Delaware Valley S2000 Members Delaware, Eastern PA (Philly)Southern New Jersey

Tailgating crackdown in NJ through end of Oct

Old 10-16-2009, 09:45 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tailgating crackdown in NJ through end of Oct

For those of you unfortunate enough to have to travel through or live in New Jersey...

http://www.philly.com/philly/blogs/from_th...tailgaters.html

Friday, October 16, 2009
Jersey troopers to crack down on tailgaters

Inquirer staff writer Sam Wood reports:

Tailgating drivers in New Jersey, should prepare to slow down and back off.

State troopers will be using new laser technology and a variety of unmarked cars as they begin a crackdown on tailgaters Oct. 17 on the Turnpike and the Garden State Parkway, said Sgt. Stephen Jones, a state police spokesman. The campaign will run through Oct. 31.

Tailgating, or following another vehicle too closely, causes about a third of the crashes on New Jersey’s two main arteries, Jones said.

Troopers are advising drivers to maintain a distance of one car length for every 10 m.p.h. they are traveling.

Violators are subject to a sizable fine and five points on their driver’s licenses.
Andrew
Old 10-16-2009, 11:09 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I don't think it takes lasers to tell whether or not someone is tailgating.

Also, in NJ it's not called tailgating, it's called "getting stuck behind all those slow people from PA and NY doing 5mph under in the left lane who have no f-king clue where the hell they're going." /rant

Old 10-16-2009, 11:39 AM

if all the slow pokes just stayed in the right lane my tailgating problems would be solved.

on another note you do have your assholes out there who tailgate when there's no where to go. I had a semi trunk in front of me last night on a one lane street, and some dude right up on my bumper. a friendly brake check almost sent him slamming into me he was so close. jerk offs.
Old 10-16-2009, 01:22 PM

This would only be fair so long as they also enforced the "keep right, pass left" law too which invariably they won't. I can see it now: two cars both in the left lane, no one else around, the car in the back gets a little close and gets busted for it although, in my opinion and in this specific scenario, riding in the "fast" lane when you weren't passing anyone is more of an egregious offense.
Old 10-16-2009, 02:17 PM

they should enforce all the slow drivers in the left lane of the ac expressway
Old 10-16-2009, 02:26 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

the one thing i CAN appreciate about nj is the fact that drivers from there know how to stay in the DAMN RIGHT LANE and know they are going slower than the sports car behind them. if i wanna drive fast, then let me pass and crash
Old 10-16-2009, 03:05 PM

Originally Posted by StickShiftRick,Oct 16 2009, 04:22 PM
This would only be fair so long as they also enforced the "keep right, pass left" law too which invariably they won't. I can see it now: two cars both in the left lane, no one else around, the car in the back gets a little close and gets busted for it although, in my opinion and in this specific scenario, riding in the "fast" lane when you weren't passing anyone is more of an egregious offense.
Exactly. Improper passing is much more profitable for them than failure to keep right.

Failure to keep right = 2 points
Improper passing = 4 points

Hell, they have an incentive to NOT punish the people riding the left lane. I see it all the time: idiot in the left lane, a line of cars backed up behind them, then one by one they say screw it and pass him on the right. If the po-po happened to be around to see one of those trains, that could be a nice payday for the state.
Old 10-16-2009, 04:02 PM

Originally Posted by GinoGT,Oct 16 2009, 11:09 AM
I don't think it takes lasers to tell whether or not someone is tailgating.

Also, in NJ it's not called tailgating, it's called "getting stuck behind all those slow people from PA and NY doing 5mph under in the left lane who have no f-king clue where the hell they're going." /rant

that's funny, we say the same thing about people from jersey and maryland, more about the jersey people as they still don't know how to pump gas
Old 10-17-2009, 09:21 AM

Great, and I have to go from Exit 4 to Exit 11 today, then down to 117 on the GSP. At least there won't be beach traffic!
Old 10-17-2009, 07:29 PM

Just got back from Hazlet, and only saw two people pulled over today. There seemed to be less cops than usual, not more. Maybe they're saving it for Monday morning so they can just hand you a ticket as you get on the Turnpike.