Dragon Events Tail of the Dragon (Highway US129) 318 curves in 11 miles, is America’s number one motorcycle and sports car road.

RtD Transparency

Old 03-27-2015, 11:48 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Ricky_Flowers_
Originally Posted by Mack21' timestamp='1427485443' post='23557321
[quote name='goldenfri' timestamp='1427485304' post='23557317']
Ok, some of the comments on the last page are coming across pretty assholeish and were pissing me off. cover ups and lies? really?

This is my favorite event of the whole year and the idea that people for whatever reason, too cheap, too cool, etc that don't want to pay for it could ruin the event annoys me a lot.

I think there is definitely room for change and improvement, but right before the event is probably not the best time for it. It kind of puts a damper on the excitement with people bitching before the event even starts. I think a pow wow/ round table etc round table at the event is a good idea and it would be great to get more people involved in planning.
I agree. I'd be fine with locking the thread until after the dragon. We have 12 days!! I've quit focusing at work because I'm envisioning apex after apex.
You should be envisioning staying in your lane, not apexing the dragon.....
[/quote]

I can hit apexs in my lane... I've been to the dragon before good sir.
Old 03-27-2015, 11:49 AM
Community Organizer

Received 226 Likes on 143 Posts

Originally Posted by Mack21
Originally Posted by Ricky_Flowers_' timestamp='1427485533' post='23557323
[quote name='Mack21' timestamp='1427485443' post='23557321']
[quote name='goldenfri' timestamp='1427485304' post='23557317']
Ok, some of the comments on the last page are coming across pretty assholeish and were pissing me off. cover ups and lies? really?

This is my favorite event of the whole year and the idea that people for whatever reason, too cheap, too cool, etc that don't want to pay for it could ruin the event annoys me a lot.

I think there is definitely room for change and improvement, but right before the event is probably not the best time for it. It kind of puts a damper on the excitement with people bitching before the event even starts. I think a pow wow/ round table etc round table at the event is a good idea and it would be great to get more people involved in planning.
I agree. I'd be fine with locking the thread until after the dragon. We have 12 days!! I've quit focusing at work because I'm envisioning apex after apex.
You should be envisioning staying in your lane, not apexing the dragon.....
[/quote]

I can hit apexs in my lane... I've been to the dragon before good sir.
[/quote]

Old 03-27-2015, 11:54 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Habitforming' timestamp='1427482333' post='23557229
Also I've asked a couple times but no one has offered an answer. Will saving $15-20 really make all of the difference between all of this complaining and everyone being content? In the context of the weekend's cost, that is such a small sum I find it difficult to believe that is all the savings we need. So more to the point of the question - do people want/expect the event to be free?
I'm not sure that the $15-20 is the issue. I'd rather pay 60-70 for an event that is near flawless, complaint free, and one that other people enthusiastically tell me to register for.

When Mods and people with a lot of fancy red and gold stars on this page say that I shouldn't register... huge red flag. I'll pay for quality. I'm not a fan of arbitrarily paying for something because it's the thing to do. If the event is improved and the price just so happens to go down as well, even better! It's been said that 67% of the fee goes to the banquet. If we scrap that, we save $40. Take that difference and put it towards another ball park night or an alternative of some sort. I'm sure I'll have better idea's once I get to the dragon again with this group.
Great input, thank you. One of our big problems is that there isn't much we can do about food quality - we're at Fontana's mercy. We have told them for years that we find their food to be sub par, and it improves a bit each year but let's face it - we're in the back woods of NC. We can't expect culinary excellence. That said, if food is improperly prepared or served, that should be brought to the attention of the organizers IMMEDIATELY so that it can be dealt with properly. The organizers did spring for a little extra on the banquet dinner this time around for a better food option that hopefully will beat expectations.

Originally Posted by SkiLLeDS2000
I think we don't want to lose Fontana. Example, the Fiat group will be down there the same weekend as us and they are scattered all over the place because their main hotel, called the Tally ho inn is too small and over 30 mins from the Dragon.

I hate to say it, but the fiat group is super organized. Links for reference

https://fs24.formsit...rm15/index.html

https://www.facebook...?ref=ts&fref=ts

We ruffle feathers, Fontana could say, go pound sand and some other group with 100+ cars could swoop in and we could be in big trouble.

