Dragon Events Tail of the Dragon (Highway US129) 318 curves in 11 miles, is America’s number one motorcycle and sports car road.

RtD Transparency

Old 03-26-2015, 06:29 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by kgf3076
Originally Posted by TPhong' timestamp='1427295462' post='23554054
[quote name='//steve\\' timestamp='1427246949' post='23553484']
Do people really think the event registration is that expensive? I'm certainly not rich or anything but the cost doesn't seem outrageous to me. It's hard to me to believe people are willing to pay for gas, get a cabin/hotel/lodge/etc, pay for food nearby, but then the registration fee is the thing that actually keeps them from coming? Just my thoughts....
It's not expensive for one person, but when you factor in your +1 (or a family in some cases), it can get a little pricey. To an extent, we are at Fontana's mercy when it comes to pricing.

This is my personal opinion, but why not offer the option of choosing what you'd like to participate in.

i.e.
Event Registration (includes shirt): $40
Event Registration (w/o shirt): $15
Friday Ballfield Picnic: $13
Saturday Night Banquet: $37
Additional Shirt: $25(or whatever the price of a shirt is)

If Person A wants a shirt, participate in the picnic Friday night, but not the banquet. They would pay $53 ($40+$13).
If Person B doesn't want a shirt, and won't be there until Saturday morning, but wants to enjoy the banquet. They would pay $52 ($15+$37).

It doesn't have to be broken down this much, but depending on what "package" you choose, is what you'll pay for. Maybe offer 2-3 different kind of packages, and offer a slight discount for those who want to participate in all events.

Also, I enjoyed seeing the current year's logo ahead of time. It helped me decide whether I wanted the shirt or not, instead of waiting to be suprised/disappointed that I did or didn't buy a shirt.

These are all just suggestions.
Toyo, if you remember, Raul tried this one time and frankly, it can turn into a cluster. Very few people see all of the planning that goes on in the background to bring this off. Doing this as a cafeteria plan with over 200 people could be horrendous. I'm willing to try something similar for DFR which is a smaller event. Cafeteria plans can be good or bad. They don't give you the advantage you get when you can stipulate exactly how many people are going to do what. Generally, you get one price for 100 people doing something and a higher price for only 10. That's the advantage of large numbers. There is also the group rate for rooms/cabins at Fontana. That part is one of the hidden benefits because most people don't realize what the actual price is. It's the reward for registering. Without the group rate, you pay whatever Fontana charges.

As for the logo, it's on the registration page. It's been that way for a couple of years now.
I like the suggestions, please keep them coming. I'm certainly open to changing what can be changed to make this event bigger and better for everyone.
[/quote]

Also I keep seeing the group rate being brought up. It's my impression that you get group rates for groups showing up to something, not necessarily all of the extra things that are tacked on to the event. Lets say that there wasn't anything happening in fontana beyond us staying in the hotel and cabins. Are we sure they're not going to give us a group rate for bringing 150+ people to their business?

FWIW, I'd be game for scrapping the banquet and having 2 ball field nights.
Old 03-26-2015, 06:31 AM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by SkiLLeDS2000
When I ask people why don't they go to the dragon, most of them say it's the cost to register. If a breakdown of the cost was available, maybe more people would be willing to register. As long as people have a clear picture, thats good for the community. To mock the question makes no sense to me. Let's stay on topic. My range of people I ask involves the Mid-a, del-Val and NY metro. Pretty large group imo.

Speaking of which, I was at an autocross in DC yesterday and I was the only one to even know about the dragon meet out of all of the S2000 owners. That made me question, how many owners that are enthusiasts have no idea about this meet?

Does this meet even have a FB event page?

Also, ken, in the future, I can get t-shirts for 6-7 bucks wholesale, just pm me and I can send you the info.
This is why unfortunately we stopped doing "super meets" in Fl. We would organize I nice event with t-shirts and food and then people think we are making a profit off of the event. If you had a clue to what it takes to put on a event of this size with ZERO COMPENSATION then you would understand. Really sad since the S2k community is such a tight group that this is the mentality. I spend $500-600 on gas alone. Sure the food sucks at Fontana but I'm not attending to eat a quality meal. I'm not paying to drive on a public road. I'm paying to support the event and to make this event possible. To make memories and meet new friends. The dragon is free and you can drive it year round. About 99% of the guys from Florida after attending this event 1 time have continued to come back. We are are all friends and a nice community. A thank you is what should be said to the organization of this event. Not questions on where is your money going? It's not expensive. The Nsx events I have attended are $200-300 a person and you get nothing more then you get with the S2k group. A price like that I would question. End of rant......
Old 03-26-2015, 09:43 AM
Member (Premium)

Received 1,135 Likes on 768 Posts

Originally Posted by Mack21
Originally Posted by kgf3076' timestamp='1427298309' post='23554106
[quote name='TPhong' timestamp='1427295462' post='23554054']
Do people really think the event registration is that expensive? I'm certainly not rich or anything but the cost doesn't seem outrageous to me. It's hard to me to believe people are willing to pay for gas, get a cabin/hotel/lodge/etc, pay for food nearby, but then the registration fee is the thing that actually keeps them from coming? Just my thoughts....
It's not expensive for one person, but when you factor in your +1 (or a family in some cases), it can get a little pricey. To an extent, we are at Fontana's mercy when it comes to pricing.

