Delaware Valley S2000 Members Delaware, Eastern PA (Philly)Southern New Jersey

cracked windshield today

Old 03-13-2003, 10:26 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default cracked windshield today

Hi Everyone,
I had a lovely truck shoot up a rock and pop me right on the rearview mirror portion of the front windshield. It has already formed a crack in the shape of a "U" about 3 to 4 inches in total length. I called my insurance company to see if this is covered in anyway. They stated that because I have a $500 deductible, I would most likely be responsible for the replacement of the window. I have been reading on some of the other threads the prices for replacement, and of course they are right around that $500 mark. There are two questions I have concerning getting this fixed.

1. Can the window simply be repaired ( not replaced ) since it is still small up to this point and in an inconspicuous location ?

2. If I have to get it replaced out of my pocket, does anyone know of a good place in the philly area ?

Thanks
Old 03-13-2003, 12:33 PM

Received 789 Likes on 477 Posts

From what I understand, you need to get it replaced; but it should fall under your comprehensive coverage which is usually half the amount of your normal deductable and doesn't usually cause rates to raise.
Old 03-13-2003, 01:12 PM

I just took another look at the crack and it doesn't look like it formed due to a rock hitting it. There is no mark or indentation from any rock. It seems like it is just a stress fracture from movement of the rearview mirror. I just noticed it because I heard a rock hit the car this morning and assumed that was the cause. It seems as though this is not from a rock. Should I just take it to the dealer ?
Old 03-13-2003, 01:13 PM

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

Well unfortunately, YES I do have some experience with replacing the windshield, grrrr (long story!).

Michael's Glass, Philadelphia did mine (they come to you!) 215-338-3293

Dont repair it! It needs to be replaced, unfortunately.

Dont even bother with the insurance company, I hate them! They are not set up to help you, they are setup for loss prevention!
Old 03-13-2003, 03:10 PM

I've also had windshield problems, but not in my StooK. I've used Safelite Autoglass. You can find them on the web. On one hand, they are a nationwide name, they come to you and work with just about any insurance company, on the other hand, they usually use whichever repair shop is closest to your location (not always a plus). Anyway, just thought you could use another name.
Old 03-15-2003, 04:24 PM

Here's an update:

We'll I took it up to the dealer on Friday and the service manager took a look at the crack. He agreed that it was not from a rock. He said that he had never seen a crack form like that before. I'll be bringing the car there Thursday when their glass guy is there for them to put a new windshield on the car.
Old 03-15-2003, 08:03 PM

Originally posted by traderboy
Here's an update:

We'll I took it up to the dealer on Friday and the service manager took a look at the crack. He agreed that it was not from a rock. He said that he had never seen a crack form like that before. I'll be bringing the car there Thursday when their glass guy is there for them to put a new windshield on the car.
Old 03-21-2003, 06:55 AM

Here's the final update on the window replacement. Took it up to the dealer yesterday and they replaced. It poured all day, so it was definately a good day to have it completed and make sure there weren't any leaks. Not only does the windshield seem to be completed with great care ( no loose parts or shavings in the car, couldn't even tell that it was just replaced other than the smell which should subside ); they did something completely unexpected. My state inspection was up in April. Noticing this, they ran the inspections for me ( both emissions and safety ) without charge and issued new stickers. Saved me about $75 dollars. They apologized that the windshield was faulty and thanked me for my service. Keep in mind that I did not even buy the car from their dealership. All said and done I was extremely satisfied with the customer service displayed and would like to say Kudos to Conicelli Honda Service dept. and Service Manager Frank Boyle.
Old 03-21-2003, 07:04 AM

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

WOW Great news!!! Nice to hear a GOOD story about a Honda dealership!
Old 03-21-2003, 08:32 AM

Great deal. That is sweet! They do look for an impact site. Girlfriend just had to replace windsheild on her 2003 Accord. $500. Didn't have $100 deductible comprehensive. Fellow S2000 owners. Make sure you have comprehensive. For pennies a month, this will replace your windsheild for $100 if need be. S--t happens! Make sure you don't slam the door or shut it hard without cracking windows if your top is up. May dislodge the windshield if it hasn't set.