Delaware Valley S2000 Members Delaware, Eastern PA (Philly)Southern New Jersey

So I got pulled over today....

Old 12-19-2013, 05:48 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks guys I'm shitting bricks haha. It was in PA and pa law States mandatory loss of license. I dunno I just hate the fact that I'm getting dicked over. It sucks because I'm driving to MD nyc and OH for interviews within a month and I need to drive haha.
Old 12-19-2013, 05:50 PM

Freq if you can call me 7176442144 and describe it more in detail I think it would put me more at ease haha.
Old 12-20-2013, 05:20 AM

Received 24 Likes on 23 Posts

While living in NC and fighting a speeding ticket myself in court.....

The case before me was a guy speeding and changing lanes in his Honda Prelude. An off duty officer traveling with his family was cut off by this guy. The off duty wrote down the guy's tag and they mailed him a citation. The guy fought it, the judge upheld the officer's word and the ticket.

A few things though...this guy had previous reckless driving citations. He did not have an attorney. It was NC not PA, so rules may be different.

So it is possible to receive a citation from an off duty via mail.

I would suggest calling an attorney for a FREE consultation. I'd choose an attorney that is close to the police department and/or courthouse in which you have to appear. They'll give you the best advice as they probably have prior experience with judge/officer. They'll give you the best advice as what to expect.

My two cents
Old 12-20-2013, 05:43 AM

Received 45 Likes on 42 Posts

I would think that any ticket issued would have to come from the D.A. that handles traffic matters. The witnessing officer would have to file a written complaint detailing the offense. Based on the details of the report the D.A. would then choose to either issue a citation or not. I don't imagine you will receive anything other than the "dressing down" you already received at the time of the offense. Should you receive a citation, do contest it. I'm sure it can be reduced to unsafe lane change or something similar.
Old 12-20-2013, 08:33 AM

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Honestly,

Hire a lawyer, because this is serious. Make them prove what you did. They need some evidence that you were reckless. If you plead not guilty they need to prove this beyond reasonable doubt that you were reckless. I would also delete everything you said in this thread ASAP.
Old 12-20-2013, 09:10 AM

Originally Posted by berlinablackie
While living in NC and fighting a speeding ticket myself in court.....

The case before me was a guy speeding and changing lanes in his Honda Prelude. An off duty officer traveling with his family was cut off by this guy. The off duty wrote down the guy's tag and they mailed him a citation. The guy fought it, the judge upheld the officer's word and the ticket.

A few things though...this guy had previous reckless driving citations. He did not have an attorney. It was NC not PA, so rules may be different.

So it is possible to receive a citation from an off duty via mail.

I would suggest calling an attorney for a FREE consultation. I'd choose an attorney that is close to the police department and/or courthouse in which you have to appear. They'll give you the best advice as they probably have prior experience with judge/officer. They'll give you the best advice as what to expect.

My two cents
Well I probably will be hiring an attorney at some point in time if I do receive a citation in the mail.

Originally Posted by Vanishing Point
I would think that any ticket issued would have to come from the D.A. that handles traffic matters. The witnessing officer would have to file a written complaint detailing the offense. Based on the details of the report the D.A. would then choose to either issue a citation or not. I don't imagine you will receive anything other than the "dressing down" you already received at the time of the offense. Should you receive a citation, do contest it. I'm sure it can be reduced to unsafe lane change or something similar.
Well the only witness to what happened was the off-duty officer and his wife. lol, but still sucks having to go against a police officer in court. my word < his word

Originally Posted by SkiLLeDS2000
Honestly,

Hire a lawyer, because this is serious. Make them prove what you did. They need some evidence that you were reckless. If you plead not guilty they need to prove this beyond reasonable doubt that you were reckless. I would also delete everything you said in this thread ASAP.
I am going to plead not guilty because I wasn't guilty for anything. Honestly I feel that I did what was right and the cop is just trying to flex his power. I have pleaded non-guilty to other traffic citations, but those were to just get the charges lessened, but this is actually BS.
Old 12-21-2013, 08:58 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Keep calm, I really doubt you will get anything in the mail, if you do, an attorney probably will get you off with no points, if you don't know one I have a good one.
Old 12-21-2013, 11:12 AM

Got the citation in the mail today i wrote what it says for the citation.
Old 12-22-2013, 05:34 AM

Received 24 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by seoul2k
Got the citation in the mail today i wrote what it says for the citation.
I'd still get an attorney, and fight it. If anything, it might get reduced.
Old 12-22-2013, 10:31 AM

Received 143 Likes on 92 Posts

Lawyer up.

Quick Reply: So I got pulled over today....