Delaware Valley S2000 Members Delaware, Eastern PA (Philly)Southern New Jersey

Blown motor

Old 01-31-2006, 05:45 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Blown motor

So ill post the hole story.

I've got an 01 s2000. Its motor is blown as a result of hydrolock ( last 15 miles of a return trip from miami...awsome ).
The plan from there originally was to send the car to exotic customs in West Chester PA. They were going to pull my V2, my ems, and my motor. To replace with a spoon ecu, intake and motor from opak (from spoon, just saw three warehouses on the way).
That plan however shifted after posting a thread in under the hood requesting more information on the motor itself. Even tho the motor itself is a thing of honda legend, finding hard numbers and information on its contents, is somewhat of a struggle. Eventually i figured out that it wasn't really worth the money. Its a great motor just more indurance and competition racing, not street and quartermile.
Now i'm at a fork in the road. I can send the motor to a shop, once i find one i like who can get a motor. Or I can pull my block and head. Send them to laskey racing to be rebuilt. Drop them back in along with a turbo and some other improvements (injectors, straight pipe etc.) Than i would have to have it tuned.

So now finally to the point of this thread. I've got an 01 S with a blown motor. i'm in philadelphia. Long and the short of it i wana go fast and look good doing it. Assuming i haven't sent a budget in stone, any ideas? Any information will help me.

Anyways thanks.. paul
Old 02-01-2006, 06:11 AM

A Hydrolocked engine would typically be covered by your auto insurance under the Comprehensive part of your auto policy. Are you filing an insurance claim on this or paying to fix this out of pocket? Given the cost to replace/rebuild the motor, I think it would make sense to just go through the insurance and have it all done to stock spec at a Honda dealer.

Andrew
Old 02-01-2006, 10:37 AM

That would make sence. I know this tho scott honda wont even touch the car unless i convert it back to stock. Drop the ems and the eugo. Swap the exhust and the the straight pipe. Stock fuel rail bla bla bla etc. And that may indeed end up being the way to go but dealerships are unneccassarily expensive. And as far as insurance goess... my record is awsome, the fact that i even have a license is amazing to me. Im going to try and keep away from the insurance company as much as possible
Old 02-01-2006, 09:13 PM

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by aklucsarits,Feb 1 2006, 10:11 AM
A Hydrolocked engine would typically be covered by your auto insurance under the Comprehensive part of your auto policy. Are you filing an insurance claim on this or paying to fix this out of pocket? Given the cost to replace/rebuild the motor, I think it would make sense to just go through the insurance and have it all done to stock spec at a Honda dealer.

Andrew
Just curious, wouldn't any insurance company investigate an engine failure like this one? I mean even if you put the stock air box back in and THEN called them with a hydrolocked motor... I just think they'd wanna know more or at the least deny the claim due to practical impossibility (unless you drove the car into a lake).

Am I naive?
Old 02-02-2006, 04:00 AM

Hydrolocked engines happen all the time in flood-prone areas. People mis-judge the depth of water on th road and just drive in. I don't think it would make any difference in the insurance claim or repair if you had some aftermarket intake on there. You could have hydrolocked a totally stock car just as easily. But if it makes you feel better, just put the stock one back on.

Andrew
Old 02-02-2006, 04:04 AM

Originally Posted by spinmasterext,Feb 1 2006, 02:37 PM
That would make sence. I know this tho scott honda wont even touch the car unless i convert it back to stock. Drop the ems and the eugo. Swap the exhust and the the straight pipe. Stock fuel rail bla bla bla etc. And that may indeed end up being the way to go but dealerships are unneccassarily expensive. And as far as insurance goess... my record is awsome, the fact that i even have a license is amazing to me. Im going to try and keep away from the insurance company as much as possible
I don't understand why you think the dealer would care that you have mods on your car. It's not like you are going in for Honda warranty work. The insurance company would be paying the service bill, not Honda. The dealer would probably recommend a new short-block and maybe a new head too if that looks like it's damaged as well.

Andrew