Dragon Events Tail of the Dragon (Highway US129) 318 curves in 11 miles, is America’s number one motorcycle and sports car road.

Dragon Events throwback thread.

Old 08-06-2024, 09:24 PM

Received 129 Likes on 99 Posts
Default Dragon Events throwback thread.

So, I thought this might be a fun way for all of us to pass the time till the next dragon run. Some of you have been around these parts for a while and I'm sure you have pictures and stories to tell. However, don't be fooled into thinking this thread is just for the old timers. This thread is for everyone, and I hope that everyone will participate even if your first event was this past spring. That said, feel free to post a picture, tell a story or do both. It can be a long-winded story with the usual exaggerations of what actually happened, or it can be as simple as a picture of something that brings back memories for all those that were there.

I will start.

My first event was spring of 2019, and I had wanted to come to the dragon for many years. I had owned many of cars over the years, but it wasn't till I bought the S that I felt confident enough to make the trek. When I arrived that Thursday, I was blown away by the number of people and cars that were there. It seemed like everyone there had known each other for a lifetime, yet some had just met. I was a little on the nervus side as this was a bit of a first for me, but everyone that I came in contact with including the first (Tibor) made me feel right at home.

My first drive was that very evening. I am going to preface this by saying that at this point I am a straight up newbie, and I have no frame of reference for what is about to go down. My newly acquainted friends (Darcy and Curt) and I set out for a late-night trip up the Cherohala for some star gazing. Now to be honest, while I am sure that these two veterans were taking it easy on me, I was on the edge of my seat praying my way around every turn just trying to keep up, and my knuckles couldn't have been whiter. Once we reached the higher altitudes the fog set in. There were no stars to be seen let alone each other 10ft apart and all I could think about was how amazing the car handled, and I still had two more days to find out what it could do!

The two days that followed had just as much excitement, but I'll leave it at that so other can chime in. I could go on about so many things that I experienced that weekend, but I wanted to highlight the things that I experienced when I first arrived. So, cheers to first times and cheers to friends at first site.

Last edited by SkyladyZ; 08-06-2024 at 09:27 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by SkyladyZ:
dasyuri23 (08-07-2024), jvf1 (08-18-2024)
Old 08-07-2024, 01:28 PM

Received 169 Likes on 150 Posts

Oh my... the stories than can be told.... and embellished on.....

My favorite...

Sweet, nice, law abiding Kathy..... Led a drive or 2 when I screwed up a foot..... everyone liked her drives better than mine!

At some point, we were out by ourselves.... Was trying to get her to go faster... but a bicycle was seen coming at us... and she backed off......

The following 2 users liked this post by Lovetodrive2000:
dasyuri23 (08-07-2024), Scooterboy (08-08-2024)
Old 08-07-2024, 07:23 PM

Received 355 Likes on 288 Posts

I remember that drive, Tim. I'll say, it was a real joy meeting up and spreading the dragon vibes to you.

I recall it was a fairly wet weekend too and coming across downed trees was a new encounter for me.

Leading a drive, I always feel like I'm holding everyone else up!

So I was leading a drive about 7 years ago and well, got nabbed by the popo. A $25 ticket with $200 in "administrative" fees prompted me to buy a detector as soon as I arrived back home.

darcy
The following 2 users liked this post by darcyw:
dasyuri23 (08-08-2024), jvf1 (08-18-2024)
Old 08-12-2024, 10:56 AM
Community Organizer

Received 215 Likes on 170 Posts

Originally Posted by darcyw
I remember that drive, Tim. I'll say, it was a real joy meeting up and spreading the dragon vibes to you.

I recall it was a fairly wet weekend too and coming across downed trees was a new encounter for me.

Leading a drive, I always feel like I'm holding everyone else up!

So I was leading a drive about 7 years ago and well, got nabbed by the popo. A $25 ticket with $200 in "administrative" fees prompted me to buy a detector as soon as I arrived back home.

darcy
People, who know you know better Darcy.
The following users liked this post:
jvf1 (08-18-2024)
Old 08-12-2024, 12:01 PM
Community Organizer

Received 215 Likes on 170 Posts

For me the first S2000 Dragon Trip was in 2011, Just purchasing the 2006 Berlina Black 7 months prior. First person I meet was Super Dave in his Supercharged NFR at the overlook after 5 trips up and down the dragon the first day. I was so much a newbie. Then trying to follow this guy in a ABP Cr up to Robbinsville on US 129 from Fontana that was for me was the most white knuckle driving I have ever experienced in the car. Talk about scared. Thanks Uncle Ken for that lesson (the guy in the ABP CR.) At the Saturday night banquet they talked about the Fall Event. After taking in the whole event in once I got home I didn't know if I would return. I meet a lot of people and saw 238 different s2000's with all different kinds of mods and colors. But didn't really get to talk to anyone about the car. Plus the wear and tear on the car itself. One thing I do remember is that the fall event usually has a smaller group of people and that might be the ticket to meet others then. Also I talked 3 locals into going with me. The 2011 DFR was one of the best events I have every been to. We hooked up with 6 others S2000 from all over and enjoy some great roads and food during the event. Ken, Patrick, Frei, Brett, Michael, Lionel and Jon still to this day are great friends. Then it opened up to other groups from the OKI, NY Crewe, Canadian Contingency, NC Group and so many others. I'm glad that I did go back the next event. People have come and gone but the event still holds it own. I'm proud to part of this one for sure. Thanks to everyone in the past and present for this one. Later BD
The following 2 users liked this post by Bama Dave:
dasyuri23 (08-13-2024), jvf1 (08-18-2024)