Delaware Valley S2000 Members Delaware, Eastern PA (Philly)Southern New Jersey

Buying a house, need advice.

Old 11-27-2006, 04:40 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

ROOMS FOR RENT..........
Old 11-28-2006, 04:55 AM

How about we try... HOUSE FOR SALE!!

Went out again this past weekend and looked at another 5 houses, the only one that was nice didn't have the sq footage listed. So when I got home I calculated the total myself and wouldn't you know it was less than 1200 sq ft. And my wife argued when I said that I thought it "felt" small, that's hardly any bigger than our apartment!

Oh well, we've got another 7 or so to look at this weekend as well. Unfortunately although we have until mid-march to move out, I just realized I'll be on crutches for 6 weeks starting the end of december (knee surgery) so it would be ideal to find a house before then so that I don't have to hop through all the houses.
Old 11-28-2006, 09:28 AM

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by AssassinJN,Nov 28 2006, 08:55 AM
How about we try... HOUSE FOR SALE!!

Went out again this past weekend and looked at another 5 houses, the only one that was nice didn't have the sq footage listed. So when I got home I calculated the total myself and wouldn't you know it was less than 1200 sq ft. And my wife argued when I said that I thought it "felt" small, that's hardly any bigger than our apartment!

Oh well, we've got another 7 or so to look at this weekend as well. Unfortunately although we have until mid-march to move out, I just realized I'll be on crutches for 6 weeks starting the end of december (knee surgery) so it would be ideal to find a house before then so that I don't have to hop through all the houses.
Only look at houses that meet ALL of your requirements. Realtors will cart you around to any they can.....be steadfast and demand better service. Call the shots in which houses they show to you. If the relator give you flak and says "oh but this one is nice" just tell them thats ok I will find another realtor.
Old 11-28-2006, 12:40 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i'm avali. to help you out with the house hunt if you need someone.

even if you just want to run some questions by me i'd be happy to help an s2ki member out.

good luck!
Old 11-29-2006, 04:26 AM

Thanks for the offer avali, but we actually have a really nice realtor who hasn't been pushy at all. Usually she sends us all the information she finds about houses that fit our criteria, then we go see only the ones that we send back to her that we want to see. So far she has been very good about not pushing us into anything we don't want, and has even talked us away from a house that we had liked, that someone else put a bid on that was a good bit more then what the house was worth.

Thanks for all the help guys, I'll give an update this weekend as to if we've found anything!
Old 11-30-2006, 08:52 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Have you been pre approved? Do you know how much house you can really afford? Rates are really good right now so I would say buy now. The difference in waiting for prices to drop over the next year probably won't offset the difference in intrest that you'll pay at a higher rate. As for paying PMI there are many different ways around that. You could actually purchase a house with no money down and no out of pocket closing costs. Another thing is do you really know what type of mortgage you want? There are ARM's, Option ARM's, 15yr, 20yr, 30yr, 40yr and even 50yr fixed available. If you want you can always call me or shoot me a PM to talk about financing. I'll give you a sweet deal for a fellow S2KI member. My work number is 631-881-9531.

Dave
Old 11-30-2006, 11:17 AM

just be careful of those arm loans.... and those 50 fixed....

80/20 loans are great because you get a fixed rate and then can refinance refiance before the arm comes into play. this lets you pay 80% at a fixed rate the last 20% is an arm, but thats when you refi..... plus usually there are no pre payment penalties....this way you can keep your down money.... in this market you can keep your down money and ask for a 3% seller assist and hardly pay anything!
Old 12-01-2006, 04:19 AM

I am pre-approved, and have looked at a number of options (all of which will avoid the PMI with 0% down and option of 3% seller assist). Getting the mortgage is actually no problem for us as we both have excellent credit. It's just the amount of monthly payments that is limiting us on our house selection.

As far as options we have looked at just about everything. 80/20, interest only, arm, fixed, 40, 50 etc.. Right now we are leaning towards a 40 year arm with an interest only option locked at a low rate for the first 5 years as we figure we will be moving out of the house within that time frame. This way the amount a month we HAVE to pay is lower, and anything we have left over at the end of the month can be applied to the principle.

Dave I'll be calling you later today, but I want an Inline turbo kit out of this deal as well

Mustang is that your R1 that your selling if you were selling that 3 months ago I wouldn't have an S today... Then again I wouldn't have seen that in your profile then either
Old 12-01-2006, 04:41 AM

haha... yeah i just sold it on ebay actually. i go threw cars like candy threw a fat kid.... i've had 18 and i'm 24....

please please make sure you do apply to principle... i have seen people buy a house that they really afford, but could if they only pay the intrest... then when they want to sell, they can't afford to! then they are stuck...

this can esp. be true now that your house isn't gonna be worth more every day like it was the last 3 years....

good luck and like i said, if you have any questions please feel free to ask.
Old 12-01-2006, 06:28 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by mustangkiller01,Dec 1 2006, 08:41 AM
please please make sure you do apply to principle... i have seen people buy a house that they really afford, but could if they only pay the intrest... then when they want to sell, they can't afford to! then they are stuck...

this can esp. be true now that your house isn't gonna be worth more every day like it was the last 3 years....

good luck and like i said, if you have any questions please feel free to ask.
To many people in the last few years have bought their homes with 100% financing and sellers concessions and now when they want to refi out of their ARM's they can't. Because the house doesn't appraise for what they owe. (Due to a soft market) I would check the market trend for the area you are looking to buy in to see what sales have done. But if you

Quick Reply: Buying a house, need advice.