Delaware Valley S2000 Members Delaware, Eastern PA (Philly)Southern New Jersey

Driving School???

Old 03-03-2004, 07:05 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Driving School???

Yep, I said driving school. I've had my S for just over a year now and I enjoy it more and more evey day. I'm also starting to drive the car harder as I'm becoming more comfortable with it. This is my first car that can go fast in a straight line AND turn. I've been drag racing for 20 years, I never had to turn!!! If I did I was in BIG trouble

So after all that babble are there any decent AFORDABLE performance driving school's around? I want to learn to drive this car the way I learned to drive my drag car. The right way. I cant afford trial and error
Old 03-04-2004, 03:57 AM

I've done a few schools with PDA at pocono. http://www.pdadrivingschool.com/pages/schedules.htm
Their events are very well organized, professional, and affordable in my experience. There are several other clubs that operate track days at various course on the east coast you can check out too - Car Guys, NASA, and BMWCCA come to mind.

However, one issue is that many track and club insurance policies for events specify that open-air cars (i.e. S2000) must have either a rollbar, rollcage, or a hardtop. So make sure they tell you what their event rules are before you sign up for anything!

Also, I would suggest you come check out some of the Philadelphia region autoX events. Solo2 is a very safe and very inexpensive way to learn at-the-limit car control techniques. http://phillyscca.com/

Andrew
Old 03-04-2004, 05:14 AM
Member (Premium)

Received 1,000 Likes on 517 Posts

John.

There is a NASA event in July(?) at Pocono. I think its $150 or so. I'm planning on attending.

Tom from Metro gave them a good recommendation (check MetroNY for some threads on this).
Old 03-04-2004, 06:24 AM

Cool guy's...Thanks for the info. Gary, that sounds like something I'd be interested in. I'll try to look into it a bit more.
Old 03-05-2004, 06:43 AM
Member (Premium)

Received 1,000 Likes on 517 Posts

OK, I got some word back from one of the Safety Stewards from NASA-Northeast re: S2Ks and rollover protection. Here is a quote:

"NASA-NE's policy regarding OEM rollover protection (such as the one found in the Honda S2000) is that the driver must pass the "broomstick test." A straight object, eg, broomstick, going from the top of the windshield to the top of the roll bar must clear the helmeted driver's head by ". If you are able to pass this requirement (via being short of stature, lowered seat, low racing seat, etc.) you re more than welcome to participate in our HPDE
events.

However, this is our region's rule which supercedes NASA-National's ruling on same subject. NASA-National requires rollover protection like the above if it is an aftermarket rollbar but allows OEM rollbars which don't pass the above "broomstick test". We feel, in part, that this double-standard will lead to confusion for our participants and don't think it is very safe.

Each NASA region has autonomy to augment NASA-Nat's rules as long as they are not in violation of those rules. Thus, other NASA regions might allow you to run with them based soley on NASA-Nat's rule.

We augmented NASA-Nationals rules because of recent events in our region.

If you have any further question or concerns, do not hesitate to contact me."

Regards,
Sonny Tu
NASA-NE Safety Steward

------------------------------

So, anyone with a helmet and a broomstick know the general height of a person that will/will not pass this test? I realize that how you sit, etc... will make a difference, to an extent, but, a 5'2" person will never get near the top of the rollbar, a 6'2" person may never be able to get under it.

Personally, I think we are SOL. I'm looking at some autoX pics from FC, and I see several of us at the top of the hoops. Even with the angle from the hoops to the windshield, this doesn't look good.

Tom - If you're watching, your thoughts/experience with this?
Old 03-05-2004, 09:50 AM

YELO,
If I can make a few suggestions....... I would start autocrossing first. Trust me this is like crack, once you start, it will be all you think about. Once you have had a few autox's in you, you will probably know the breaking point of your tires and have a good feel for your car's suspension. Then move up to a track event. I say this because it is basically the path I have followed, I wouldn't want to take a car I am still making payments on, to a track if I don't know the cars limits. Now I'm not saying you are going to go balls out on a track, at least from what I know the instructor will keep you in line but my point being.....Get all the experience you can but work your way up to the big stuff.
Old 03-05-2004, 10:49 AM

Thanks for that advise. And your right, it probably is a good way to go.
Old 03-05-2004, 01:05 PM

Go to www.scda1.com and come to Watkins Glen in May I went to their event last year and it was awesome. You get a guaranteed 3.5 hours of track time with an instructor and equal time in the classroom.....You would not regret going to one of these.
I plan on being there again this year....hope to see you there
Old 03-09-2004, 12:39 PM

auto crossed for my first time on sunday, defiantly wont be my last!

i would like to go to driving school though, i would def be willing to go on such an outting
Old 03-09-2004, 12:46 PM

You would love it Try and get a bunch of people together to make the event at the Glen.

Quick Reply: Driving School???