Dragon Events Tail of the Dragon (Highway US129) 318 curves in 11 miles, is America’s number one motorcycle and sports car road.

Hurricane Helen and DFR 2024 update.

Old 09-29-2024, 10:46 AM

Member (Premium)

Received 132 Likes on 102 Posts
Default Hurricane Helen and DFR 2024 update.

As some of you know there has been some devastating flooding in western NC in the wake of Hurricane Helen. My heart goes out to the many that have lost everything and those that are working around the clock to hold things together. This is a very unfortunate set of events and I am personally looking for ways to help this community as they continue to rescue, sure up, and rebuild all that they have lost. John Gilmore and I have been keeping tabs on the road conditions and talking to Fontana to try and make a decision on whether to continue with DFR this coming weekend. So far what we are hearing is that Fontana is okay and the surrounding roads seem to be clear of trouble. However, I am not there seeing it for myself and I am continuing to reach out to Fontana and others in the area for clarity. Based on the information that we have to go on right now, we are inclined to keep DFR on for this weekend but we are still seeking further advice to be sure. Our fall event is smaller in numbers and at the moment we think it will be okay. The local roads in and around the Dragon seem to be clear and that may end up being what we are confined to. Keep and eye out here for further updates as we sort things out. Either way there is going to be some routes that are closed. You will want to double check your route getting to Fontana to make sure that it is clear. Currently my usual route from Raleigh NC is closed and I will have to take an alternate route.

Feel free to make your own decisions as you see fit and I will do my best to keep you all up to date with current conditions. If you are local to the area and have any insights on conditions please message me and let me know what you know.
The following users liked this post:
JoePhotographer (09-30-2024)
Old Yesterday, 03:31 PM

Received 144 Likes on 104 Posts

Things are mostly unaffected here at the Dragon. Ingles is a little short on supplies, so I'd recommend bringing food from elsewhere if needed. The Shell in Robbinsville was cash only as of yesterday. The biggest difference is a lot of 18-wheelers.
The following users liked this post:
dasyuri23 (Today)