This is my personal opinion, but why not offer the option of choosing what you'd like to participate in.

i.e.

If Person A wants a shirt, participate in the picnic Friday night, but not the banquet. They would pay $53 ($40+$13).
If Person B doesn't want a shirt, and won't be there until Saturday morning, but wants to enjoy the banquet. They would pay $52 ($15+$37).

It doesn't have to be broken down this much, but depending on what "package" you choose, is what you'll pay for. Maybe offer 2-3 different kind of packages, and offer a slight discount for those who want to participate in all events.

Also, I enjoyed seeing the current year's logo ahead of time. It helped me decide whether I wanted the shirt or not, instead of waiting to be suprised/disappointed that I did or didn't buy a shirt.

Toyo, if you remember, Raul tried this one time and frankly, it can turn into a cluster. Very few people see all of the planning that goes on in the background to bring this off. Doing this as a cafeteria plan with over 200 people could be horrendous. I'm willing to try something similar for DFR which is a smaller event. Cafeteria plans can be good or bad. They don't give you the advantage you get when you can stipulate exactly how many people are going to do what. Generally, you get one price for 100 people doing something and a higher price for only 10. That's the advantage of large numbers. There is also the group rate for rooms/cabins at Fontana. That part is one of the hidden benefits because most people don't realize what the actual price is. It's the reward for registering. Without the group rate, you pay whatever Fontana charges.

As for the logo, it's on the registration page. It's been that way for a couple of years now.
I like the suggestions, please keep them coming. I'm certainly open to changing what can be changed to make this event bigger and better for everyone.
[/quote]

Also I keep seeing the group rate being brought up. It's my impression that you get group rates for groups showing up to something, not necessarily all of the extra things that are tacked on to the event. Lets say that there wasn't anything happening in fontana beyond us staying in the hotel and cabins. Are we sure they're not going to give us a group rate for bringing 150+ people to their business?

[/quote]
The hotel/site/resort/whatever balances the loss of room revenue with the gains in food and beverage sales. If a hotel/resort can rent a room for $125 a night with no problem (as Fontana can), why do you think they discount rooms for us? It's not out of the goodness of their hearts, it's that any loss of room revenue is made up in other financial streams or to put it in the vernacular, the lord giveth and the lord taketh away. Hotels aren't in the business of giving away rooms, so any loss in one revenue stream is made up in another. That's how they stay in business. About bringing 150+ people? Other than taking rooms that they can sell anyway, what are you trading for a low rate? If you don't buy their services, (and I'm being somewhat vulgar here) what is in it for the business?

The two dates for the Dragon events have been established due to availability, not because I prefer those dates. Three years ago, I tried to move both dates, Spring to a weekend later and the Fall event one weekend earlier. The place was booked solid on both weekends. At one time I was contemplating a small mid-Summer event. Between weddings, other car clubs, the trail hikers and scheduled events, there was nothing. Fortunately, I have signed contracts for a couple of years which guarantees room rates and a HQ for the Dragon events. Because of this long-term commitment, the Dragon meets get good room rates and a break on food and beverage pricing.

For the Fall meet, I'm going to change a few things just to see how much things can change and still have a great meet. I'm aiming to have registration about $20 less and because it will be less, some of the amenities will be curtailed or dropped. The Friday night picnic is going to be changed, and there will be tiered pricing for things. (actually, I believe that was Toyo's idea). I might implement the two ball field picnics just to see if people like that.

I like the suggestions, keep them coming.
Old 03-26-2015, 10:12 AM

Originally Posted by Mack21' timestamp='1427380163' post='23555308
[quote name='kgf3076' timestamp='1427298309' post='23554106']
[quote name='TPhong' timestamp='1427295462' post='23554054']

i.e.

