Delaware Valley S2000 Members Delaware, Eastern PA (Philly)Southern New Jersey

Job help...

Old 06-14-2004, 09:59 PM
Former Moderator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Job help...

Well right now i have 2 jobs, and both are ok. i work at a pizza shop, and i work for my dad. dad sells food, and i work at a pizza shop he sells too. so far ive been at the pizza shop for 5 years, every weekend. i only work for my dad during the summers. both are getting very annoying. working for family leaves you to feel bad about quiting, but its to the point where i am like, F it.

my mom is all for me getting a new job, but she wants me to find one before i quit the pizza shop. dad doesnt want me to quit the pizza shop. what should i do? if i worked more, my car would be paid off, but the job sucks and i never want to work. i work just enough their to pay for my car, and my dads job is gas money for me. if i had a job i liked i would work a lot more.

so heres the possible options:
1. work for dad, quit the pizza shop and get a new job when summer starts
2. quit both, get 1 full time job
3. stay where im at

this is a hard decision, i dont want to hurt anyone. finding a job in NJ sucks! anyone know of any places a money hungry 18 year old would want to work?
Old 06-15-2004, 04:25 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Go to something more upscale than a pizza shop

I currently work in an accounting office of a nicely sized jewelry store. I did get the job through my father who also works for the company, but you can get something like that on your own.

Look into things such as mortgage offices, banks, high end retail stores, etc.

Dont' go to the local Burger King. lol.

Being 19 and having a pretty sick cash flow is a real plus.
Old 06-15-2004, 04:32 PM
Former Moderator

ill keep that in mind LS. i just got home from the mall, its not a great place to get a job, but its better than pizzas. im trying for pacsun untill i can get a good good job.
Old 06-15-2004, 04:45 PM

Nah man, don't even start there. You want to park at the mall everyday????? I wouldn't.

Seriously, just go check out some nicer places that are at least detached from any mall like atmospheres.

Pacsun= cool clothes though. Give me a discount if you do work there. haha.
Old 06-15-2004, 04:47 PM
Former Moderator

parents have an 84 pos benz i can commute to work with. its a spare car, no one uses it really. its for family events mainly. their kool with me using it for work, i would park the s2000 at the mall for hours at a time.
Old 06-15-2004, 05:00 PM

That's cool then that you have another car to drive to work.

I won't leave my car at the mall for more than 30 minutes by itself. I don't trust people at the mall at all.
Old 06-15-2004, 07:57 PM

Well, here's some advice from someone just a little bit older than you (not much older, I'm 26).

If you're really unhappy working with/for family, leave as gracefully as you can. I worked for a family friend when I was in HS and later in during summers in college. It was a side job (second job) that I did like 1-2 days/week, resetting displays in hardware stores. I made like $100/day, which wasn't bad for an 17-19 year old at the time, but I hated the job. It usually entailed being abused by store managers, falling off ladders, being electrocuted after the store manager "swore" the breaker was off, lifting 80 lb bags of concrete for no reason. . . etc. Anyway, I felt bad about wanting to quit since it was a family friend's business (and my mom got me the job) so I just let the frustration build and build. It started to affect my attitude at work. . . and finally I snapped. I was being yelled at by a store manager for taking up too much shelf space (or something else that seems really stupid now), and just said, " off" and walked out of the job. This was NOT the way to handle the situation, but that's what happened when I'd had enough. Needless to say, I really let down my boss and my mom. I felt terrible afterwards and wished I'd found a way to walk away gracefully.

So, if you're really hating the pizza job, quit. Quit, but do it the right way. Explain to your dad and your boss that you want to explore other opportunities (maybe BS, but it sounds good), try new things, gain different experience, or something like that. Don't burn any bridges and walk away gracefully before you really hate the job.

Then again, at 18, and working in a pizza place, there are definitely some better jobs out there. . . and a ton of shittier ones. Find something that interests you and apply to that. You'll probably make similar money, but you'll enjoy yourself. At 18 you are still able to find work that makes you happy. . . a little later in life your options for doing so become much narrower, so take advantage now!

OK, that's it from me. Good luck.
Old 06-16-2004, 03:50 PM

Great advice happs22. Definitely some good things to follow by in his story.

Frank- Seriously look into something that may help you out in life later on. Right now, my job is kind of boring for what most kids want to do, but I am gaining so much knowledge on how a business runs and how to manage money. It's a great experience that will help me through all of my life.

But, if you want something to just have fun at, you can't beat the mall.
Old 06-16-2004, 04:10 PM
Former Moderator

Happs22...that is how i feel. the frustration does build up, and now im at that breaking point. saturday im going to leave on good terms. explain to them how i want to explore my options and the other bs i will come out with. he hardest part about me quiting is how im going to do it. thanks alot man, im glad someone was able to relate to almost the exact point.