Dragon Events Tail of the Dragon (Highway US129) 318 curves in 11 miles, is America’s number one motorcycle and sports car road.

Know the Laws in MD, VA, NC, TN

Old 03-31-2015 | 04:12 PM

Default Know the Laws in MD, VA, NC, TN

A Washington Nationals ballplayer served 5 days in jail this year for driving his Porsche 100 mph in Virginia (plus a huge fine). Remember that Virginia is the one state that still has a "Radar Detectors Illegal" law. It seems they haven't been running the "detector, detectors" for a few years (I once got nailed twice in a month) but they love sitting on the on-ramp, hitting you from behind with instant on and when you hit your brakes they get you for both the speeding (no matter how little) AND the radar detector ticket.
  • Virginia is pretty scary and a lot of us will be coming down I-81 which is very tempting to blast through gaps before a truck gets in the left lane and crushes your speed as he takes 10 minutes to overtake another truck. They have a whole list of items called "reckless" but the core thing you need to know is that 20 over the posted speed can be speeding but is usually "Reckless Driving" as is anything over 80 mph and anything perceived to be "racing" which could just be a few S2K's blasting along together. Virginia is also the KING of "catch-all" laws like "Reckless Driving -General" which is in addition to 15 other defined things like above. They have one that is "failure to pay complete attention" too. Within Virginia these stay on your record for 11 years and if they want to, they can haul you into jail.
  • Maryland wants your money up to $1,000: Reckless driving" is defined as operating a motor vehicle either (1) in a wanton or willful disregard for the safety of persons or property or (2) in a manner that indicates a wanton or willful disregard for the safety of persons or property. This makes it totally in the judgement of the officer. The issue in Maryland is that anything over 15mph over the limit anywhere is a "serious traffic violation" and CAN be classified as reckless driving.
  • North Carolina has always been bad and now worse with a 10 over rule added: reckless driving is defined as operating a motor vehicle in a manner that displays carelessness with willful or wanton disregard for others or their property...a motor vehicle that fails to involve due caution while at a speed jeopardizing the safety of others or their property. Specifically, in terms of speed, reckless driving encompasses speeding offenses cited as more than 15 mph over a posted speed limit in a zone less than 55 mph, or speeds in excess of 10 mph over posted speed limit in a 55 mph or over zone. So in NC, with a posted 60, 70 is reckless or in the 70 then your 81 is both speeding and reckless times two.
  • Tennessee: as has been posted elsewhere here there is a video from the Blount County Sheriff about the Dragon and then note that you MUST actually have a copy of your actual insurance policy with THAT car on it and you need a "Signed" copy of your registration, both are additional pile on violations like in Virginia where they can just sit there for an hour writing you up 3, 4, 5 or more tickets on one stop. Heck, we are all from a long ways away and it will make them so much local revenue when we have to return on THEIR schedule, pay for a hotel, rent one of their local lawyers, etc. In Tenn reckless driving encompasses any driving offense exhibiting wanton or willful disregard for the property or safety of others. A specific subsection of the reckless driving statutes notes that operating a motorcycle with the front wheel raised in virtually any setting is also deemed reckless driving by the state. IT is actually CRIMINAL and a Class B Misdemeanor with Incarceration of not more than 6 months, with fines not to exceed $500 and Automatic license suspension, length at discretion of courts which likely won't include us unless you are from TN.
Check out the states you will be driving through and be careful. On our "event Drives" let's stay on Channel 4 and whoever is out there needs to squawk as soon as they see any Imperial Entanglements.
Old 03-31-2015 | 04:29 PM
15 Year Member

I would think that "wreckless" would be the preferred method of driving.
Old 03-31-2015 | 05:03 PM

I know Virginia that sucks and they seem to have cops everywhere. The whole state smells like bacon!

Good tips to remember but hey, where is the fun in all that!
Old 03-31-2015 | 06:09 PM

Originally Posted by SheDrivesIt
I would think that "wreckless" would be the preferred method of driving.
Yeah, I've been pretty much wreckless for half a million miles and I hope it continues. Funny I didn't catch that and now I can't edit the title. Moderator? Help?
Old 03-31-2015 | 06:09 PM
10 Year Member

reckless= tickets. Wreck-less= no crash.

In Ontario, for 50 over, you're "street racing" even if you are the only car. At least you can't get pregnant that way.

see you in a few.

darcy
Old 03-31-2015 | 07:51 PM
Community Organizer
10 Year Member

Originally Posted by darcyw
reckless= tickets. Wreck-less= no crash.

In Ontario, for 50 over, you're "street racing" even if you are the only car. At least you can't get pregnant that way.

see you in a few.

darcy
Your joking right?
Old 03-31-2015 | 08:15 PM
Gold Member (Premium)

^No joke, but that is 50km/h not mph, eh?
Old 04-01-2015 | 12:51 AM
Member (Premium)
15 Year Member

I try to stay around 9 over. So far, no problems. VA has that stupid 20 over or 81 mph thing. The fine is $10 per mile over the limit plus whatever fine the Commonwealth wants to hit you with. If you do get a reckless driving ticket, find a lawyer and quick. It may cost you $1000 but it beats what your insurance company will do to you.
Old 04-01-2015 | 02:18 AM
Member (Premium)
15 Year Member

Too bad if only this was posted one day later id have thought it was an April fools day joke
Old 04-01-2015 | 05:20 AM

2 Years ago the TN Trooper who pulled me on the dragon was kind enough to give me a warning ticket. I dialed it back a bit since that time but hopefully no one has any issues during our trip.

Quick Reply: Know the Laws in MD, VA, NC, TN