Dragon Events Tail of the Dragon (Highway US129) 318 curves in 11 miles, is America’s number one motorcycle and sports car road.

RtD Transparency

Old 03-27-2015, 12:46 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Lovetodrive2000
Originally Posted by Mack21' timestamp='1427476070' post='23557066
[quote name='Lovetodrive2000' timestamp='1427464565' post='23556730']
What the heck is wrong with people...... nobody is making you attend this event... If you don't like the cost, just stay home!

I checked, and my AAA rate was still higher for a lodge room, than the rate that Ken got.
27k posts and no stars... What the heck is wrong with people.....
I just don't know what to say here.....

Just flabbergasted how this thread has gone downhill due to a few people.

BTW... you do realize those stars show how long you have been a member of the site don't ya?

I let my membership run out due to some differences in how the site was being ran, when it was sold.
[/quote]

Originally Posted by starchland
Reading the posts I'm starting to wonder if some complaining have ever been to an event. Nobody is forcing you to attend this event. It can't be an easy thing to organize, and you can never satisfy everyone all the time. The people complaining maybe should try organizing their own event, who knows they might be able to turn a profit.

I was going to keep my figure to myself, but, I know of a healthy mix of long time attendees as well as event newcomers that have not registered for the event. There's probably close to 30, maybe more, it seems like more but I can't speak on those cabins to confirm. I'm perfectly happy to come down, cruise around on my own, see some friends that have or haven't registered and be merry. But like I said earlier, if the food sucks, I'm not paying for it. But unlike you folks, I'll voice my opinions, in a calm, civilized manner, to let management know why I'm not paying.

The one's that have ruined the conversation and thread are the ones that have chimed in, as guests in particular, without adding anything constructive. They're crying that people are asking for clarification on costs, transparency, and asking if things have been thought of to make it better and suggesting new ideas to actually make it better, without adding anything themselves. Lets say there are 30 people that are going to be at the gap, they own an s2000, but haven't paid... That's a decent chunk of change that could go towards the event had they been satisfied with what's going on(again, a large group are long time attendees.)

If you're still reading, no, I haven't been to this particular event yet. I've been to the dragon on my own, on a Harley so I know what's there and what the area is like. I was told the cabin I paid for, is going to be forfeited and I'll be responsible for paying the costs to fontana and I'll show up with nowhere to stay. The same thing happened to a list(which you haven't seen have you?) of other people. The reason I started this thread was to show those people what the registration paid for and to have a discussion in a civilized manner. It doesn't take 10 golden stars to ask questions, get clarification, and question why things can't be done better.

TepEvan just stated he likes the ball field bbq. That was constructive and I thank him for that. It seems to be the general consensus ..
Old 03-27-2015, 12:49 PM

And another thing, if Ken thinks 100 people are going to register, yet 150 actually register, of course he's going to have a little extra cash floating around. But like he mentioned, he'd put that towards the next years event and I think at this point, he should be respected enough and trusted to do that.

Sorry Ken, this isn't a bash Ken party... it's a call to management to say my steak isn't cooked right.
Old 03-27-2015, 12:56 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

wait, you got steak? all I got was this crappy undercooked chicken breast
Old 03-27-2015, 12:58 PM

Originally Posted by Habitforming

Old 03-27-2015, 01:01 PM
Member (Premium)

Received 91 Likes on 82 Posts

I like the ball field meet, but I also like the banquet as it brings everyone together, and we can reflect on the past few days, to me it's the main social event which I look forward to, also because I know everyone attends this one. Keeping it inside works well if the weather doesn't cooperate. Lets see how this event unfolds before we criticize too much.
Old 03-27-2015, 01:01 PM

Mack21. On point with all stated.
Old 03-27-2015, 01:02 PM

Originally Posted by starchland
I like the ball field meet, but I also like the banquet as it brings everyone together, and we can reflect on the past few days, to me it's the main social event which I look forward to, also because I know everyone attends this one. Keeping it inside works well if the weather doesn't cooperate.
Thanks for bringing something to the table! This is a pro.
Old 03-27-2015, 01:03 PM
Community Organizer

Received 226 Likes on 143 Posts

Originally Posted by Habitforming
Old 03-27-2015, 01:10 PM

Received 169 Likes on 150 Posts

Originally Posted by Mack21
Originally Posted by zenairdave' timestamp='1427479787' post='23557153
My funnest S2000 event of the year is just a few days away and I paid my money and am coming to enjoy it. Can we stop wasting time on the cost of a fun weekend and get back to why the event exists... Its a LOT of fun. Period

Members are having a discussion on how to change the event to make it better for the group. Have any suggestions?

I've only heard great things about the ballpark meet up, everyone seems super pumped to go there. The only grumblings that I've heard are about the banquet, which just so happens to be 67% of the cost of the event. WTD/RTD is the event, the rest of the stuff is filler to get people together for a common purpose.

I've said we should consider 2 ball park nights. Who cares about having a PA and projector. If you really want to hear Ken speak, I can have him call me and let him speak through the bluetooth sound system in my car. You can hear him miles away...

Double ballpark night pros-
-Burgers and dogs (everyone knows what to expect with burgers and dogs, they literally can not be messed up with a mediocre cook)
-Considerably cheaper
-We're surrounded by our cars, we can actually take a peak from afar and see that they are still there. I do it in restaurants, can't do that in the banquet room
-If someone farts nearby, it's instantly wafted away into the atmosphere, you don't have to sit in the fart

Cons-
-Potential for the R word
-Bug bites
How many of the Dragon events have you attended?

Normally, by 8:00 on Friday night, it is 45-50 degrees out....and then the sun goes down.... I would prefer to not be standing out in these temps, talking to people for an extended time.

Not sure who you are talking to, but the banquet is a blast, being able to go talk to 100-200 of your friends, going from table to table.....

Yes, the banquet needs some help..... door prizes would really make it more enjoyable.....would YOU be willing to take this on to help out?

Maybe we should start a poll, to see if the banquet is wanted?
Old 03-27-2015, 01:18 PM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I happen to like the banquet. It switches up the mood a little with something structured that everyone is there for in one spot. Kudos to all the organizers for their hard work year after year keeping this whole event going and improving on it where possible. You certainly cannot please everyone, and just like the variety of drives and cruises available to people, unfortunately this is one area we don't have a whole lot of options. So should we just "deal with it?". Not necessarily, no. But bear in mind the people who are putting all this together are doing it for the love of the group, and giving selflessly of their time and resources to make it happen. This is a MAJOR undertaking, folks. I've done my share of setting up big drives. This is way beyond that. We all need to be working TOGETHER to make everyone's trip a great one. This is my first vacation in over a year and half. And this is EXACTLY where I want to be, and exactly WHO I want to be with! Don't lose sight of the group. We are in this together.

Remember that some people are sacrificing some of their vacation time to make sure YOU get the most out of YOURS.

Quick Reply: RtD Transparency