[/quote]

[/quote]
The hotel/site/resort/whatever balances the loss of room revenue with the gains in food and beverage sales. If a hotel/resort can rent a room for $125 a night with no problem (as Fontana can), why do you think they discount rooms for us? It's not out of the goodness of their hearts, it's that any loss of room revenue is made up in other financial streams or to put it in the vernacular, the lord giveth and the lord taketh away. Hotels aren't in the business of giving away rooms, so any loss in one revenue stream is made up in another. That's how they stay in business. About bringing 150+ people? Other than taking rooms that they can sell anyway, what are you trading for a low rate? If you don't buy their services, (and I'm being somewhat vulgar here) what is in it for the business?

The two dates for the Dragon events have been established due to availability, not because I prefer those dates. Three years ago, I tried to move both dates, Spring to a weekend later and the Fall event one weekend earlier. The place was booked solid on both weekends. At one time I was contemplating a small mid-Summer event. Between weddings, other car clubs, the trail hikers and scheduled events, there was nothing. Fortunately, I have signed contracts for a couple of years which guarantees room rates and a HQ for the Dragon events. Because of this long-term commitment, the Dragon meets get good room rates and a break on food and beverage pricing.

For the Fall meet, I'm going to change a few things just to see how much things can change and still have a great meet. I'm aiming to have registration about $20 less and because it will be less, some of the amenities will be curtailed or dropped. The Friday night picnic is going to be changed, and there will be tiered pricing for things. (actually, I believe that was Toyo's idea). I might implement the two ball field picnics just to see if people like that.

I like the suggestions, keep them coming.
[/quote]

Ok ok ok I see what you're saying, but 150 people are coming to your resort or someone else's... what can you do for me that the other can't?

I'm in the business of BUYING things. If I don't like the price of whatever part, I go elsewhere, my main supplier knows this. He does everything in his power to give me the lowest price(and it shows) because I buy in volume and he know's he isn't the only game in town.

I can't give my own opinion of the banquet as I've never been. Just based on the rumblings of other people and my plans for the weekend, I'll probably skip it.
Old 03-26-2015, 10:13 AM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Hopefully this transparency will clear the air and t can be stickied or pinned for all to see
Old 03-26-2015, 10:26 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Blacknot
Hopefully this transparency will clear the air and t can be stickied or pinned for all to see

in the distant past I had some grumblings about the price of the event - this is years ago when it was more than it is now. Knowing the costs of what goes into it, I don't have anything negative to say about the current pricing.

Though at $37/head for the banquet, they could at least provide sodas!!!
Old 03-26-2015, 10:31 AM

Originally Posted by Blacknot
I concur. I never had any suspicion of foul play. For some reason the S2000 crowd hates paying for events, be it $70 or $5. It's good that they can see what goes into it because it is quite involved.
Old 03-26-2015, 01:04 PM
Member (Premium)

Originally Posted by Mack21
Ok ok ok I see what you're saying, but 150 people are coming to your resort or someone else's... what can you do for me that the other can't?

I'm in the business of BUYING things. If I don't like the price of whatever part, I go elsewhere, my main supplier knows this. He does everything in his power to give me the lowest price(and it shows) because I buy in volume and he know's he isn't the only game in town.

I can't give my own opinion of the banquet as I've never been. Just based on the rumblings of other people and my plans for the weekend, I'll probably skip it.
Uh-huh. Closest place to do that is Alcoa. Hilton by the airport. I've been dealing with Hilton for over 15 years. I got the best price I could (after a LOT of negotiation), still more than Fontana and still wanted us to eat there. Also roughly 20 miles to the Dragon. Other place is Tapoco Lodge. Unfortunately, they're being sold or closed. The price they offered was 3 times higher than Fontana. Of course you can always go to Robbinsville, That's closer and you can drive all the way up 129 to Deal's Gap. You will have to compete with the HD riders for rooms and there aren't 150 rooms there.
What I'm trying to say is that options are limited and have been vetted and Fontana is still the best deal around.

Too bad you're going to miss the banquet. I think this one will be talked about for quite some time. I'll just give you (and anyone else who's interested) a small hint. Smoked Porky Goodness! (and no, it's not Mikey )
Old 03-26-2015, 01:05 PM
Member (Premium)

Originally Posted by Habitforming
Originally Posted by Blacknot' timestamp='1427393603' post='23555655

in the distant past I had some grumblings about the price of the event - this is years ago when it was more than it is now. Knowing the costs of what goes into it, I don't have anything negative to say about the current pricing.

Now you know this is the South. Y'all get all the iced tea you can drink...
Old 03-26-2015, 01:12 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Habitforming' timestamp='1427394380' post='23555681
[quote name='Blacknot' timestamp='1427393603' post='23555655']

Now you know this is the South. Y'all get all the iced tea you can drink...
[/quote]

No, not "iced" tea... SWEET tea!!!! It's Kool-Aid for grown-ups!

Quick Reply: RtD Transparency