Dinner and a Movie Discuss your favorite movies foods, restaurants and recipies.

Who is a Watchmen fan?

Old 03-05-2009, 01:24 PM

Received 431 Likes on 303 Posts
Default Who is a Watchmen fan?

I am open to all things geek. I am a big Star Wars guy, video game guy, BSG guy, Lost guy, LOTR was decent. I never was a comic book person. I like the art and all that just never had them near me when I was growing up. I dig Batman, and am ok with a superhero movie if the story is good. You can't just make Spiderman 7 and expect me to like it if it sucks, just because it has Spiderman in it. I never sat around the house wishing I was SPiderman or the Thing. I have no interest in the Wolverine movie, enough already. I saw Sin City and liked it even though it was long. The 300 looked like it was made to appeal to nerds that were in the closet about their presonal preference if you know what I mean. I USED to like the show Heroes, but they screwed that up royally. So hopefully that will show you I am open to some sci fi-ish comic book stuff.

Anywho, I understand this is dark. Its serious. It has superheroes as human people with human failings and dark sides. It has a way out plot. I also understand that the fans are upset that the ending has been tarnished and it does not have a giant squid attacking New York. That made me say, seriously? The people who think it is brilliant are upset a gaint city swallowing squid is not in it? And I read a plot synopsis which had a fairly deep plot with some intigue but also some stuff that sounded too ridiculous to mention.

So if I had any curiosity at all, I think I would actually prefer to look a t the graphic novel. I just can't get worked up about the movie. And if I had any bi-curiosity I could just go watch 300 again but I digress.......

So can this be taken seriously the way the Dark Knight can, or is it way over the top with super hero powers, blue weiner, and giant squids (or lack thereof) that the average geek will say "Meh."
Old 03-05-2009, 01:26 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

not too many superfans i know are terribly heartbroken about the lack of giant squids. see the movie first, then tell me what you think. until then, all discussion is moot.
Old 03-05-2009, 02:06 PM

I just got the book and started reading it. It's pretty good. The movie reviews aren't looking good, however.

http://www.latimes.com/entertainment/news/...,0,503724.story
Old 03-05-2009, 03:14 PM

Received 431 Likes on 303 Posts

I dunno, I did the movie review web engine searched and its pretty mixed. Travers at Rolling Stone gave it 2.5 out of 4 and said it has several candidate for worst scene of the year within the film. Our local gave it a one out of four and did not seem to like it at all. But then there are some good one too.

I think book first, then maybe a rental.
Old 03-05-2009, 04:15 PM
Former Moderator

Received 5,250 Likes on 4,492 Posts

going to see it tonight - I know nothing about it other than it looks really ...pretty colors ...pretty colors
Old 03-06-2009, 12:29 AM
Former Moderator

A very philosophical & not your typical action comic book hero movie in any way, shape, or form. Go see it for the lead female actress alone .
Old 03-06-2009, 07:56 AM

go see it for the sex scene music alone.....
saw it last night and i spent most of the time scouring what didnt make it into the movie, and just being visually awed. ill see it again in a few days and actually absorb it as a movie. rorschach is a badass, but i think its a bit deep for the average action flick movie goer. it deals with issues much larger than costumed heroes, something of a comic book war and peace.

but oh yes, a fair amount of blood. if you have a squeemish girlfriend, dont say i didnt warn you.
Old 03-06-2009, 10:48 AM

i went to the midnight showing... its damn near a 3 hour movie..

mixed feelings...

The good.

special affects.
fighting scenes (good when there was fighting)
twist in the plot
pretty good sex scenes

The bad

lack of action.
long
dead/boring at certain parts

the thing that bothered me the most was Doctor Manhattan's (blue dudes) penis. i mean seriously... im comfortable with myself to see a dick in a p0rn or even a normal movie. but every time it showed him walking around. his dick was hanging out.... it was stupid because in the begning of the movie, it was covered with clothing..

robert downey jr played a pretty good ass/smartass

Rorschach was pretty badass. best part was when he was kicking ass in jail.. "im not in here with you, your in here with me"
Old 03-06-2009, 11:48 AM

Originally Posted by veilside_s2k,Mar 6 2009, 11:48 AM
robert downey jr played a pretty good ass/smartass
huh? what movie did you see?
Old 03-06-2009, 11:53 AM
Former Moderator

The actor who played the Comedian did look a lot like him...

Quick Reply: Who is a Watchmen fan?