Delaware Valley S2000 Members Delaware, Eastern PA (Philly)Southern New Jersey

Deer + Car = Bad Mix

Old 11-07-2004, 07:25 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Deer + Car = Bad Mix

This was my first encounter with a deer on the road. I have always seen them in the woods and what not but here goes...
Driving home from seeing "The Incredibles" and chatting with my friend about the movie. I turn onto a road, 2 lane a bit narrow with housing and woods on both sides(no shoulder) with a 45mph. I'm doing 50-55. All of a sudden, I see something in the middle of the road. OH SHIT ITS a F***IN DEER (my exact thoughts). I hit the brakes and honk at it. The deer is standing on the yellow lines with its body parallel to the lines. I honked at it thinking it would get scared and move away. Yes it does get scared but what direction does it move, right at me. I was like f*** and moved as far to the right and went a lil off road. That thing was literally 2 inches from hitting my door. It wound up running off the other direction. I pulled aside, no damage to my friends car (IS300 which I was driving).

One thing I learned, even with HIDs you will not see a deer until the last second. I must have seen it when it was about 30-40, 50ft at most away. Either do your best to completely stop or swerve like the whole lane is a huge pothole. I realize now that if I had been in my dad's car (Accord), I would have hit the deer head on or the deer would have rammed my door. Pretty glad I made it home safe!
Old 11-08-2004, 04:21 AM

Deer are nothing! Come back when you have a horse problem.
Old 11-08-2004, 07:34 AM
Community Organizer

Received 185 Likes on 163 Posts
Question

Originally Posted by Wrx Paul,Nov 8 2004, 09:21 AM
Deer are nothing! Come back when you have a horse problem.
Been an passenger in a car (Mustang 5.0 no less) that had a horse incident.
Old 11-08-2004, 09:21 AM

horse = me shitting in my pants
Old 11-08-2004, 11:57 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That was close. My friend had a deer run into the side of his truck while he was doing 40.
Old 11-08-2004, 12:37 PM

Glad to hear you avoided bambi I have been told this (TRY AT YOUR OWN RISK ) If you are faced with a deer in the road and you think (Or Know) you are going to hit it head on....Turn out your headlamps and PRAY! I've been told this works, because they will not just sit there and stare into your headlights.
Old 11-08-2004, 01:36 PM

You got lucky. I slammed a deer going pretty fast. That was not fun. HIt my front right side, rolled up my hood, smacked my windshield and flew over my car. I'll post a link to the pic of the car a little later.
Old 11-08-2004, 06:21 PM

Originally Posted by YELOSCREAMER,Nov 8 2004, 04:37 PM
Glad to hear you avoided bambi I have been told this (TRY AT YOUR OWN RISK ) If you are faced with a deer in the road and you think (Or Know) you are going to hit it head on....Turn out your headlamps and PRAY! I've been told this works, because they will not just sit there and stare into your headlights.
I swear that once i honked, that thing just stared at me. I was thinking that if i didn't honk i would have drove right by it but i didn't wanna take the chance, especially since it was not my car.
Old 11-08-2004, 06:25 PM

I hit one on my street going about thirty, he just "bounced" off and kept going! I was not so lucky, have about $1800 worth of damage!

-Steve
Old 11-08-2004, 07:15 PM

I HATE DEER!

That's what a deer will do to your car. 11k in damage and 2 months later, I got the car back .

Quick Reply: Deer + Car = Bad Mix