Dinner and a Movie Discuss your favorite movies foods, restaurants and recipies.

Skyfall is quite good

Old 11-21-2012 | 08:08 PM

for me the homo scene was awkward.
Old 11-21-2012 | 08:54 PM

Originally Posted by Lcuky
Yea i thought so too, think it was a bit much to add a gay scene in bond lol...
Old 11-26-2012 | 12:29 PM

well done, i liked it. something old and something new. love daniel is most all he does. bardeem is perfect as a modern bond villian, over the top and yet, well not. nice to see the old db5 again, it should come back....gadgets, well this one was missing them and that's fine, as if you think about it, gadgets of old are now available, it's hard to imagine something new that will entertain.
this fanchise is now 50, its a tried and true formula and for how long? i can't wait for the next one, cause a bond film should be an event we anticipate and enjoy, new or old.
Old 11-28-2012 | 03:59 PM
Former Sponsor

Took the wifey to it on Thanksgiving and we both loved it!

Evan
Old 11-29-2012 | 01:27 PM
Member (Premium)

Originally Posted by miguel329
Originally Posted by Lcuky' timestamp='1353560936' post='22165581
Yea i thought so too, think it was a bit much to add a gay scene in bond lol...

Dude, seriously, one day you will be rolling down the interstate on the way to lunch with a friend you have had since way back. You will offer to set him up with a girl you know since he has not dated anyone in a while. He will tell you he is gay. Then you think that guy you went on a bunch of male bonding trips, slept in your tent, and has been totally cool the whole time likes the pork and beans.

You realize he is the same guy he always was, you were cool with him before, then the whole "gay guys make me uncomfortable" thing goes away. It aint a big deal.

And I think Trunkie's analysis of the scene was spot on.
Old 12-04-2012 | 09:08 PM

Seriously? Dude rubs Bond's leg and he plays along with it. Grow up.

Anyway, zomgsupergayscene aside (/sarcasm), I liked it. It wasn't the best bond ever, but it had some great scenes and great lines. Exactly what I expected from a bond film. Only thing I really disliked was new Q.
Old 12-05-2012 | 08:50 AM

As an engineer for Caterpillar, I absolutely loved it.

And yea, UnkieTrunkie nailed the scene analysis, IMO.
Old 12-16-2012 | 10:06 PM

Agreed -- The "tied to a chair" scene was a chess match, settle down.

I think the conspicuous lack of gadgets was the whole point of the movie -- we rely too heavily on technology in our daily lives and our reliance on it can (and will) bite us in the ass.

Thus the whole "do we need agents anymore" testimony scene -- the government thought fighting and spying could be done remotely...with an occasional "trigger man." Stop antiquated thinking, use the tech. Lose the human soldier in favor of the gadgets. And it works...until you become reliant on them and they fail you.

Bardem/Silva was able to engineer the entire first half of the movie and played MI-6 like a fiddle because he knew everything about them. He could control them. Control their environments. It was all by his design - just point and click, if you will.

Bond moved away from gadgets, both in plot and in practicality -- look at how he killed the bad guy for chrissakes. Could you get less high-tech?

No gadgets = Kinda the point of the movie imo.
Old 12-20-2012 | 09:12 AM

Thoroughly enjoyed the movie. I think the lack of gadgets was part of the age factor they were pushing forward with Bond. Bardeem was excellent as was Dench. The movie was spot on for me the whole time...not a big fan of who they chose to play Moneypenny (think that Naomie Harris is a wonderful actress) as it just doesn't fit my image of her.

Loved the ending...so many questions!?!?!?!?

Also have to give credit to the great theme song by Adele.
Old 12-20-2012 | 01:44 PM
20 Year Member

Originally Posted by Reckon
Also have to give credit to the great theme song by Adele.
I was not a fan. Great sonics and orchestration, but went nowhere. . . repeatedly.

It wasn't the trainwreck that was Die Another Day, but I felt Adele should have written a solid middle 8 and one or two modulations. Instead, it almost sounds like she phoned it in structurally.

Quick Reply: Skyfall is quite good