be able to respond like adults, maturely and with respect.

The log cabin I booked was not on the list reserved by Ken, I was then offered the AAA discount (as I'm a member) and it was lower than the discounted rate for the 3 bed Magnolia cabin.
Old 03-27-2015, 06:53 AM

Originally Posted by Lovetodrive2000
What the heck is wrong with people...... nobody is making you attend this event... If you don't like the cost, just stay home!I checked, and my AAA rate was still higher for a lodge room, than the rate that Ken got.
This all started from word that Ken would be releasing reservations of those saying they were attending but not registering. That pissed a lot of people off (myself included). Calls were made to Fontana (by many individuals from different groups) and they communicated to us that they were assured that no one could release reservations but could take away the group rate. So now people were looking to go ahead and register to keep the group rate up until someone mentioned they got a AAA discount rate. Problem solved for those not wanting to register but have a discounted cabin.

Many saw this as a way to strong arm people into registering and then became curious as to the costs associated with the registration price. No one is making anyone attend an event but when word gets out about releasing someones reservation they tend to get pissed off.

So now we have one saying the AAA rate is higher and another stating Dragon rates are being adjusted to reflect AAA price. Something is off here...
Old 03-27-2015, 07:46 AM

Originally Posted by Lovetodrive2000' timestamp='1427464565' post='23556730
What the heck is wrong with people...... nobody is making you attend this event... If you don't like the cost, just stay home!I checked, and my AAA rate was still higher for a lodge room, than the rate that Ken got.
This all started from word that Ken would be releasing reservations of those saying they were attending but not registering. That pissed a lot of people off (myself included). Calls were made to Fontana (by many individuals from different groups) and they communicated to us that they were assured that no one could release reservations but could take away the group rate. So now people were looking to go ahead and register to keep the group rate up until someone mentioned they got a AAA discount rate. Problem solved for those not wanting to register but have a discounted cabin.

Many saw this as a way to strong arm people into registering and then became curious as to the costs associated with the registration price. No one is making anyone attend an event but when word gets out about releasing someones reservation they tend to get pissed off.

So now we have one saying the AAA rate is higher and another stating Dragon rates are being adjusted to reflect AAA price. Something is off here...
I don't think Ken ever said that he would be releasing people's reservations . If so, it was certainly poorly worded and not his intent. It sounds to me more like someone misunderstood what he said, and took it in the worst possibly way. Someone just looking to be pissed off about something - the world sure is full of them. Apparently I stand corrected on this issue.

It has always been the case that to get the discounted event rate, you have to be registered for the event. I think this is entirely reasonable. Of course he wouldn't have the power to tell Fontana who can & cannot stay on their property.

If you are so concerned/suspicious about the difference in pricing between rack rate, our event rate, and AAA rate just call Fontana and get the numbers. There is no great conspiracy here.

Events like this take time, money, and a lot of effort on various peoples' parts to organize & pull off. Yes it's a public road and you can drive it any time you want. But if you want to be a part of this great and long standing event, surely its reasonable to chip in and register! I think the list provided by Ken at the beginning of the thread makes it pretty clear that you're getting good value for your investment, and no one is getting rich off of the paltry registration fee. Heck, most of us will spend 3x that fee just on gas for the weekend, not to mention the trip there & back, and the cost of lodging.

Better yet, if you don't like it - get involved! Start participating in the planning & preparation. Try to line up sponsors to help bring the costs down, or do your own negotiation with Fontana and save us all a few $.
Old 03-27-2015, 08:24 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by sam_spider
Originally Posted by Lovetodrive2000' timestamp='1427464565' post='23556730

People are merely making suggestions and comments, that's all. There have always been people who question the fees, we should all be able to respond like adults, maturely and with respect.

The log cabin I booked was not on the list reserved by Ken, I was then offered the AAA discount (as I'm a member) and it was lower than the discounted rate for the 3 bed Magnolia cabin.
My rate is also cheaper than the group dragon rate via AAA in a 3 bedroom. I've been staying in the background from this whole thing because I think it's silly the way the WTD or RTD has been handled the last few years. I'm sure many others feel the same way as me. I enjoy seeing particular people, which is why I go the weekend that I do. If this ends up being a problem next year, I'm just going to go a different weekend. I always end up doing my own thing anyway, but it's nice to have a few beers with people that I only see once a year. But this drama is just over the top and more crap that we shouldn't have to deal with.

As for fontana giving us a discount - we can get rid of the baseball field and whatever else we need to do and still get the discounted rate. I spoke to them about all of this - and it's quite simple. I'm sure she won't want to talk to 50 people about the same thing over and over again, so I won't encourage everyone else to call and find out for themselves.

All in all - I hope everyone has a good weekend. That's what this is supposed to be about. I also however wish that this trip can be planned way better and way more detailed in future years. It has become a mess. Too focused on a registration fee and not worried enough about everything else that is SUPPOSED to come with it such as making memories, making friends, and enjoy a relaxing weekend (or week).
Old 03-27-2015, 08:41 AM

Originally Posted by essstwokay
Originally Posted by sam_spider' timestamp='1427467284' post='23556818
[quote name='Lovetodrive2000' timestamp='1427464565' post='23556730']

My rate is also cheaper than the group dragon rate via AAA in a 3 bedroom. I've been staying in the background from this whole thing because I think it's silly the way the WTD or RTD has been handled the last few years. I'm sure many others feel the same way as me. I enjoy seeing particular people, which is why I go the weekend that I do. If this ends up being a problem next year, I'm just going to go a different weekend. I always end up doing my own thing anyway, but it's nice to have a few beers with people that I only see once a year. But this drama is just over the top and more crap that we shouldn't have to deal with.

As for fontana giving us a discount - we can get rid of the baseball field and whatever else we need to do and still get the discounted rate. I spoke to them about all of this - and it's quite simple. I'm sure she won't want to talk to 50 people about the same thing over and over again, so I won't encourage everyone else to call and find out for themselves.

All in all - I hope everyone has a good weekend. That's what this is supposed to be about. I also however wish that this trip can be planned way better and way more detailed in future years. It has become a mess. Too focused on a registration fee and not worried enough about everything else that is SUPPOSED to come with it such as making memories, making friends, and enjoy a relaxing weekend (or week).
[/quote]

Can you explain in more detail what it is you feel is missing or should be improved? Also, please feel free to contribute to planning in the future, if you feel it is lacking

Quick Reply: RtD Transparency