Dinner and a Movie Discuss your favorite movies foods, restaurants and recipies.

Who is a Watchmen fan?

Old 03-06-2009, 11:46 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've read the graphic novel a few times, was seriously pumped to see this movie. I was blown away, it really was like a living breathing moving comic book. The opening credits established so much history that took the book several chapters to really get through. Sure, a few things changed, but personally, I thought it was for the better. I was really wondering how they were going to do the ending without making it cheesy...and that's exactly how.

With the exception of the Comedian and Manhattan and a few other bit players all the actors were unknowns to me, I like that. Nite Owl and Ozymandias were cast perfectly in my opinion. Rorschach blew me away, I saw him in a whole new light...and a badass one at that.

One of the most violent, and brutally violent movies I've seen in a long time, and that's not necessarily a bad thing. Considering the subject matter, I think violence is inescapable, I'm just glad the fight scenes were actual fight scenes...instead of the more common cut to fist hitting something cut to foot kicking something cut to something hitting something all so fast you can't really process what happened. The opening fight scene was amazing I thought, later on the compound fracture was cringe inducing, but rightfully so.

Very explicit sex scene, and damn was she hot. No, it's not $$$$$$, but I dunno there was something very revealing about it, can't quite place my finger on it.

The recurring blue dong? WTF was that all about. We get it, he doesn't want to waste time with clothing, yet he does for a lot of the time. To me that was one of the few "bad" things about the movie.

The fact it was long? I can't really pick anything for them to cut out to shorten it without losing quite a bit. As it was a lot of the little stuff disappeared (the whole interaction between the guy the owns the newsstand and all of his different customers), but I'm told in a few months they're releasing the directors cut (maybe just to Imax, not quite sure where I read it) which is another 40 minutes. Probably only going to be revered by those that really dug the book, but to each his own.

Lastly, the music was some of the best ever. Both the score and the inclusion of some major classic, it was a grand slam in my opinion. Whoever put together that track list deserves some credit. The song during the sex scene, Hallelujah, I had always known the Jeff Buckley version...this one is very...different...but fits dead on. Any movie that has All Along the Watchtower and Ride of the Valkyries and uses them both well...my hat's off to it.

TLR I'm a fan of the book for the last few years, and now maybe even a bigger fan of the movie. 2 big thumbs up.
Old 03-07-2009, 12:02 AM

just got back, and did not like this movie at all.
All my friends thought I was crazy, seemed like everybody enjoyed it.
I admit the CGI, Special effects, plus i watched in Imax made the movie simply the best display of technology ever.
Since i never read the comic and not familiar with the story... i thought the plot/story was horrible. Not to mention the 100 million scenes of the smurf penis was just too much.

in short, I do not like this movie for the same reason i hate the matrix.... its too philosophical and nothing connects to anything.
Old 03-08-2009, 02:40 PM

I loved all of it great movie!
Old 03-08-2009, 11:12 PM

I read the book a couple months ago so it was all still pretty fresh in my head but the wife hasnt read it yet and she still enjoyed the movie.

I wonder if people would be complaining if they took the Ken doll approach to Dr. Manhattan. I dont see what the big deal is, it really wasnt show anymore then it had to be.

Like J3ffro said I was blown away seeing it come to life on the BIG screen ( Imax ). The music was awesome, it flowed perfectly with what was going on and the casting was spot on, Jackie Earle Haley is Rorschach and i like the movie ending better

I recomend reading it first then seeing the movie.
Old 03-08-2009, 11:30 PM

Received 95 Likes on 64 Posts

Trend seems to be:

those that have read the novel: liked it

those that haven't read the novel: don't like it

I've read it and i'm definitely a fan of the movie!

A lot of people who don't know anything about Watchmen go into this expecting it to be just another cool action comic book superhero movie with fight scenes for a plot. The graphic novel was so much more than that and obviously couldn't fit entirely in a movie time frame, so i think they did a good job putting what they did in the movie along with the changes made.
Old 03-09-2009, 01:41 PM

Location: All up in your inner tubes. Whatcha gonna do sucka?

Originally Posted by J3ffro,Mar 7 2009, 02:46 AM
The song during the sex scene, Hallelujah, I had always known the Jeff Buckley version...this one is very...different...but fits dead on.
Leonard Cohen

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hallelu...Leonard_Cohen)
Old 03-09-2009, 04:31 PM

Originally Posted by veilside_s2k,Mar 6 2009, 11:48 AM

the thing that bothered me the most was Doctor Manhattan's (blue dudes) penis. i mean seriously... im comfortable with myself to see a dick in a p0rn or even a normal movie. but every time it showed him walking around. his dick was hanging out.... it was stupid because in the begning of the movie, it was covered with clothing..
I think that point is that as he becomes more detached from humanity he no longer feels to the need to be bound by the social norms of humanity. As he says in the book, he no longer has a stake in humanity's survival. His lack of clothing is a metaphor.
Old 03-10-2009, 06:16 AM

The movie has made me want to check out the novel.
Old 03-10-2009, 07:57 AM

[QUOTE=triman54,Mar 9 2009, 08:31 PM] I think that point is that as he becomes more detached from humanity he no longer feels to the need to be bound by the social norms of humanity.