Dinner and a Movie Discuss your favorite movies foods, restaurants and recipies.

Jiro Dreams of Sushi

Old 04-09-2012, 09:43 AM

Received 1,566 Likes on 1,437 Posts
Default Jiro Dreams of Sushi

I saw the preview for this late last year, and had been dying to see it since. The gf and I caught it this weekend, and it was marvelous.

The story is absolutely amazing, and the cinematography is spectacular. The soundtrack has a deliberative quality that supports the pace and tone of the movie to a tee.

It's presently in limited/art-house release. You may need to just grab it on video when it becomes available. HIGHLY recommended.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-CCJb0xXes4
Old 04-09-2012, 10:41 AM
Member (Premium)

Received 438 Likes on 308 Posts

I am a big documentary guy because they can make the mundane look be interesting and powerful, but let me ask, more specifically what did you like about it without giving anything away? Especially, you mention the story. What is it?
Old 04-11-2012, 02:04 PM

Received 1,566 Likes on 1,437 Posts

Originally Posted by vader1
I am a big documentary guy because they can make the mundane look be interesting and powerful, but let me ask, more specifically what did you like about it without giving anything away? Especially, you mention the story. What is it?
The guy serves sushi in a non-descript restaurant inside Ginza Station, Tokyo. Mind you, it's just sushi. . . and he holds 3 Michelin stars. Now well into his 80s, he's a recognized national living treasure in Japan.

As far as the film itself, it was shot very well. . . and given that the topic is sushi, it was not simply enough to get the food to look delicious, but also to have camera angles and the like that mirror the quiet deliberation of his (and the staff's) preparations. There's a wonderful scene that illustrates his tuna buyer's routine every morning. . . I can't say much about that one, except that it really does become a dance; and that the director captures the choreography and theater of it magnificently.

What was also interesting was the interviewing process. At times, it was clearly Jiro-San speaking to the prompt, but then at other times, they'd pick up a conversation, or mid-conversation, with his eldest son or a cook hollering from the corners. Often, stuff like that would be edited out. Instead, it was left in. The funny thing is, despite the changes of mood, it was seamless.
Old 04-12-2012, 06:14 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It's playing in Austin at the Violet Crown Cinema, might have to make a Saturday trip up there for this movie and some sushi!
Old 08-27-2012, 09:58 AM
Member (Premium)

Received 438 Likes on 308 Posts

It was just posted on Netflix stream over the wekend and I watched it. I probably did not enjoy it as much as Trunkie, but I did like it and it was a good movie.

It is certainly a window into the mind of a guy driven to do one thing for his entire life, continue to improve his product of sushi and he does it endlessly. I think I would have enjoyed it more if I actually ate sushi.

I did find it interesting when his oldest son was talking about his concern for depleting fishing stock. I kinda wondered if the people who make a living off it actually care, but he seemed to be bothered by it.

Good camera work and very pleasant score in the background. Nice movie to relax to.
Old 09-19-2012, 04:46 PM

Will give this a go. I love documentaries, and I love sushi.
Old 09-20-2012, 12:36 PM
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

Received 148 Likes on 119 Posts

I just saw this on Friday... great movie... I think the subtitles were ok.. some subtle differences but overall, the translation was good.

There are now several "Jiro-type" sushi restaurants in Japan but there will always be just one Jiro (Michelin 3 stars don't come very often..if ever)
Old 09-20-2012, 06:06 PM
Member (Premium)

Received 1,137 Likes on 1,013 Posts

So-this isn't the bio of Long John Silver's?
Old 09-21-2012, 07:05 PM

About 30 minutes in. What an incredible film. The cinematography paired with the soundtrack by Max Richter, Glass, Kronos Quartet and co makes for an absolutely perfect match.

Philosophical, intriguing, reflective, captivating and even emotional.

The world would be a better place if more movies like this were made.

For those who are interested, there may or may not be a 720p Bluray release floating around somewhere...

Thank you very much for sharing!
Old 09-21-2012, 07:36 PM

I tried to fault it, but I can't.

10/10.

I like how Jiro's son has an RS6

Quick Reply: Jiro Dreams of Sushi