Delaware Valley S2000 Members Delaware, Eastern PA (Philly)Southern New Jersey

Throttle Body swap

Old 07-10-2006, 07:49 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Throttle Body swap

Hello,
I am still trying to figure out what is wrong with my car. It runs poorly and hesitates and has about 3/4 of the power it should. It is a long story. The engine is brand new, the blower is rebuilt by Vortech and I have no CEL. It isnt the spark plugs, coil packs or MAP sensor. I changed the spark plugs and gapped them to .034. I swapped coil packs with another owner and it didn't help. I bought the new upgraded MAP sensor. Jeff Goetz, Hardtopguy, said a lot of people have had problems with the TPS or throtttle posotioning sensor. It is on the throttle body. You can replace just this sensor. You have to buy the whole throttle body which is $500.

So, I am getting narrowing down the problem and am getting close. I was wondering if there was any one on here that a.) had an extra throttle body laying around b.) doesn't drive their car much and could part with their throttle body for afew days or c.) Jeff's suggestion to swap out the throttle body with sonmeone else's and see how both cars behave.

It is a very simple procedure that take about 10 mins. There are only 4 bolts. I just don't want to spend $500 if I am not sure that is the problem. Please let me know if anyone would like ot help me out. It is very easy and safe and would help me out a great deal as I am about to go off the deep end with this car.

Thanks,
Anthony
Old 07-10-2006, 09:04 AM
Community Organizer

Received 185 Likes on 163 Posts

You are located right in Philly or just around Philly?
Old 07-10-2006, 10:46 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

tps always go bad on honda swaps for some reason, pm billman he might have a tb lying round, and thoroughly check all your wire harness connections, a mismatched harness can produce the symptons your describing
Old 07-10-2006, 04:34 PM

Doesnt sound like your throttle body. Whats your A/F say when it hesitates? Are you hitting full boost still? Sounds more like a Vortech black box issue.
Old 07-11-2006, 05:46 AM

Freq - I live in Manayunk, so, right in Philly.

MADjdm - thanks

revhi,
The car hesitates and feels actually slower than stock. When I get to about 5k, it feels much better and I can boost it but it still doens't feel right. I know it is something simple and stupid. Hence why I have checked the spark plugs, coil packs, vacuum lines. The only only things left could be this TPS, my ECU, or Vortech black box. Not sure what my A/F is when it hesitates. Even when it isn't hesitating, it just feels slow. I'll see what my A'F is during normal driving and see if I can catch it when it hesitates. The car isn't fun to drive so the most boost I ever make is about 1-2 tops occationally on the highway. I've been in VTEC maybe 5 times in the last 6 months. Terrible. But like I said, it feels much smoother at about 5k and up. What do you know about the black box going bad?

Thanks,
Anthony
Old 07-11-2006, 05:32 PM

Sounds maybe your to rich down low, get the fuel pressure checked, not sure what the vortech setup uses. Dont know to much about the black box, except people have been having issues with it.
Old 07-12-2006, 09:50 AM

The problem with all of this is, the hesitation/poor drivability happens before boost and at lower rpm's. The Vortech uses a FMU but that only goes on when I start making boost. The car actually feels better when I start to make boost. Does the black box do anything when the car isn't in boost? If it doesn't, then this isn't a black box issue. That's why I think it is a normal, non supercharger related issue. I mean, the engine is brand new, the supercharger is newly rebuilt by vortech so nothing should be wrong with those. Thanks for your help.
Anthony
Old 07-12-2006, 12:10 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Check your boost.
Check fuel rail.
Check fuel pumps.
Check fuel riser (if you have).
Check A/F throughout.
Do compression test.

You need to rule out all these with hard numbers. No guessing.

It's a checklist. Go through it carefully. It will help you later narrow down the problem.
Old 07-12-2006, 12:14 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Anthonymv,Jul 12 2006, 09:50 AM
The problem with all of this is, the hesitation/poor drivability happens before boost and at lower rpm's. The Vortech uses a FMU but that only goes on when I start making boost. The car actually feels better when I start to make boost. Does the black box do anything when the car isn't in boost? If it doesn't, then this isn't a black box issue. That's why I think it is a normal, non supercharger related issue. I mean, the engine is brand new, the supercharger is newly rebuilt by vortech so nothing should be wrong with those. Thanks for your help.
Anthony
New means nothing. Plenty of new 'bad' part stories/builds. Aftermarket and Factory.
Old 07-12-2006, 06:07 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Throttle body for sale

Quick Reply: Throttle Body swap