Dragon Events Tail of the Dragon (Highway US129) 318 curves in 11 miles, is America’s number one motorcycle and sports car road.

DBR 2008 - 8th Annual Event

Old 05-08-2008, 09:51 AM

Received 169 Likes on 150 Posts

Fontana..... is that where we have stayed in the past?

It kind of rings a bell?
Old 05-08-2008, 09:53 AM

OK... there was my post for the week....

See you next week!
Old 05-08-2008, 01:34 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I hope to make it this year. Last time I was at the dragon was for DBR 6.
Old 05-08-2008, 02:21 PM
Former Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by herblenny,May 7 2008, 11:04 AM
Just an opinion from an observer...

I organize the 2nd largest rotary car gathering in USA called, "Deals Gap Rotary Rally" (www.DealsGapRotaryRally.com).

I had my first 3 events at Fontana Village and all three years, I had issues with them. And last year, They were such a jackasses and nickel and dime me to death that I've decided to go somewhere else.

This year, I moved my event to Nantahala Village (www.NVNC.com) by advice from some of you S2k guys. Well, All I can say is Nantahala Village ROCKED!!! Unlike Fontana Village, We had the whole village to ourselves and as an organizer, NV did more than I expected!! This was also the first year where I had almost no complains from any of my attendees and Almost everyone who attended my event said they would come again and PREFERS Nantahala Village over Fontana!!
OH, Also my sponsors preferred NV over Fontana..

For the Organizer of DBR 2008, I would HIGHLY RECOMMEND NANTAHALA VILLAGE as they now have a new management and the owners is an actually car enthusiast!

I'm sure you are wondering how many cars I had at my event.. well, We had well over 120 cars and over 200 attendees. The food was fantastic and FAR more reasonable then Fontana. OVER ALL I was VERY pleased!!

One of my concern was the distance to the US129.. but NO one really complained about it from my group. And most thought of it as a warm up drive to the Dragon.

Lodges were 100% better than Fontana as they were actual houses and cabins vs. trailer homes. The customer service was TOP NOTCH!!! and their new chef and restaurant manager was fantastic!!

If you guys are interested, Call them and asked to speak to Maggie. Maggie is the new group manager at NV.

Since leaving Fontana, I've recieved several Phone calls from them.. Even early as last night.. The thing is, Their EGO and lack of appreciation for us car enthusiast is what got me to switch.. But it was definitely worth it for me as an organizer and for the rotary community. When people are happy, organizing event like this is ALL worth it.. When I was at Fontana, I wanted to quit every year... Things changed when I moved to NV..

Just wanted to pass on the info....

PHIL

PS. Pics from our event: http://www.rotarycarclub.com/showthread.php?t=1707

I'm in no affiliation with NV.. just an organizer trying to give you guys a head up.
Thanks herblenny!

I agree, I have nothing but positive things to say (or in this case, type) about Nantahala Village. The only real constraint we had was with the banquet facility (indoors). Their outdoor arrangement is quite nice but somewhat dependant on the weather.

As with you...my concerns for DBR 7 (September 2007) was in regards to the drive from NV to Deal's Gap...but not one person complained about it. Folks were impressed with Nantahala and had lots of positive things to say...it was a new environment and I think lots of folks were ready for a change.

This is what the problem WAS with Fontana (and I place "was" in italics because I believe they have overcome the issues/concerns):

DBR 6 (September 2006) - First time ever for us at Fontana Village. We were promised nearly the moon and unfortunately, it was too much...too late. By the time we had our event on their property, it was obvious that much of the construction/remodeling was still underway and not completed nearly as much as they had hoped. We should have waited...they should have encouraged us to wait...but nevertheless, we experienced the event at Fontana. It wasn't a terrible experience...because if it had...we would have probably gone back to Hilton (Alcoa) or the like.

WTD 4 (April 2007) - Our 2nd jaunt at Fontana...our largest S2000 gathering on the Dragon with 227 Cars and well over 300 people. This would be the ultimate test. Unfortunately, we encountered a staff that simply was NOT prepared for our event...they were short staffed...the staff that was present seemed to be overwhelmed...they were short with us and really upset quite a few people. We ran out of food during the banquet...the biggest disappointment ever... After the event, we worked quite extensively with Toni Crisp (no longer there) and others to make sure future events (if held at Fontana) would be done within our expectation...a "coming to Jesus meeting," as I like to call it. But as DBR came up...we decided to work with Nantahala...

I think that move prompted Fontana to get on the ball. And I have to say, without a doubt, they did a fantastic job with our WTD event. They absolutely exceeded many of our expectations as organizers and certainly did the same with many of their guests (our attendees). Is there room for improvement? Always. Any service oriented business/company is going to always seek out ways to improve! And I think that's the attitude present NOW at Fontana.

I'm happy and excited that our Fall event will be held at Fontana. I'm looking forward to it. I know the staff will work with us and having that relationship is absolutely vital to an organizer.
Old 05-08-2008, 03:11 PM
Member (Premium)

Received 1,137 Likes on 1,013 Posts

How many times did you hit spell check, Raul?

Old 05-09-2008, 09:59 AM
tof
Member (Premium)

Received 2,101 Likes on 1,413 Posts

Considering the horror stories I had heard about FV, I expected the worst and was pleasantly surprised at WTD. I was really impressed with NV last fall. I thought they did a great job and my cabin was very nice.

Two things I did prefer about Fontana. It is a LOT closer to the dragon, the dam, etc and right on 28. And the facility. Lots more food options, nice big banquet room, etc.
Old 05-09-2008, 11:42 AM

Three things I like better about NV..

1. The outdoor area that was covered right next to the registration area. The registration/badge getting area was held there. Welcoming party was there...
2. It is closer to where we drive Rt 28..... until the LEO crackdown on the Dragon goes away, I'd much rather drive the part of Rt 28 that we did on Saturday.
3. Closer to civilization (booze & beer & food)

Two things I liked better about FV

1. Our room in the lodge was larger
2. Not as spread out. Even tho FV is hilly, NV is hillier (are those words?)

ps. This post was not spell checked!
Old 05-11-2008, 05:43 AM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Just found out I am going to HUNGRY in september
Old 05-11-2008, 05:46 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by nakdboardr,May 11 2008, 09:43 AM
Just found out I am going to HUNGRY in september
So have something to eat and come to DBR.
Old 05-11-2008, 06:03 AM
Member (Premium)

Received 1,137 Likes on 1,013 Posts

Quick Reply: DBR 2008 - 8th Annual Event