Dinner and a Movie Discuss your favorite movies foods, restaurants and recipies.

Rice Cooker and Brown Rice

Old 01-28-2003, 08:33 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Rice Cooker and Brown Rice

I am having some serious problems with cooking rice, both white and brown. I buy 'Carolina' rice at the supermarket. It comes out like a gooey mess even though I follow the package directions.

I am guessing that 1) I should try a better quality rice and 2) I should invest (maybe) in a 'rice' cooker.

I have access to ethnic (e.g., asian) markets and can buy my rice there. Any suggestions on a 'brown' rice?

I read mYuuki's thread (How do you cook your rice?) and am still not sure if a rice cooker is the answer. My problem may be a result of poor quality rice and an incorrect method. Does using a rice cooker 'guarantee' perfect rice? If it does, I would be willing to invest in a cooker, even one with 'fuzzy' logic. Any suggestions on a cooker?

Thanks in advance for your input.

Michael
Old 01-28-2003, 05:08 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The way I make my rice for all the asian dishes I make is simply boil some water and margarine in a saucepan, reduce to a bare simmer, then dump in rice, stir every 2 minutes or so until all water is absorbed, serve and enjoy I think we use California Long Grain or something taht has a similar name to that,
Old 01-31-2003, 11:21 AM

don't know about brown rice.
but for sticky white rice, use jasmine.
fill the cooker with the appropriate amount of rice.

and secret for the water amount needed:

on a level surface, stick your hand so you middle finger is barely touching the top of the rice.
add enough water so it measures to the first line of your middle finger.
cook.
Old 01-31-2003, 11:45 AM

1 part rice to 2 parts water. Bring (salted) water to boil. You can have anything you want in the water from vegetables to meat to butter and pepper. It doesn't matter. Boil the water, stir in the rice quickly to wet each grain. Remove spoon and cover. Lower burner to a bare simmer, set your timer for twenty minutes and walk away. Do not lift the lid and look at it. Do Not Stir it. Bend down and listen to the pan to hear the simmering if you need to be sure it's cooking, but don't lift the lid. EVER!

After twenty minutes of simmering it will be perfect. Works with cheapo store brand rice. Works with Uncle Ben's. The alternate methods treat rice cooking like pasta cooking with lots of stirring etc. This is not good and creates mush. The time/proportions/temperature are what is important. The rice will cook itself if you can resist the notion that you must mess with it as it cooks.

Bon Apetit.