Delaware Valley S2000 Members Delaware, Eastern PA (Philly)Southern New Jersey

How not to drive

Old 02-22-2009 | 07:20 PM
Former Moderator

Originally Posted by S~Factor,Feb 22 2009, 10:18 PM
I've seen the guy once while we were there last year. He is a very skilled driver, just ask Billman. Knows the Dragon like the back of his hand. I guess he was just having a bad day that day... who knows.

That overtake was unexcusable though.
Inexcusable for sure

Unfortunately, there is no correlation between skilled driver and stupid driver.

Fortunately, there was nothing worse than wrecked metal and bruised egos. It could have been a lot worse. Having been to the Dragon at least once or twice a year for the past 7 or so years, I've seen my fair share of accidents.

There is a simple rule to driving the Dragon.. You don't pass (unless they pull over), and you never cross the double yellow.
Old 02-22-2009 | 08:18 PM

i can see why he did pass tho, the integra and rx8 were going very very slow. shrug, dumbass move for not pulling over and waiting until those 2 cars went far far ahead
Old 02-22-2009 | 08:24 PM
Former Moderator

Originally Posted by menkio,Feb 23 2009, 01:18 AM
i can see why he did pass tho, the integra and rx8 were going very very slow. shrug, dumbass move for not pulling over and waiting until those 2 cars went far far ahead

it's a double yellow.. there is NO reason anyone should be passing there....

to your point, if he wanted to get a clean run, he should have slowed down and made some room. Judging from the sticker on the back of his window, it wasn't the first time he had been there (which makes it even less of an excuse for his behavior)
Old 02-22-2009 | 08:26 PM

he was trying to do the gutter move from Initial D

Old 02-22-2009 | 08:35 PM
Former Moderator

Originally Posted by Heyitsgary,Feb 22 2009, 09:58 PM
I don't understand the correlation between passing and the crash.

He passed, an absolute WRONG DECISION on the dragon, period. I won't dispute that at all and completely agree with everyone already posting that.

However, the crash has nothing to do with that. He was 10 seconds past the RX -8, and was back in his lane way before the crash.

I'm not going to speculate on the reasons, just that the two aren't related. He could have had the same fate if he left 2 minutes earlier (and was before the 2 cars), or if he left 10 minutes later and had a clear road.

Him passing the integra and rx8 didn't contribute to the crash at all. It was illegal though and not needed. As for the crash, he might not have lost control, he may have just went to close to the end of the road and went off.
Old 02-22-2009 | 09:23 PM
Gold Member (Premium)

Originally Posted by suprmonky73,Feb 22 2009, 09:33 PM
anyone been on the dragon before? i saw the layout on google maps and seen a few videos of people driving it, it looks sick, especially for a car with a nice suspension like ours
i drove it by myself on a MONDAY in spring 2007. it was great to drive it and NOT feel pushed by another S driver behind me. i had fun holding back a couple sports bikes for a while.....then came to my senses

as i have a nephew who lives nearby in TN, i look fwd to doing it again
Old 02-23-2009 | 05:55 AM
Gold Member (Premium)

Judging from the first video it doesn't look like the s2k crashed as a result of overtaking the two cars. You can see that after he over takes the two cars, he's hanging out just fine about a 100 yards ahead. It was the bend after him going out of view the second time that that he crashes. I would take it that he got a bit excited after passing the two cars and started going too fast and went wide like Matt pointed out.

He was probably just gunning it like many like to do after being stuck in some traffic jam going 20 for a while. He lost his prudence after passing.
Old 02-23-2009 | 06:11 AM

exactly what i was thinking. got the adrenaline pumping from passing those cars, then lost focus and messed up
Old 02-23-2009 | 06:17 AM

You need to be extremely brave, or extremely stupid to start flirting with the limits on the street. Especially with a road like that. Drop-offs, ditches on the side of the road... there's no margin for error. At least if you get in over your head at the track you'll (usually) have at least a nice patch of grass or gravel trap to give the car a chance to lose some momentum.

I've never done the Dragon before and really wanted to give it a shot... but after NJMP opened up I figured why bother with a road 12 hours away when we have 2 great tracks in our backyard.
Old 02-23-2009 | 06:56 AM
Gold Member (Premium)

Originally Posted by GinoGT,Feb 23 2009, 10:17 AM
You need to be extremely brave, or extremely stupid to start flirting with the limits on the street. Especially with a road like that. Drop-offs, ditches on the side of the road... there's no margin for error. At least if you get in over your head at the track you'll (usually) have at least a nice patch of grass or gravel trap to give the car a chance to lose some momentum.

I've never done the Dragon before and really wanted to give it a shot... but after NJMP opened up I figured why bother with a road 12 hours away when we have 2 great tracks in our backyard.
I agree as well. Overtaking on a twisty road is either, bravery or stupidity with no margin for error. Judging by the corner that the s2k overtook on, it wasn't a blind corner and seemed to have plenty of room to over take. Would I do that personally? Probably not, but it depends.... 95% of the time, I tell myself, 'ahh! there was an opportunity to pass, but here I am still behind this car....'

But as they say, as knowledge increases, confidence decreases. It's usually the completely ignorant that think they are supermen.

Quick Reply: How not to drive