Delaware Valley S2000 Members Delaware, Eastern PA (Philly)Southern New Jersey

Got first speeding ticket, any suggestions on how to fight it?....Mike?

Old 01-12-2003, 07:43 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Got first speeding ticket, any suggestions on how to fight it?....Mike?

yeah, almost 4 years and finally got one! 61 in a 35 apprently but I have no idea how he got me because the place where cops hide on campus is in a parking lot on Route 30 and they sit several hundred feet back. I was "clocked", no radar apprently. i was nice, explained that I have 0 accidents, 0 points and 0 vialations of any kind in over 3 years. I wonder if I get fight this........any suggestions??????? -Anthony (aka dumbass)
Old 01-12-2003, 07:47 PM

dude ur 19, just pay up cause thats what i did.
Old 01-12-2003, 07:57 PM

i dont mind the money, it's the points that suck, 3 is a lot. Just wondering if it is common to get some points taken off ect
Old 01-13-2003, 04:11 AM
Former Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Do DMV classes in Philly remove points? That is your first option, second option would be to find a local traffic lawyer that knows the DA and can get your ticket dismissed.
Old 01-13-2003, 09:36 AM

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

Dont count on the him not showing up thing anymore....I was told there is some kind of affidavit written onto the back of the ticket and now the ossifer does not even have to show up anymore.

I do think you should fight it in court, once you have exhausted the knowing someone angle. If you show up and just mention some reason you cant have the points.. assuming you get a judge that woke up on the right side of the cage that morning they will usually remove the points and just let you pay the extortion (oops) ,I mean the tickets fines.

You could always say you have a digital speedometer and it is incredibly accurate!!!! and its impossible that you were going the speed that the officer MANUALLY Time you at!

GOOD LUCK!!!
Old 01-13-2003, 03:29 PM
Member (Premium)

Received 1,000 Likes on 517 Posts

Originally posted by s2000vtec
dude ur 19, just pay up cause thats what i did.
So that makes it the right choice?

Ant'ny - I'm not up on PA laws or proceedings, BUT, I've never gone to traffic court in NY or NJ and not at the least gotten my ticket reduced. You should talk to the prosecutor that day. You should have no problem negotiating a lesser offense, which should get you a fine, and 0 to less than 3 points.

Remember that the locality gets $$ for the ticket/fines and court fees, regardless of points. Those fees/surcharges from points go to the insurance companies (and the state depending on the amount?). I often think that the full amount and points is for the people who are too lazy to sit in traffic court for a few hours. If the prosecutor doesn't offer a plea, at least you can stand in front of the judge and plead your case. (Don't forget to get teary eyed about the dead dog and your Aunt in the hospital).

Traffic school is good too. Check with your insurance company about taking one, which usually is a reduction in points as well. Also- check into one a lawyer and see what they say. Might be worth the bucks to get a professional opinion.

GL
Old 01-13-2003, 07:31 PM
Gold Member (Premium)

Received 31 Likes on 27 Posts

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Heyitsgary
[B]

.... Also- check into one a lawyer and see what they say.
Old 01-14-2003, 08:28 AM
Member (Premium)

Received 1,000 Likes on 517 Posts

I think you're referring to the extra 'one' in the sentence there JeR, not the comment once deciphered? You seem to agree that talking to a lawyer may be beneficial, and even know someone?

As my post indicates, never accept what the officer gives you for a ticket.
Old 01-14-2003, 09:09 AM

I agree with pas2k, 3 points could (and very likely will) come back get me if I get another ticket. I will plead ect, I'll see what happens. Thanks for your help. -Anthony
Old 01-14-2003, 02:42 PM
Gold Member (Premium)

Received 31 Likes on 27 Posts

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Heyitsgary
[B]I think you're referring to the extra 'one' in the sentence there JeR, not the comment once deciphered?

Quick Reply: Got first speeding ticket, any suggestions on how to fight it?....Mike?