Delaware Valley S2000 Members Delaware, Eastern PA (Philly)Southern New Jersey

Diff whine

Old 03-03-2011, 07:07 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Thumbs down Diff whine

My S is an 01 with 60k mi. although i vtec the hell out of it, i've never done burnout/donuts. past few months the diff has just been getting louder and louder. if you don't have the radio on its plainly audible. its not super loud yet but it just slowly gets worse. i've changed the diff oil regularly and used the proper type. do any particular brands make the gears whine more? last time i used pennzoil, before that rt tuning used the brand they have, i forget which one. is this regular wear and im just worried about nothing? or is there an issue possibly i need to watch out for on my model year? any comment suggestions are welcome. feel free to laugh if im just being dumb
Old 03-03-2011, 07:23 AM
Community Organizer

Received 185 Likes on 163 Posts

Did the diff get louder or are you just now listening for it? This is a sports car, are there other cars that you drive or is the S it, meaning, what are you comparing it to? Are you lowered? Is your tire tread getting low?

Just throwing out some things to think about.
Old 03-03-2011, 07:37 AM

Originally Posted by freq
Did the diff get louder or are you just now listening for it? This is a sports car, are there other cars that you drive or is the S it, meaning, what are you comparing it to? Are you lowered? Is your tire tread getting low?

Just throwing out some things to think about.

it definitely has appeared since i've bought the car stock with 23k mi 3 years ago. there was no noise then. i have lowered the car for about a year and a half now on BC coilovers/struts. this was about the same time i put my greddy exhaust on. after i took my exhaust off late last year and put it back to stock, was when i noticed it. im assuming i didnt hear it develop from the start since my exhaust was loud as hell. does lowering the car affect diff wear? this is something i wasn't aware of. the whine increases the faster i go and continues even when rolling down a hill in neutral, so im assuming its the diff since its definitely coming from the back of the car. from what i've searched on this forum it sounds like something bad is going to happen eventually
Old 03-04-2011, 01:38 PM

also would like to add i drove around in circles today for a few minutes to see if there was any popping or other irregular noises coming from the diff, nothing that i could hear. also, last time i changed diff oil there was no metal on the plug. its due again soon so i'll have to check again, since its much louder than last time it was changed.
Old 03-05-2011, 10:39 AM

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

talk to puddy! hes the master!!
Old 03-05-2011, 12:36 PM

Originally Posted by s2cho
talk to puddy! hes the master!!
thanks man, whats his exact screename?
Old 03-06-2011, 07:54 PM
Former Moderator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This is the only diff fluid I have ever used...

http://hardtopguy.com/store/product....6&bestseller=Y

When you've changed the fluid, have you noticed metal fragments on the drain bolt magnet?
Old 03-07-2011, 04:18 AM
Community Organizer

Received 185 Likes on 163 Posts

Originally Posted by coreyGPW
thanks man, whats his exact screename?
puddymod?
Old 03-08-2011, 10:42 AM

frank - thanks for the link, it says they stopped selling it now though, but then they give a link to the amsoil version, which i've been wanting to try anyway. im running pennzoil right now which they sold me at the honda dealer. there was no metal on the plug the last i changed the diff oil (about 4k ago), but the whine has gotten much louder since then so I intend to change it a bit early just to see if there is anything going on.

freq - thanks i will see if i can find him
Old 03-10-2011, 05:52 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i have an extra diff if ur lookin to build one

Quick Reply: Diff whine