I'm not going to lie, the food at the banquet was absolutely horrible. I drove home right after the banquet and I was really worried about food sickness due to the fact the hot food was a room temperature and kinda slimy. I was so hungry after the long day of diving, had a 9 hour drive ahead of me, and I paid my registration fee I held my nose and ate. Any other circumstance I would have skipped the food.

Also, I see a rift between the "new school" and "old school". That will happen. New school wants some change, old school says, if it ain't broken, don't fix it. Hopefully we all will have a common ground concerning the future of this great event and have a mix of tradition with a twist of new ideas that are embraced by the old school guys.

On that note, there is nothing wrong with debate. It will make this event even better.

My question, in the realm of attendance, where does 2015 rank? Thanks.
Very well stated, and I think easily overlooked, especially by the newer guys that aren't as familiar with the area. There is no other option that comes close to having the proximity and capacity that Fontana does. To some extent, I'm sure they realize that and take advantage of it. But has anyone ever gone to a pro sporting event and bought a beer & hot dog? Same situation.

If we lose Fontana, we're nearly an hour's drive from the dragon, and on the wrong side of the dragon from where most of the other great roads are. I LOVE being located right in the middle of it all, and will put up with lowering my expectations for food because of that.

Originally Posted by Ricky_Flowers_' timestamp='1427482851' post='23557252
[quote name='sam_spider' timestamp='1427482312' post='23557227']
[quote name='Habitforming' timestamp='1427482037' post='23557220']
I was talking with someone about this on PM, and am going to go ahead and offer it here.

I think a group of us should get together during the event, probably Saturday following the banquet, to discuss what could be improved and how to proceed in doing so. I'd also like to see some new blood step up and help organize the event, though I'll leave that to Ken and the other official organizers to decide.

Anyone interested in a pow wow?
I'm up for a pow wow
Sign me up.
[/quote]

I'll pow wow. Maybe at, before or after the Mod/CO meeting?
[/quote]

When/where is the Mod/CO meeting?

Originally Posted by Ricky_Flowers_' timestamp='1427483624' post='23557271
[quote name='Habitforming' timestamp='1427482333' post='23557229']
Also I've asked a couple times but no one has offered an answer. Will saving $15-20 really make all of the difference between all of this complaining and everyone being content? In the context of the weekend's cost, that is such a small sum I find it difficult to believe that is all the savings we need. So more to the point of the question - do people want/expect the event to be free?
I'm not sure that the $15-20 is the issue. I'd rather pay 60-70 for an event that is near flawless, complaint free, and one that other people enthusiastically tell me to register for.

When Mods and people with a lot of fancy red and gold stars on this page say that I shouldn't register... huge red flag. I'll pay for quality. I'm not a fan of arbitrarily paying for something because it's the thing to do. If the event is improved and the price just so happens to go down as well, even better! It's been said that 67% of the fee goes to the banquet. If we scrap that, we save $40. Take that difference and put it towards another ball park night or an alternative of some sort. I'm sure I'll have better idea's once I get to the dragon again with this group.
Everything you've just said..... I agree with.

Let's leave it up to Ken and Andy to decide when they'd like to get together. I'm down to sit down and talk turkey.
[/quote]

Careful now, don't put Ken and I in the same group! I'm freelancing here and for all I know Ken will be that I've said some of what I've said!

Originally Posted by sam_spider
Originally Posted by Habitforming' timestamp='1427482333' post='23557229
I keep seeing "other events" referenced in pricing comparison. Can some of you give us some actual #'s for these other events - where they're located, what they offer, how much they cost, and so on?
Here's the info on the Fiat event - https://fs24.formsit...rm15/index.html

Event Weekend Pass is $50 per FIAT
Includes two meals, t-shirt and name badge laynard!!
$50 per FIAT
REGISTRATION INCLUDES:
(Weekend pass covers driver and passengers for all activities and two dinners)

- Souvenir Event Name Badge Lanyard for Driver (Passenger extras are available)
- Maps and directions with GPS coordinates and meet-up spots for organized drives
- Guided Drives (spirited and relaxed)
- H.P.S.I. sponsored Friday night dinner & Bonfire at the Tally Ho Inn
- Eurocompulsion sponsored FIAT on the Dragon Saturday Night BBQ dinner & Bonfire at the Tally Ho Inn
- One official event T-Shirt (specify size, extras available)
- Three Raffle Tickets for prizes to be drawn on Saturday night
- Bonfires & Social Time at the Tally Ho Inn
- Parking onto Event Field at the Tally Ho Inn
- Official Eurocompulsion Tech assistance
That is an incredible value! I see both of their dinners are sponsored. I'd love to speak with their organizers about how they pulled that off. We've had a difficult time getting much from sponsors for several years now. I'm sure it doesn't help that our car is now out of production

In regards to the t-shirt though, I'd really prefer to pay some extra and only have our event logo, rather than having sponsors foot some of the cost and having ads all over my back.

