Dragon Events Tail of the Dragon (Highway US129) 318 curves in 11 miles, is America’s number one motorcycle and sports car road.

DBR 2008 - 8th Annual Event

Old 05-04-2008, 12:31 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Old 05-05-2008, 06:39 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

registration open yet? we cancelled our vacation, so now I can go!!!!!!!!!

the missus and I will see you all there!
Old 05-06-2008, 02:22 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Wooo hooo!!!

The old lady gave the official go-ahead for me to go to DBR. I have been dying to go back since WTD last year.

We are already planning the trip in the NE forum and we should have a few cars coming down from ye Olde New England Crewe.
Old 05-07-2008, 05:21 AM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Old 05-07-2008, 07:04 AM

Just an opinion from an observer...

I organize the 2nd largest rotary car gathering in USA called, "Deals Gap Rotary Rally" (www.DealsGapRotaryRally.com).

I had my first 3 events at Fontana Village and all three years, I had issues with them. And last year, They were such a jackasses and nickel and dime me to death that I've decided to go somewhere else.

This year, I moved my event to Nantahala Village (www.NVNC.com) by advice from some of you S2k guys. Well, All I can say is Nantahala Village ROCKED!!! Unlike Fontana Village, We had the whole village to ourselves and as an organizer, NV did more than I expected!! This was also the first year where I had almost no complains from any of my attendees and Almost everyone who attended my event said they would come again and PREFERS Nantahala Village over Fontana!!
OH, Also my sponsors preferred NV over Fontana..

For the Organizer of DBR 2008, I would HIGHLY RECOMMEND NANTAHALA VILLAGE as they now have a new management and the owners is an actually car enthusiast!

I'm sure you are wondering how many cars I had at my event.. well, We had well over 120 cars and over 200 attendees. The food was fantastic and FAR more reasonable then Fontana. OVER ALL I was VERY pleased!!

One of my concern was the distance to the US129.. but NO one really complained about it from my group. And most thought of it as a warm up drive to the Dragon.

Lodges were 100% better than Fontana as they were actual houses and cabins vs. trailer homes. The customer service was TOP NOTCH!!! and their new chef and restaurant manager was fantastic!!

If you guys are interested, Call them and asked to speak to Maggie. Maggie is the new group manager at NV.

Since leaving Fontana, I've recieved several Phone calls from them.. Even early as last night.. The thing is, Their EGO and lack of appreciation for us car enthusiast is what got me to switch.. But it was definitely worth it for me as an organizer and for the rotary community. When people are happy, organizing event like this is ALL worth it.. When I was at Fontana, I wanted to quit every year... Things changed when I moved to NV..

Just wanted to pass on the info....

PHIL

PS. Pics from our event: http://www.rotarycarclub.com/showthread.php?t=1707

I'm in no affiliation with NV.. just an organizer trying to give you guys a head up.
Old 05-07-2008, 08:21 AM

I certainly cannot speak from an organizer standpoint, but I enjoy Fontanna.

The only complaint I had at all was the resteraunt was out of almost everything on the menu one night.

I like the cabins, I like the lodge and I like that it is close to the dragon.
Old 05-07-2008, 10:24 AM

Received 805 Likes on 716 Posts

Fontana is good because it's close and big. Everything is close which makes the social events much easier to coordinate. Other than that, I agree, Fontana is very unimpressive.

However, NV can't handle 200 car/300 people events. We stayed there last fall for DBR '07, and I believe had 45 cars, 60ish people, and pretty much maxed out their banquet facility. They don't have a place for us to congregate, the houses are scattered all over (our house wasn't even in FRS range from the front office...). I wish it was a little bit better setup, because I loved staying there last fall. I didn't even want to leave the house.
Old 05-07-2008, 03:52 PM

We had our Fall DBR '07 at Nantahala last September. I was also quite favorably impressed, in spite of the two hour wait for breakfast, and the almost running out of coffee. Fortunately, they wised up and sent someone to Bryson City for more coffee. Our accomodations were superb, but some in our group had bad experiences in that regard, as well.

My family was miffed that the General Store was closed the entire weekend and the restaurant did not serve lunch on Saturday.

But we'd go back to Nantahala in a heartbeat, now that we know what to expect.

Having said all that, this trip to Fontana was like a complete breath of fresh air. They were considerate, accomodating, went out of their way to be nice; our cabin was newly remodeled and quite nice, and it was a GREAT event. The staff didn't miss a beat that I saw, and they were most accomodating to my young daughters, who always accompany us to the Dragon.

So, now, it seems, at least for the moment, we have two good places in the area to go.

Dave
Old 05-07-2008, 06:44 PM

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by parkerdt,May 7 2008, 05:52 PM
this trip to Fontana was like a complete breath of fresh air. They were considerate, accomodating, went out of their way to be nice; our cabin was newly remodeled and quite nice, and it was a GREAT event. The staff didn't miss a beat that I saw,
Old 05-08-2008, 01:29 AM

Received 50 Likes on 47 Posts

Well put Dave....

Quick Reply: DBR 2008 - 8th Annual Event