Delaware Valley S2000 Members Delaware, Eastern PA (Philly)Southern New Jersey

Speeding ticket

Old 03-28-2007, 06:45 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

2 points in PA are gone within a year.
Old 03-28-2007, 09:39 AM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I guess I had 3 then maybe? I don't really remember anymore since it's been a few year, just remembered I had to be good for 1 year so that I wouldn't have my license suspended, and then another year before it was all cleared up.
Old 03-28-2007, 09:39 AM
Member (Premium)

Received 1,003 Likes on 519 Posts

Jen, Frank,

I'm pretty sure that 1 year to the day after the last violation was posted, you lose 2 DMV points. If you go 363 days and get a ticket, the whole year was lost and you start over. There is a difference between when the ticket occurs and the points are posted.

The fines in NJ start to get significant, and last for 3 years, once you get to 6 DMV points. Then, regardless of who clean you are (and its possible to have 0 points by the end of the 3 years, you're still paying DMV surcharges).

For insurance its 36 or 39 months (I've never heard of 60 months), depending on a new or renewal policy. I'm going through this now, as my accident was 37 months ago. I got my bill, but by the time my policy renews, the accident will be past the 39 months.

Like Jen says, insurance points are very different, and calculated differently by different companies.

To Red, our original poster - You live in PA, so I'll defer to them, but think the logic of appearing in court for a plea/reduced ticket makes sense.
Old 03-28-2007, 09:54 AM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Also appearing in court gives you a decent chance that the officer will not show (has happened to a number of my friends) which is an automatic dismissal of the the ticket.
Old 03-28-2007, 01:43 PM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

That is true...if the officer dosen't show up, you're out of the ticket free and clear. You dont' need a lawyer unless you really want to rock the judge. just plead not guilty and for lower points and maybe a traffic vio but 30 over is a naughty one to get out of.
I was looking @ 3 points and a hefty fine...I talked the to officer, and he said it will be changed to parking on a sidewalk and it was like $50 so it turned out well.
Old 03-28-2007, 02:03 PM

Originally Posted by Gink5' date='Mar 28 2007, 07:29 AM
Dont WASTE money on a lawyer. Just plead not guilty, hopefully when you show up to the court room the cop will speak to you first. If he ask why you are fighting just tell him you could use a llite help.

I've been through this more then once

Also dress nice.

For the love of god dont get a lawyer.
this is the best advice anyone could possibly give...

first and formost PLEAD NOT GUILTY...yea you'll have to goto a court date but most of the time like people have said they make a deal with you and atleast drop some of the points...

make sure you DRESS NICE...it makes a HUGE difference..for example

i got a speeding ticket on dauphin street in catty doing 59.6 in a 30. seriously .4 more mph and i woulda insta lost my license for doubling the speed limit. i plead not guilty and went to the "trial". the first thing the judge asked me was why i was wearing a button up shirt with a tie and i told him i had to come from work to the trial. he commented that i didn't look like the normal riff raff he see's..!!! seriously..dress nice...the cop never showed because he was in the hospital so the judge gave me the option of either rescheduling it or he would reduce it to 5mph over...that drop saved me like half the cost of the ticket which was 170$ total. that...and because it was the second time i went over 5-6 points on my license i had to goto a "special dmv hearing"...because the judge dropped it to 5mph over the judge/supervisor there took one look at it and was like "oh you weren't even doing anything that bad, i'm not gonna suspend or do anything to you, get outa here"... another edit: i also dressed nice with a tie to goto the dmv hearing it f'in works no bs

seriously...plead not guilty and just go..it'll take like a half hour to an hour and even if you don't get the ticket dropped you'll most likely get it reduced by a lot.

edit: forgot to add why you should dress nice..lol sorry i was in a rush to go drive with the top down#$^#$^
Old 03-28-2007, 10:46 PM

Originally Posted by Heyitsgary,Mar 28 2007, 12:39 PM
For insurance its 36 or 39 months (I've never heard of 60 months), depending on a new or renewal policy. I'm going through this now, as my accident was 37 months ago. I got my bill, but by the time my policy renews, the accident will be past the 39 months.
geico (last insruance company i was with a couple years ago, they may have changed since i have been with them though) is 60 months and also njcure is 60 months it sucks i havent had a ticket *knock on wood* in over 4 years and i still have 2 tickets on my insruance because it takes 5 years for the insurance points to clear but in 2008 my insruance will go down alot!
Old 03-29-2007, 03:54 PM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I just went through something with similar speeds and they let me slide

Just plead not guilty and get a lawyer then hope the judge is in a good mood or cop dosent show up
Old 03-30-2007, 10:03 PM

whoa DO NOT GET A LAWYER thats such a waste of money unless your rich as hell...seriously its so not needed...just plead guilty and go talk to them..you'll most likely get a really lessened punishment...seriously though..unless you have mad dough to just throw at a lawyer or have one in your family or something there no need for one..sorry startrek but its total overkill....
Old 03-31-2007, 11:35 AM
Gold Member (Premium)

Received 31 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by kill,Mar 31 2007, 01:03 AM
........just plead guilty and go talk to them.....
I think you meant 'not guilty'

I used a lawyer for a case in Philly a couple years ago (not speeding....it was a bogus 'failure to yield' case). I got off w/o any fine or points.....the lawyer did the deal w/o me saying a word. It may be worth having an attorney in Philly Traffic Court

Quick Reply: Speeding ticket