Dragon Events Tail of the Dragon (Highway US129) 318 curves in 11 miles, is America’s number one motorcycle and sports car road.

Group Drive Etiquette

Old 03-31-2015, 03:26 PM
Community Organizer
Community OrganizerMember (Premium)

Received 216 Likes on 171 Posts
Default Group Drive Etiquette

With all the newbies going to this year's Spring Dragon Event please look over this.

1. If you don't know where you should be in the line of cars for a group drive., start near the back. Usually the faster or veteran drivers are in the front behind the drive leader.

2. If you feel like you should be in the front, please remember we are all about safety so please don't try to drive above your driving skills. It's better to be in the back of the group to start. After you see the pace of the drive, there will be plenty of opportunities to move up or back in the pack. On all two lane roads do not pass another car in the group to move up.
If you want to move back, (on the Dragon) use the pull offs.

3. We always have a tail gunner with all group drives. Know that person's car so that you don't get left behind after a stop for food, gas, etc.

4. Remember the group drive leader's car also.

5. If you have any issues with the car, a passenger or yourself during a group drive, please let the the tail gunner know that you are pulling off. That person will stop and give any help. The tail gunner will get in touch with the group drive leader and make a decision for the rest of the group.

6. If the tail gunner or drive leader think you are driving above your limit, you will be asked to back off. Please leave your ego at Fontana Village. We want everyone to leave the event in the same way you came.

7. If weather become any issue, please give extra space to the person in front of you.

8. No tailgating will be allow period. You don't need to push the car in front of you (in the group or a local driver)

9. Hope this information helps you during RtD: The Spring Dragon Event.
Old 03-31-2015, 03:40 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Can I add to not leave the current road you are on until the person behind you see's you make the turn? I've had huuuuuge issues with this on large group drives... It only takes one person to steer the entire group off course.
Old 04-01-2015, 05:42 AM

Received 49 Likes on 36 Posts

^ THIS.

And it's not fun feeling like you have to drive out of your comfort zone to catch up when you get a little behind.
Old 04-01-2015, 05:55 AM
Administrator
Admin
Community Organizer

Received 191 Likes on 151 Posts

^ And that's why I've never agreed with the concept of having those that want to go faster towards the front and those wanting to go less fast towards the back of the group.
Old 04-01-2015, 06:11 AM

Originally Posted by JulieU
^ And that's why I've never agreed with the concept of having those that want to go faster towards the front and those wanting to go less fast towards the back of the group.

It still works fine that way. Those that want to go faster will just have to park on the corner of the turn while the slower person behind catches up... Then speed off again!
Old 04-01-2015, 09:15 AM
Member (Premium)

Received 1,139 Likes on 770 Posts

Originally Posted by JulieU
That's why we classify our drives as moderate and not moderate. People get moved from one group to another based on their behavior and demonstrated abilities.
Old 04-01-2015, 09:35 AM

Received 358 Likes on 290 Posts

I find the best drives are done with 4-5 in the group.

darcy
Old 04-01-2015, 09:44 AM
Member (Premium)

Received 1,139 Likes on 770 Posts

Originally Posted by darcyw

darcy
Hmmm, let's see....175 divided by 5...yep, 35 groups.
Old 04-01-2015, 10:46 AM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by kgf3076
Originally Posted by darcyw' timestamp='1427909754' post='23562894

darcy
Hmmm, let's see....175 divided by 5...yep, 35 groups.
Are we actually up to 175 cars now?
That's awesome!
Old 04-01-2015, 04:14 PM

Originally Posted by darcyw

darcy

However I'd like to add that I've been apart of bigger groups, and as long as everyone has driven with each other before it tends to run smoothly. If everyone has a good idea of how the drive is going to go pace wise, it works out well.

Quick Reply: Group Drive Etiquette