Delaware Valley S2000 Members Delaware, Eastern PA (Philly)Southern New Jersey

let's talk rotors rotors rotors

Old 03-31-2011, 06:07 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

honsport.com

Their site is down at the moment, but they've got blank Centric rotors for CHEAP. I mean freaking CHEAP. Ran a set of those on the track last year, they're good stuff.

If you really need the mad tyte horsepower of drilled/slotted rotors though, go for it. My friend had a set of those things on his car, and they were eating his old brake pads up. He got new pads, I told him to get rid of the rotors, he didn't, and they proceeded to chew up his new pads too.
Old 03-31-2011, 07:58 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I haven't replaced the brakes on my S2000 yet but I used Power Alloy Cryo-Treated Rotors on my BMWs for years. They last much longer than regular rotors and only cost a little more.

Here's a link: Cryo Rotors
Old 04-02-2011, 06:05 AM
Community Organizer

Received 185 Likes on 163 Posts

Originally Posted by GinoGT
honsport.com

Their site is down at the moment, but they've got blank Centric rotors for CHEAP. I mean freaking CHEAP. Ran a set of those on the track last year, they're good stuff.

If you really need the mad tyte horsepower of drilled/slotted rotors though, go for it. My friend had a set of those things on his car, and they were eating his old brake pads up. He got new pads, I told him to get rid of the rotors, he didn't, and they proceeded to chew up his new pads too.

TRUTH!! Thats what I used to replace mine. Got my old ones cut for cheap just for emergency stand-by units.
Old 04-02-2011, 03:50 PM
Former Moderator

Personally I would go slotted over cross drilled. I will be going this direction when I upgrade my brakes.
Old 04-02-2011, 05:21 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

yup, thats what I went with...slotted
Old 04-03-2011, 03:38 PM
Former Moderator

Originally Posted by HonCBRf2
I just hear so many horror stories about how the cross drilled rotors can crack. I know the slotted aren't perfect by any means, but I do feel that they're the better option other than OEM for a street driven vehicle.
Old 04-04-2011, 04:00 PM

Originally Posted by Mr. Francesco
Originally Posted by HonCBRf2' timestamp='1301793712' post='20423838
I just hear so many horror stories about how the cross drilled rotors can crack. I know the slotted aren't perfect by any means, but I do feel that they're the better option other than OEM for a street driven vehicle.
Not sure that I agree that slotted or cross-drilled rotors offer any benefit over standard blanks (assuming the same rotor type). Typical fronts that are vented are already vented to allow for cooling airflow. Cross drilling weakens the rotors structure, while drilling and slotting reduce the surface area friction available to the pad. Also slotting tends to eat up brake pads by offering a nice pad slicing edge.

Although drilled rotors have more surface area to dissipate heat, when considering the airflow patterns, the opportunity for air transfer for cooling would be minimal.
Old 04-04-2011, 04:24 PM

Originally Posted by freq
Originally Posted by GinoGT' timestamp='1301623639' post='20418054
honsport.com

TRUTH!! Thats what I used to replace mine. Got my old ones cut for cheap just for emergency stand-by units.
Centric Premiums or standards?

Just got a quote from rotorpros.net for $200 ($240 for slotted/dimpled/drilled)for 4 rotors and pads. Seems like the rotors sold are centric standards, which I hear hold up fairly decently. Seems some guys on the EVO forums aren't happy with the centric standard rotors.
Old 04-07-2011, 05:47 PM

Standards. They hold up just fine on the S2000. Only difference between Premium and Standard Centrics are the black coating on the hat and outer edge of the rotor. I wound up cooking that finish off anyway during track use.

The whole surface area of drilled rotors is pretty much . The tiny gain in surface area does nothing compared to what you give up in mass (amount of heat they can hold), not to mention them being much more prone to cracking. If cooling is really needed, then you put together some brake ducts. Now this is not to say it's impossible to make durable, reliable cross-drilled rotors, you can. However, you're going to be spending a whole hell of a lot to do so for no real reason.
Old 04-08-2011, 05:49 AM

Originally Posted by GinoGT
Standards. They hold up just fine on the S2000. Only difference between Premium and Standard Centrics are the black coating on the hat and outer edge of the rotor. I wound up cooking that finish off anyway during track use.

The whole surface area of drilled rotors is pretty much . The tiny gain in surface area does nothing compared to what you give up in mass (amount of heat they can hold), not to mention them being much more prone to cracking. If cooling is really needed, then you put together some brake ducts. Now this is not to say it's impossible to make durable, reliable cross-drilled rotors, you can. However, you're going to be spending a whole hell of a lot to do so for no real reason.
Interesting. I think I'll get me some Centrics =) Do you know if honsport has a set of 4 rotors and pads cheaper than 200?Their site still seems to be down.

Quick Reply: let's talk rotors rotors rotors