Dragon Events Tail of the Dragon (Highway US129) 318 curves in 11 miles, is America’s number one motorcycle and sports car road.

Attn: Folks planning to attend DBRXI

Old 05-30-2011, 04:46 AM
Member (Premium)

Received 1,134 Likes on 767 Posts

Originally Posted by smccoy
Friday night will be the beer swap and general socializing.
Where will this be held? Is the meeting room at Tapoco large enough to hold this rowdy group?
Old 05-30-2011, 04:51 AM
Member (Premium)

Originally Posted by smccoy
Originally Posted by kgf3076' timestamp='1306671851' post='20628179
Ken is awake and has posted his opinion on Facebook (one of the larger time wasters in the universe): but to summarize: The food better be damn good (and I want the chef's name and where he studied and who he cooked with) and the wine list better be VERY extensive. I don't drink crap wine and I don't eat lousy food. That being said, "ala carte", huh? Oh I forgot, Raul is close to someone in the food biz .
As far as the chef, SHE studied at Johnson & Wales in Charleston and worked at the Peninsula Grille. Look them up. A sample of the Tapoco menus is posted on their Facebook page:
http://www.facebook.com/tapocolodge
If I remember correctly, the Chef at Peninsula Grill is Robert Carter. Was she the sous-chef under Chef Carter? If so, that speaks highly. If she was a saucier, a prep chef, or a line-cook...eh, not so much. (sorry, the food snobbery just comes out when I least expect it).
Old 05-30-2011, 03:29 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Wow - pricey - I'm still going, but I will likely cut short my stay at Tapoco to one or two nights. Likely spend Thursday night at the Microtel, and either Friday or Saturday at Tapoco. It looks like the best night to stay at Tapoco would be Saturday night, but not staying Friday makes the Saturday morning group drive - well - difficult, given packing up at Robbinsville and then driving your car packed all day Saturday to turn around and unpack to spend Saturday night. Hmmmmm, I guess its either spend Friday and Saturday at Tapoco - $$$$ or stay all three nights at Microtel $.

Old 05-30-2011, 03:44 PM

Originally Posted by kgf3076
Originally Posted by smccoy' timestamp='1306708714' post='20629246
[quote name='kgf3076' timestamp='1306671851' post='20628179']
Ken is awake and has posted his opinion on Facebook (one of the larger time wasters in the universe): but to summarize: The food better be damn good (and I want the chef's name and where he studied and who he cooked with) and the wine list better be VERY extensive. I don't drink crap wine and I don't eat lousy food. That being said, "ala carte", huh? Oh I forgot, Raul is close to someone in the food biz .
As far as the chef, SHE studied at Johnson & Wales in Charleston and worked at the Peninsula Grille. Look them up. A sample of the Tapoco menus is posted on their Facebook page:
http://www.facebook.com/tapocolodge
If I remember correctly, the Chef at Peninsula Grill is Robert Carter. Was she the sous-chef under Chef Carter? If so, that speaks highly. If she was a saucier, a prep chef, or a line-cook...eh, not so much. (sorry, the food snobbery just comes out when I least expect it).
[/quote]

Ken - stop it!
Old 05-30-2011, 03:51 PM

Originally Posted by S2k Dude
Scooter..... I'm trying to get a price from Natahala <s> and I'll call the Jamison also...... any interest in either of those?

We can drive over for the Banquet Saturday nite.... then head back to where ever.....

Having a fancy dinner Friday nite, will mean very little mingling also......
After Mikey posted the Tapoco dinner menu I believe the gormet food is also not to my liking and the extra $80-$100 per day food cost would be a waste of money for me. Guess I'll also be looking to see what others come up with for alternative accomodations.

Mikey, please include me in your offsite group.
Me too! - There isn't a thing my doc would allow me to have from that menu - I'm sure they would be happy to supply me with wheat toast and oatmeal in the morning and a salad for dinner, but that rich crap is strictly off my "do you want to live?" list. Mikey - if you make other plans post them up, or PM me. I can go just about anywhere you would go.

Wait - did I just say what I think I said?!!!!!!!!
Old 05-30-2011, 04:35 PM
Member (Premium)

Originally Posted by LINESUPER
Originally Posted by S2k Dude' timestamp='1306758632' post='20630523
Scooter..... I'm trying to get a price from Natahala <s> and I'll call the Jamison also...... any interest in either of those?

We can drive over for the Banquet Saturday nite.... then head back to where ever.....

After Mikey posted the Tapoco dinner menu I believe the gormet food is also not to my liking and the extra $80-$100 per day food cost would be a waste of money for me. Guess I'll also be looking to see what others come up with for alternative accomodations.

Mikey, please include me in your offsite group.
Me too! - There isn't a thing my doc would allow me to have from that menu - I'm sure they would be happy to supply me with wheat toast and oatmeal in the morning and a salad for dinner, but that rich crap is strictly off my "do you want to live?" list. Mikey - if you make other plans post them up, or PM me. I can go just about anywhere you would go.

Wait - did I just say what I think I said?!!!!!!!!
I'm afraid you did, Dave...(you want to join me in the slow-cooked food club?).
Old 05-30-2011, 04:37 PM
Member (Premium)

Originally Posted by Lovetodrive2000
Originally Posted by Scooterboy' timestamp='1306715268' post='20629459
I may have to bow out. $600 is a lot to spend for just myself. I'll wait till the last minute to decide.

Let me know what you find, Mikey. I know a couple of people who might decide to go if there are alternative places to stay.
Old 05-31-2011, 10:22 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Just to put a hint of positive commenting in this thread. I think that an inclusive package with quality food is a nice thing. At every WTD I've been to I skipped the banquet and other meals and ate at the lodge. Paying more for a quality meal and some wine/liquor is definitely worth the cost. Lack of quality food was a popular issues with WTD in the feedback thread this year. Now you offer this and people coward away from the prices. You can't win can you.

Unfortunately, I wasn't planning to come to DBR this year.
Old 05-31-2011, 10:42 AM
Member (Premium)

Originally Posted by daktruckie99
I think that an inclusive package with quality food is a nice thing.
I agree, as a matter of fact, one of the things I pride myself on is the amount of knowledge I have acquired pursuing quality dining. I don't think that anyone who has ever attended one of the dinners I plan would quibble about the quality of the food that's served.

Originally Posted by daktruckie99
Paying more for a quality meal and some wine/liquor is definitely worth the cost. Lack of quality food was a popular issues with WTD in the feedback thread this year.
And once again, I agree. Paying for a quality meal is worth the cost...however (you knew there would be a "however" or a "but", didn't you?), not everyone can afford or wants to spend that money for quality food and wine/liquor. Some people come for the camaraderie and renewal of friendships that have been made (and maybe to drive a nice curvy road). Some people are quite happy with fast-food and cheap beer (see McDonalds and Coors Light). So the food at WTD wasn't gourmet...it was edible and any perceived lack of quality in the food was way more compensated by the people and the friendships made and the great time that everyone had.
Old 05-31-2011, 12:29 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I certainly understand. I know I'm in the minority but I know Raul, Sheila and the rest of the crew try their best every time. Trying to offer a glimmer of hope for them

Quick Reply: Attn: Folks planning to attend DBRXI