Delaware Valley S2000 Members Delaware, Eastern PA (Philly)Southern New Jersey

Anybody have experience with HVLP Spray guns?

Old 02-04-2013, 09:34 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Anybody have experience with HVLP Spray guns?

I just purchased an air compressor a couple of months back to make my life in the garage a little easier. So far it has been awesome, impact guns to take off wheels, air ratchet wrenches to unscrew bolts, I am considering get an airbag lift for the car to save me some time for jacking ext, ext.

I consider myself a pretty decent do it yourselfer but when it comes to body work I am completely clueless. I am considering purchasing a spray gun just to mess around with and get a little experience with paint. Know any good brands/models? Any pointers? Anybody want to teach me how to paint?
Old 02-07-2013, 09:53 AM

Guess not....
Old 02-07-2013, 09:58 AM

Originally Posted by pa9k
Guess not....
Well at least someone read my thread. Have you looked into getting one?
Old 02-07-2013, 10:33 AM

No sir have not, gotta get a garage first. Although my dad used to paint cars, I doubt he would be much help seeing as he hasnt done that in probably 20 years or better. If your just looking for something to teach yourself with Id say just get what your budget will allow. I know that doesnt rly help, but thats all I got.
Old 02-08-2013, 02:15 AM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

http://www.eastwood.com/

This place sells painting supplies.

Keep in mind, paint booths have fans and air filters to keep mist from going everywhere especially when you open the doors back up.
Prep is a big key, especially properly masking off areas you do not want paint/new paint on.

How big is your compressor? You want one with a good size tank so you don't have to wait to long between tank fills to keep painting so you don't have a lot of excess time between spayings.

Multiple coats are key. Choosing the right color primer for the paint depending on the color.
Lots of types of paints, clears, primers, pearl, metal flake, etc.

I believe gravity fed guns are a good choice, but don't quote me on that.

If it's in your budget, maybe a car for $500 to $1000 to practice on, or some scrap panels from a junk yard.

Sanding and more sanding, and wet sanding. Compounding/buffing to get sanding marks out and smooth down the finish.
Proper protection clothing/equipment for yourself as well.

I personally have never painted on cars, but some experience in the detailing world. Hope this helps.
Old 02-08-2013, 05:43 AM

Originally Posted by pa9k
No sir have not, gotta get a garage first. Although my dad used to paint cars, I doubt he would be much help seeing as he hasnt done that in probably 20 years or better. If your just looking for something to teach yourself with Id say just get what your budget will allow. I know that doesnt rly help, but thats all I got.
Thanks for the input anyway. I am sure you will get a garage one day soon

Originally Posted by slanguage
http://www.eastwood.com/

This place sells painting supplies.

Keep in mind, paint booths have fans and air filters to keep mist from going everywhere especially when you open the doors back up.
Prep is a big key, especially properly masking off areas you do not want paint/new paint on.

How big is your compressor? You want one with a good size tank so you don't have to wait to long between tank fills to keep painting so you don't have a lot of excess time between spayings.

Multiple coats are key. Choosing the right color primer for the paint depending on the color.
Lots of types of paints, clears, primers, pearl, metal flake, etc.

I believe gravity fed guns are a good choice, but don't quote me on that.

If it's in your budget, maybe a car for $500 to $1000 to practice on, or some scrap panels from a junk yard.

Sanding and more sanding, and wet sanding. Compounding/buffing to get sanding marks out and smooth down the finish.
Proper protection clothing/equipment for yourself as well.

I personally have never painted on cars, but some experience in the detailing world. Hope this helps.
I have a 20 gallon tank by north star, the motor moves a lot of air I haven't had an issue with a pressure drop yet.

Getting a panel and practicing on it is actually a really good idea. I may do that just to get the hang of it. Not sure about a whole car, $500 to practice painting seems like it is going to stretch my budget. If I find a car for 100-200 bucks I will certainly practice on that.

What is the right pressure for a gun? Do you know or do you just go by feel?

Thanks for all of the help, all the info has been really useful.
Old 02-08-2013, 09:10 AM

See what the compressor puts out and see what the guns can handle would be my suggestion
Old 02-08-2013, 09:26 AM

I think it is 1.5 gallons or liters a minute.

I look into it, but online they don't really give you too much detail on the specs of the gun, or maybe I am not looking in the right place.
Old 02-08-2013, 10:46 AM

Almost forgot. If your compressor sits in the same spot, wall mount a double filter setup and run a hard line from the compressor to that and then hook up the hose after the filters. This will remove any oil and excess moisture in the air going to the gun, because you sure as hell dont want that mixing with the paint.

You could put in a spliter with a valve to toggle with it and bypass the filters for pnuematic tools if you want as well.

Pm me links to the guns you are looking at and a link for the compressor if possible and ill see what I can find out for you this weekend as far as psi is concerned.

P.s. Much sure you drain the tank after each use as well (after you are done for the day). Keeps moisture from building up in the tank as well.
Old 02-08-2013, 11:43 AM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Don't forget lots of plastic rolls (to cover walls etc) plus ventilation, mask, suit etc. While you're not going to pass out right away or anything, all those paint fumes really do some damage over time.

Alternatively, I wonder what kind quality you could get from a wide airbrush nozzle? That way you could go without a lot of the extra stuff but would be limited to a panel at a time (no good for full car painting).

Quick Reply: Anybody have experience with HVLP Spray guns?