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I'm far from rich but I have never questioned the price of registration. Is it expensive for what you get in return? Yes it is. That's what Fontana charges not what Ken wants to charge. The banquet is nice and it's nice to have everyone together from all over the country. It's part of the experience. Ever year I leave this event I count down the days until the next one. Leaving with such a positive experience why would I have a issue supporting the event with registering? I have plenty of ugly shirt colors Raul picked out over the years to remind me. Lol

Received 49 Likes on 36 Posts

Zing!!!!!
Old 03-27-2015, 12:02 PM

I just have to say you all have completely f@#ked up my day. I've been so busy discussing I've gotten almost no work done

And also I don't care to see the thread locked. Healthy discussion isn't a bad thing, and hopefully people will find when they get there that their money is well spent.
Old 03-27-2015, 12:04 PM

Received 789 Likes on 477 Posts

Originally Posted by Blacknot
Originally Posted by SkiLLeDS2000' timestamp='1427123311' post='23551056
When I ask people why don't they go to the dragon, most of them say it's the cost to register. If a breakdown of the cost was available, maybe more people would be willing to register. As long as people have a clear picture, thats good for the community. To mock the question makes no sense to me. Let's stay on topic. My range of people I ask involves the Mid-a, del-Val and NY metro. Pretty large group imo.

Speaking of which, I was at an autocross in DC yesterday and I was the only one to even know about the dragon meet out of all of the S2000 owners. That made me question, how many owners that are enthusiasts have no idea about this meet?

Does this meet even have a FB event page?

Also, ken, in the future, I can get t-shirts for 6-7 bucks wholesale, just pm me and I can send you the info.
This is why unfortunately we stopped doing "super meets" in Fl. We would organize I nice event with t-shirts and food and then people think we are making a profit off of the event. If you had a clue to what it takes to put on a event of this size with ZERO COMPENSATION then you would understand. Really sad since the S2k community is such a tight group that this is the mentality. I spend $500-600 on gas alone. Sure the food sucks at Fontana but I'm not attending to eat a quality meal. I'm not paying to drive on a public road. I'm paying to support the event and to make this event possible. To make memories and meet new friends. The dragon is free and you can drive it year round. About 99% of the guys from Florida after attending this event 1 time have continued to come back. We are are all friends and a nice community. A thank you is what should be said to the organization of this event. Not questions on where is your money going? It's not expensive. The Nsx events I have attended are $200-300 a person and you get nothing more then you get with the S2k group. A price like that I would question. End of rant......
I would like to buy you a beer, good sir!

And my $0.02 is that I like the Friday night BBQ, it's probably my favorite event (except when I was unprepared for how cold it was).
Old 03-27-2015, 12:20 PM

Received 169 Likes on 150 Posts

Originally Posted by Lovetodrive2000' timestamp='1427464565' post='23556730
What the heck is wrong with people...... nobody is making you attend this event... If you don't like the cost, just stay home!

I checked, and my AAA rate was still higher for a lodge room, than the rate that Ken got.
27k posts and no stars... What the heck is wrong with people.....
I just don't know what to say here.....

Just flabbergasted how this thread has gone downhill due to a few people.

BTW... you do realize those stars show how long you have been a member of the site don't ya?

I let my membership run out due to some differences in how the site was being ran, when it was sold.
Old 03-27-2015, 12:34 PM
Member (Premium)

Received 91 Likes on 82 Posts

Reading the posts I'm starting to wonder if some complaining have ever been to an event. Nobody is forcing you to attend this event. It can't be an easy thing to organize, and you can never satisfy everyone all the time. The people complaining maybe should try organizing their own event, who knows they might be able to turn a profit.
Old 03-27-2015, 12:38 PM

Bottom line is that its not about the money. The organizer tried to cancel folk a reservations, was called out on it, then decided to rephrase and claim words were left out. After that proof was given that his new story contradicted what was originally said.

Everyone just go have a nice weekend up there whether you registered or not.

Quick Reply: RtD Transparency