Delaware Valley S2000 Members Delaware, Eastern PA (Philly)Southern New Jersey

wondering what the locals think about this...

Old 01-03-2007, 08:05 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default wondering what the locals think about this...

i'm not sure if i'm supposed to post a link to another thread in the "s2000 talk" category, but i'm not getting enough feedback there so i figured i'd try here...

https://www.s2ki.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=450405

any comments/suggestions please reply...
Old 01-03-2007, 09:29 PM
Former Moderator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I dont trust the Honda dealor at all.

If I was buying a used s2000 I would have a compression test done. I would have the valves checked/ adjusted. Drive the car and listen for diff wine/ noise. Make sure the car shifts smooth, and make sure theirs no noise when you turn.

Get all the service records, and as much history as you can.
Old 01-04-2007, 04:11 AM

Originally Posted by Guedo512,Jan 3 2007, 10:29 PM
I dont trust the Honda dealor at all.

If I was buying a used s2000 I would have a compression test done. I would have the valves checked/ adjusted. Drive the car and listen for diff wine/ noise. Make sure the car shifts smooth, and make sure theirs no noise when you turn.

Get all the service records, and as much history as you can.
Thanks for the tips...this is what I was looking for. Do you think I should be worried about the drain on the battery? Even if they find a crimped or damaged wire there could be other problems, and electrical problems are some of the hardest to solve...so that makes me nervous about buying this particular car. I've already started looking at some other ones that might be just as nice, but I won't know til I see them in person. I'm not locked into buying the car I've been talking about, since my deposit is contingent on me driving the car and the car checking out, which it hasn't...
Old 01-04-2007, 04:12 AM
Community Organizer

Received 185 Likes on 163 Posts

Check to make sure ALL of the VIN tags are still intact. I believe there are 7 total. Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

That's actually mentioned in this link that someone provided you.
Old 01-04-2007, 04:26 AM

[QUOTE=freq,Jan 4 2007, 05:12 AM]Check to make sure ALL of the VIN tags are still intact. I believe there are 7 total. Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

That's actually mentioned in this link that someone provided you.
Old 01-04-2007, 04:35 AM
Community Organizer

Received 185 Likes on 163 Posts

[QUOTE=97AClude,Jan 4 2007, 08:26 AM] Yea I know, that link is really thorough, but not s2000-specific...which is what i'm asking .
Old 01-04-2007, 04:39 AM

Originally Posted by freq,Jan 4 2007, 05:35 AM
Don't let a $300 lip sway you away from the better car.

Where are these cars located?
A used front lip isn't going to sway me, but this one also has lower miles than the one I'm looking at now, and no problems (that I know of yet, haven't seen it in person). I would just consider it a bonus .
Old 01-04-2007, 05:40 AM
Former Moderator

Originally Posted by 97AClude,Jan 4 2007, 08:11 AM
Thanks for the tips...this is what I was looking for. Do you think I should be worried about the drain on the battery? Even if they find a crimped or damaged wire there could be other problems, and electrical problems are some of the hardest to solve...so that makes me nervous about buying this particular car. I've already started looking at some other ones that might be just as nice, but I won't know til I see them in person. I'm not locked into buying the car I've been talking about, since my deposit is contingent on me driving the car and the car checking out, which it hasn't...
Honestly I never really read about that or looked into it, so I cant tell you what to do. If a car sits, its natural the battery will drain. The s2000 has the alarm light blinking 24/7, but its not going to kill the battery that quick. As long as the car is started every so often, and it is able to sit running at idle the battery should be ok. I do suggest getting a new battery though if you buy a used car
Old 01-04-2007, 06:57 AM

Originally Posted by Guedo512,Jan 4 2007, 06:40 AM
Honestly I never really read about that or looked into it, so I cant tell you what to do. If a car sits, its natural the battery will drain. The s2000 has the alarm light blinking 24/7, but its not going to kill the battery that quick. As long as the car is started every so often, and it is able to sit running at idle the battery should be ok. I do suggest getting a new battery though if you buy a used car
That's actually what the seller was doing, putting in a new battery b/c it drained. Then while the dealership was installing a new one, they found that something was causing a slow drain...so right now they've pinpointed the problem to underneath the driver's seat, where there apparently is a lot of wiring. They think one of those wires is crimped or damaged, causing a short and a slow drain...this makes me worried b/c electrical problems are a real PITA and even if you find one thing damaged, there could other problems that are harder to find and that don't surface until later...
Old 01-04-2007, 11:34 AM

Feel the paint around the bumpers to see if it "matches" other body panels. I found out later mines was in a slight rear accident (carfax never reported it). Make sure all body panels line up correctly.

Check the top for premature wear around the bars.
Check the fluids. (But you're gonna change them anyway since DIY is fun)
TSB's done? (Axle nut retorque etc)

You could always ask a member to go with you. Since most of us here have owned one for quite some time, we could always do a look over for all the little quirks of this car.

Quick Reply: wondering what the locals think about this...