Dinner and a Movie Discuss your favorite movies foods, restaurants and recipies.

ROAD HOUSE...The second coming from Prime

Old 03-27-2024, 06:11 PM

Received 358 Likes on 290 Posts
Default ROAD HOUSE...The second coming from Prime

First off...THE best Patrick Swayze movie is Road House. 2nd best is Point Break. After that, maybe that dancing movie. I really liked the original Road House- classic guy, action flick from the 80's- classic plot.

So Jake Gyllenhal is the new lead of this new Road House movie re-imagined. Some MMA guy is also in this- Mcgregor. He was the most over the top character in the movie- a little much at times. Many modern reviewers review movies thru the lens of wokeness, so on Rotten Tomatoes don't believe all the reviews. This is a really fun, action movie...not as good as the original, but man, there are not many other new action movies that aren't pandering. Has a basic plot, played out as expected. Turn your brain off, sit back, and be entertained!

Heck, even my wife liked it!
I give it a 7.5/10. It's not for kids just based on the language. There is no naked fun like in the original (I think I was 12 when I saw the original) but lots of violence and a really cool catamaran (my other hobby is crewing on a racing tri).

darcy
Old 03-27-2024, 07:24 PM

Received 216 Likes on 138 Posts

I agree with your review, most reviews trashed it and called it dumb, I thought it was not as good as the original but fun to watch. Connor Mcgregor was a bit much, 10 seconds after they introduce him I'm thinking "somebody please kill this guy soon".
Old 03-28-2024, 05:34 AM
Site Moderator
Super Moderator

Received 2,872 Likes on 2,083 Posts

Quite sad when they keep resorting to re-doing "classic" movies.
Old 03-29-2024, 06:11 PM

Received 241 Likes on 180 Posts

Originally Posted by sam_spider
I agree. It's lazy movie making although I DID hear that the remake was pretty good. We'll see.

Last edited by SheDrivesIt; 04-01-2024 at 03:43 PM.
Old 04-02-2024, 10:10 AM

Received 86 Likes on 63 Posts

Every remake is a whole new movie to some generation. How many times has "A Christmas Carol" been remade? I agree it's lazy, but obviously others feel they can improve on the original, and convince others to bank roll them so they can produce their 'vision'. Most of the time, the original is better but their has been times when the remake stands out to me. "Cape Fear" with DiNero is one of those.
Old 04-02-2024, 10:26 AM
Site Moderator
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by silvio1522
Every remake is a whole new movie to some generation. How many times has "A Christmas Carol" been remade? I agree it's lazy, but obviously others feel they can improve on the original, and convince others to bank roll them so they can produce their 'vision'. Most of the time, the original is better but their has been times when the remake stands out to me. "Cape Fear" with DiNero is one of those.
Sure, but not all movies should be redone, nor are they worthy of a redo. Just because you can doesn't mean you should.

Heck, enough time has passed on most of these that they could simply be a continuation of sorts, not a redo.
Old 04-02-2024, 11:24 AM

Received 1,453 Likes on 1,090 Posts

I never liked the first one (go ahead, and throw stuff at me now). I always just started laughing at it and kinda watched as one of those "so bad I will watch it for the humor" thing. Honestly to me, the best part of he orginal was that Sam Elliot was in it lol.
Old 04-02-2024, 11:34 AM
Site Moderator
Super Moderator

Lol, the first wasn't good. That's kind of why I'm puzzled they redid it.
Old 04-02-2024, 01:42 PM

Received 1,453 Likes on 1,090 Posts

Lol, the first wasn't good. That's kind of why I'm puzzled they redid it.
Cause a lot of people wanted to see a muscled up good looking guy in tight jeans fighting I guess. Same reason they watched Dirty Dancing I guess To me it is just another Magic Mike movie !

I figured the original started like this:
"Hey, the guys love these action movies with lots of fighting, but hate romance shit"
" Yeah, but their wives love the romance shit and do not always like the full on action movie stuff"
"HEY! lets just have some good looking actor in really good shape fighting people and throw in a love interest"

And BAM Roadhouse was made
Old 04-04-2024, 05:58 AM

Received 241 Likes on 180 Posts

And BAM, exactly!

Quick Reply: ROAD HOUSE...The second coming from Prime