Dragon Events Tail of the Dragon (Highway US129) 318 curves in 11 miles, is America’s number one motorcycle and sports car road.

Ideas - How to keep Semi's off The Dragon

Old 04-21-2008, 11:09 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by DaWorm,Apr 21 2008, 01:05 PM
um..

Lets build an arch on either side.. just large enough for an s2000 to fit through...

we would of course have to take into account.. the various wide body kits... and spoilers etc....

we could put an camera on it.. and when you pull up.. it reads your 's2000 emblem' and opens...

so all you shaved people would be screwed!!!
all I can say is RFID

shaved rules...lol
Old 04-21-2008, 11:11 AM

First, Kris, glad you and the wife are ok. That had to be a heck of a sight to come around a turn, even slowly, and be staring a big rig in the face like that. As has been said many times, and is true every time, cars can be replaced -- people can't.

I was thinking about this on the way home yesterday... what if there were some sort of "warning light system" along the route, like on a racetrack, to let you know of any hazards...
Old 04-21-2008, 11:38 AM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

That sucks. I was up there and heard about it. Imagine if that was a motorcycle that came around that corner.
Old 04-21-2008, 11:45 AM

Imagine if it was me!

They should stop all large vehicles from going down that road. there are other (much longer) ways in and out of the area and I believe a height restriction could be effective. It wouldn't be perfect, but it would help save lives.
Old 04-21-2008, 11:55 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I think tof is on the right track - if the state is going to implement & enforce anything, the GVWR and Length restrictions would be the way to do it. Then plenty of signage down by the gravel pit and Deal's Gap.

When they get to the Gap, do they usually take 28 from there or continue on 129?
Old 04-21-2008, 11:56 AM

Glad to see you and your wife were ok Kris, I was with the group that got pulled over by the deputy working your accident. You did the right thing by ditching the car, I know that must have been a difficult decision but it more than likely saved your lives!
Old 04-21-2008, 12:21 PM

Thanks guys. I felt like a big idiot being "the guy who crashed his car at the dragon" but like you guys said the most mprotant thing is me and my wife are ok, sore but OK. I almost would rather thay call it a total so I can start over on a clean car. My body guy in Chicago thinks it may just be 5-7K in damages not enough to call it a total.
Old 04-21-2008, 12:30 PM

Kris, like I told you in person, you did everything right. You made the right move at the right time to avoid disaster. It's the soft fleshy bits that matter most, the sheet metal and rubber can be replaced.
Old 04-21-2008, 12:58 PM
Former Moderator

I'm sure your car will be totaled. The hardtop alone will run $2k...add the front bumper, fender and suspension components...add maybe another $6k...wer'e at $8k now and you'll need to add in a new windshield and whatever it may run to replace/fix the windshield frame...I'm thinking at least another $2k...maybe $3k. $11k total and that's not considering your new driver's side tire which was gouged...that rim may be damaged too...not to mention whatever may have been damaged underneath the car...

I'd really be surprised if they didn't total the car.
Old 04-21-2008, 01:02 PM
Former Moderator

As for keeping semi's off the Dragon...by the time the semi driver realizes the road is what it is...it's too late...they are committed to it. There are no large turn-arounds on the Dragon.

My suggestion would be something like a "teaser" Dragon on each side...then have large turnarounds after it...I think once the drivers realize how bad it is...they'll get the message and turn around.

Seriously...the only thing that can stop the semi's from coming thru the Dragon is by passing a law and enforcing it...which I doubt will happen.

While we know how bad a semi encounter can be on the Dragon...I wonder if anyone has actually ever been seriously injured or (gulp) killed by an encounter with a semi on the Dragon???

Like a red light for an intersection...the state DOT may require that sorta data to justify any changes.

Quick Reply: Ideas - How to keep Semi's off The Dragon