Delaware Valley S2000 Members Delaware, Eastern PA (Philly)Southern New Jersey

What is there to see in Philly for a visitor?

Old 01-20-2003, 05:04 AM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default What is there to see in Philly for a visitor?

Okay, so let's just say that someone was visiting the Philadelphia area sometime in the very near future....what would be some of the "must see or do" things in that area? Just curious....thinking that some help from you guys and gals would be nice. Also, any places that are just great for pictures if this person happens to be a picture freak? Thanks!
Old 01-20-2003, 06:19 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Boat House Row....Art Museum..etc

Mikes2k would be a good source. He lives right down there!!
Old 01-20-2003, 07:27 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Dock Street Brewery @ 18th & Cherry, if it's as good as it was last time I was there. Good food, good beer, close to my hotel

Ryan
Old 01-20-2003, 08:02 AM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by RyanITV
[B]Dock Street Brewery @ 18th & Cherry, if it's as good as it was last time I was there.
Old 01-20-2003, 08:03 AM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by 2Ting
[B]Boat House Row....Art Museum..etc

Mikes2k would be a good source.
Old 01-20-2003, 08:20 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

mmmmm i wouldnt know, but my sister goes to school there so ill ask her and back to ya mitch
Old 01-20-2003, 08:49 AM

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

Well one thing about Philly love it or hate it...there is ALWAYS TONS to see n do.

Some of this I cut n pasted for the facts n figures.
Hmmmm lets see these are in no particular order

How bout City Hall - most people do not know but it is the Largest and tallest Masonry Building in the world! It is also the largest and most expensive municipal building in the US (no wonder the city has no money!) It is STILL in the middle of a bath but the scaffolding is off the top and it looks wonderful again.

Fairmont park- Pennsylvania: Penn's "green Towne" is home to the largest landscaped urban park in the world. Fairmont Park has 9,000 acres of parkland, with scenic drives, bicycle paths and horse-riding trials tracing both sides of the Schuylkill River. The park is the home of seven handsomely restored 18th-and 19th-century mansions and Boathouse Row, a cluster of gingerbread boathouses, illuminated in the evenings with strings of soft white lights.
At the park's southern tip lie two cultural treasures: The Philadelphia Museum of Art and the Rodin Museum and a few blocks beyond is the Franklin Institute.

Italian Market- yes where Rocky had his famous jog in the cold morning- a site to see and smell

Mutter museum- Univ of Penn museum of medical oddities. Skulls, creepy things in jars, conjoined twins, old medical instruments, all I can say is GO!

Rosenbach museum- For the book lovers, original manuscripts and illustrations from Alice in Wonderland and tons of Maurice Sendeks stuff.The Rosenbach is a major cultural destination--a research center that is home to one of the nation's great collections of rare books and manuscripts, as well as a beautiful, historic townhouse filled with fine art and antiques. Besides being on one of the MOST BEAUTIFUL Streets in a city anywhere! Trading place with Eddie Murphy and Dan Akroyd was filmed on this street.

Reading Terminal Market- one word YUMMY

Ritenhouse square- Where all the beautiful people hang, This and OLD CITY. one the nicer "pocket parks" laid out by William Pennn in an effort to make his Greene Countrie towne effect.

Tony Lukes!!!! One word -greasy great cheese steaks - ok thats 3 words but I know the PCG will forgive me

Liberty Bell- Everyone knows this one but still- a must see!

YeloS2000ShowGrl- I assume the reason for your visit Mitch! two things dont expect to see her EARLY and make sure you run it by DEL VAL FIRST!!!!

And if your going to be touring in the S. Watch out for potholes!!! And be sure to take this photo op!
Old 01-20-2003, 09:38 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

HAHAHAHAHHAHA mitch was afraid of the whole DEL VAL bunch, and mitch sorry man but i cant make it, i have to be here in school ahhhhh damn school
Old 01-20-2003, 09:55 AM

Originally posted by mikes2k
YeloS2000ShowGrl- I assume the reason for your visit Mitch! two things dont expect to see her EARLY and make sure you run it by DEL VAL FIRST!!!!

And if your going to be touring in the S. Watch out for potholes!!! And be sure to take this photo op!

Thanks for the pointers. Where is that picture by the way?

I wouldn't think of visiting without asking Del Val first. I value my life.
Old 01-20-2003, 10:34 AM
Former Moderator

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Meeyatch1
[B]I wouldn't think of visiting without asking Del Val first. I value my life.

Quick Reply: What is there to see in Philly for a visitor?