Dinner and a Movie Discuss your favorite movies foods, restaurants and recipies.

The Hobbit

Old 12-26-2012, 02:44 PM
Gatsbee13

7/10
Old 01-03-2013, 11:21 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Chris_Lum
Didn't love it, but i enjoyed it. Felt like a natural return to Middle Earth. My fiancée who is a big LOTR fan, actually didn't like it. She felt it was too long and drawn out and didn't think the characters were as good. I thought it was cool to see all the trolls, dwarves and the bit with Gollum was really good. The technological advances they made that allowed them to catch more of Andy Serkis' facial movements was awesome.
100% agree with this -- the movie felt SO LONG and overly-packed with...too much stuff.
Entirely too many trolls, that whole sequence felt like watching a video game cut sequence and was not the same quality (Gandalf running looked so bad).

Like 130 minutes in I was exhausted and angry that the movie kept shoving more down my throat.
I found at least 20 minutes that could've been cut to improve the movie (sick hedgehog scene, a lot of the troll stuff, etc) and would've preferred Jackson keep Hobbit to 2 movies...or maybe just keep this movie to a more traditional runtime and put the rest on DVD special features.

Liked it...wanted to love it.
Old 01-12-2013, 09:19 PM

Received 30 Likes on 30 Posts

I loved it and never felt it was too long. I've been a life-long fan of The Hobbit and LOTR. A movie can never be quiet as good as the book, but I believe Peter Jackson came as close as one could. At the end of The Hobbit, part I, I was not ready for the movie to end. I don't see The Hobbit story going past Part II. I've also heard that that Part III will bring the story between The Hobbit and LOTR, so I'm looking forward to each new one.

I've already been to two back to back screenings of the LOTR trilogies, extended versions, in theaters, so I'm looking forward to an ultra-marathon of all six, when they are completed.
Old 01-18-2013, 09:23 AM

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Didn't quite hold up to the standards set by the original LOTR movies, but very good. Agreed with the troll stuff, especially with an uncanny ability to survive ridiculous falls. Also it felt too humorous and childish during some parts, yet too dark and frightening for children during others.

Loved the connections to the LOTR trilogy and the foreshadowing to it.