Delaware Valley S2000 Members Delaware, Eastern PA (Philly)Southern New Jersey

Maybe someone here could help me...

Old 01-13-2009, 07:11 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Maybe someone here could help me...

Hey delval,

As many of you would knows times have gotten rougher. I was wondering if anyone of you guys knew of any part-time job ops that may be available in the Lehigh Valley. I've briefly thought about working retail a couple nights a week, but decided to keep that as a last resort as it's something that gets very easily monotonous and very tiring as well as inflexible. Craigslist doesn't quite have an ideal set of part time jobs as they are either unethical or conflicting.

In my ideal world, I could tutor some kid(s) in the area. I could easily specialize in SAT math (720/800 math SAT in highschool), Korean/English language (fluent in written & spoken in both languages) or most any other subject matter.

I also have a graphic design minor (Photoshop, Illustrator, Indesign, Aperture), uber-strong computer skills (http://daperture.com/resume), passion for car detailing (but don't have years experience & all tools), Photography, and willing to do just about anything as long as it doesn't interfere with my primary job and isn't minimum wage. I'm not quite hurting yet, but I do want to be as proactive as possible.

I definitely appreciate anyone looking out for me. Thanks.
Old 01-14-2009, 04:25 AM
Community Organizer

Received 185 Likes on 163 Posts

No valet gigs until April but I think I told you that.
Old 01-14-2009, 01:22 PM
Former Moderator

Good luck Donald.

Retail is ok if your not spending your check at the store. Look into something like Home depot, Lowes or Best Buy. These are supposed to be 3 great places to work at if your looking for retail.

Tutoring is a great idea, but with people not having extra money its going to be hard for them to justify spending extra cash for it.

I think we all need to make the "Del Val" business plan. We all have enough ideas. I'm sure if a few of us got together we could make something work.
Old 01-15-2009, 06:52 AM

Originally Posted by Francesco' date='Jan 14 2009, 05:22 PM
Good luck Donald.

Retail is ok if your not spending your check at the store. Look into something like Home depot, Lowes or Best Buy. These are supposed to be 3 great places to work at if your looking for retail.

Tutoring is a great idea, but with people not having extra money its going to be hard for them to justify spending extra cash for it.

I think we all need to make the "Del Val" business plan. We all have enough ideas. I'm sure if a few of us got together we could make something work.
Right. The problem with working at clothing stores is that they require you to wear their own clothes. Even with discounts lots of places are still pretty expensive.

I can definitely see Best Buy, Home Depot or Lowes being a pretty decent retail gig. Those stores seem big enough that getting a day off when a trip comes up would be much easier than say starbucks or any retail with 1-3 people per shift. I believe the trick is actually getting into said store.

I think I'll need to expand my Korean/Asian networks to get into tutoring gigs. Typically, most asian parents are crazy about their kid going IVY league and tutor the crap out of their kids even if they don't have the money. Well, many asians that own their own business can definitely manage to pay extra, despite the down turn.

Well, I was going to try to start up detailing on the side, just never got around to finishing my business card and establishing my reputation. Hehe... Delval would be a good place to start. Anyone want a free detail?

As far as delval business plan goes, it could probably work. I think the key is finding a niche and filling it...
Old 01-15-2009, 07:13 AM
Community Organizer

Received 185 Likes on 163 Posts

Originally Posted by kndonlee' date='Jan 15 2009, 10:52 AM
As far as delval business plan goes, it could probably work. I think the key is finding a niche and filling it...
Telecommunications Consultant.

Wireline, wireless, Internet, Ethernet, VoIP, Networking, ......

What are you paying now and where can your business save $$? Let us help you consolidate your service while saving you $$.
Old 01-15-2009, 08:52 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey I work at Starbucks and it's not too difficult to take off. If you know a trip is coming up, you can request off, or get someone to cover for you. It's really not that bad.
Old 01-15-2009, 09:37 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Donald, how does wireless sales sound? The company I work for may have an opening but Im not 100% sure. Ill let you know when we meet up.
Old 01-15-2009, 11:22 AM

Originally Posted by nhanxsolo' date='Jan 15 2009, 12:52 PM
Hey I work at Starbucks and it's not too difficult to take off. If you know a trip is coming up, you can request off, or get someone to cover for you. It's really not that bad.
*chuckles* where at? My girlfriend works at sbux as well. She's a shift and everyone is always asking her to find coverage since she knows who to call for hours. Sbux isn't bad, but you've got mostly 19-25 yr/olds that want their friday-sundays off, which is hardest to find coverage for and typically when I like to have free time off. I have considered it, but we shall see. =)
Old 01-15-2009, 12:07 PM

Originally Posted by Jamison1987' date='Jan 15 2009, 01:37 PM
Donald, how does wireless sales sound? The company I work for may have an opening but Im not 100% sure. Ill let you know when we meet up.
Sounds interesting. Seems like a commission based sale rep thing at a mall?
Old 01-15-2009, 01:34 PM
Former Moderator

Originally Posted by kndonlee' date='Jan 15 2009, 10:52 AM
Right. The problem with working at clothing stores is that they require you to wear their own clothes. Even with discounts lots of places are still pretty expensive.

I can definitely see Best Buy, Home Depot or Lowes being a pretty decent retail gig. Those stores seem big enough that getting a day off when a trip comes up would be much easier than say starbucks or any retail with 1-3 people per shift. I believe the trick is actually getting into said store.

I think I'll need to expand my Korean/Asian networks to get into tutoring gigs. Typically, most asian parents are crazy about their kid going IVY league and tutor the crap out of their kids even if they don't have the money. Well, many asians that own their own business can definitely manage to pay extra, despite the down turn.

Well, I was going to try to start up detailing on the side, just never got around to finishing my business card and establishing my reputation. Hehe... Delval would be a good place to start. Anyone want a free detail?

PM Roger and work something out with him. He has the detailing covered and has some clients, all he needs is a shop and he is set.

Quick Reply: Maybe someone here could help me...