The Corner House of Whores and Monkeys. Enter for Fun & Shenanigans! We're weird here. In the most awesome way possible.

I just........................

Old 09-15-2024, 02:50 AM

Received 3,784 Likes on 2,667 Posts

Originally Posted by zdave87
I just learned not to spread the word.
I just worry that people don't think of me as a nice guy, everyone knows I am a grumpy miserable guy lol j/k

Last edited by zeroptzero; 09-15-2024 at 04:04 AM.
The following users liked this post:
vtecmom (09-19-2024)
Old 09-19-2024, 07:38 AM
Gold Member (Premium)

Received 1,708 Likes on 1,439 Posts

Originally Posted by zeroptzero
I just took a few minutes of my time to help a few strangers. I hope it made a difference.

A few months ago my wife and I won an electric vehicle in a contest that was being held by Tim Hortons. For those who don't know some Canadiana info, it is the "Roll Up The Rim" contest at Tim Hortons Canada locations. Canadians go crazy when the roll up the rim contests are held each year. I was fortunate enough to roll up a winning vehicle on my coffee purchase during one visit to my local Tim Hortons, which is located about 1km from my home.

A few months after the purchase Tim Hortons Canada and VW Canada asked me to a PR event at the local Tim Hortons coffee shop by my house, where I won the vehicle. I agreed to do so. While I was there I met some of the employees from the coffee shop and the manager of the shop etc. I told them at the time that I would like to return and bring some kind of gifts to the employees. We all know Tims jobs are not the best paying jobs, and I told the manager of the shop that their shop was one of the best that I have visited in the region and their employees were always great to deal with. I do visit shops all over the area and the one by my home always has the best service, so I wasn't lying.

Today I went through the drive-thru and the employees in the drive thru window recognized me as the winner of the vehicle. I asked them how many employees were working today, and one of the workers said there would be eight of them. I returned a few minutes later with 8 sealed envelopes that had $50.00 in each envelope. I went inside the shop and quietly asked the supervisor to give one envelope to each employee. I told her that I was the winner of the vehicle and I had promised to return with gifts for the workers of the shop. I waved goodbye and I proceeded to leave without making a scene or saying any more than that, I wanted it to be a low key visit. I could hear them getting excited in the back of the coffee shop as the envelopes were being handed out and I was heading out the door. I got into the car with my wife and drove away right away. There was one young girl emptying the garbage cans outside of the shop as were leaving, I felt good that she might get a little perk after she went back inside and picked up her envelope.

I hope that I made their day a little better, I am a very reserved, quiet , humble person, so I didn't want to make a spectacle out of it or make it seem like I was giving handouts. There is a mix of older women and students working there, all female, earning minimum wage. I gave out $400.00 in total today. I debated if I should have put $100 in each envelope but we went with $50.00 not knowing how many people work there. I took more envelopes but it turned out there were eight people working there so we gave out 8 envelopes. Picture of the coffee shop and my PR event below.

The following users liked this post:
zeroptzero (09-19-2024)
Old 09-20-2024, 08:58 AM
Member (Premium)

Received 1,166 Likes on 1,084 Posts

I just want to say that we needs more acts of kindness like that in today’s world.
Old 09-20-2024, 01:40 PM

Originally Posted by shareall
I just want to say that we needs more acts of kindness like that in today’s world.
Thank you , I tend to agree with that
Old Today, 09:16 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

That is a really nice thing to do. I'm sure it made most of their days. Not just the amount but the fact that someone was kind enough to make the gesture. It reminds me of the time this last year my wife and I went to Eureka Springs Arkansas with my friend and his wife. We went to the ThorncrownTemple church since it is a beautiful place to visit. It was just the four of us and a young couple sitting there enjoying the beauty and peacefulness. When we left my friend stayed for a few min longer and talked to the couple. He had just won $500 cash on a scratch off ticket a few days before and gave it all to them. He told me he just felt moved to do it and so he did. They both began crying and told him how much it meant to them as they were struggling financially at the moment.

Anyway, just like others have said, it would be great if more people did things like this when they have the means to do so. It can literally help people when they most need it or just make their day.
Old Today, 01:39 PM

Originally Posted by Elscooby
That is a really nice thing to do. I'm sure it made most of their days. Not just the amount but the fact that someone was kind enough to make the gesture. It reminds me of the time this last year my wife and I went to Eureka Springs Arkansas with my friend and his wife. We went to the ThorncrownTemple church since it is a beautiful place to visit. It was just the four of us and a young couple sitting there enjoying the beauty and peacefulness. When we left my friend stayed for a few min longer and talked to the couple. He had just won $500 cash on a scratch off ticket a few days before and gave it all to them. He told me he just felt moved to do it and so he did. They both began crying and told him how much it meant to them as they were struggling financially at the moment.

Anyway, just like others have said, it would be great if more people did things like this when they have the means to do so. It can literally help people when they most need it or just make their day.
Thank you for the kind words, that is a great story of your friend, when you find people who benefit from any assistance you can make it really makes you feel good.

I was in Cuba in August on vacation, and the people in that country are in dire need of money, medicine, children school supplies, clothing, hygiene products, suntan lotion, and basic consumer products. We took a suit case supply of everything with us to donate once we got there, and boy do they ever appreciate the gifts. On my last day I heard the lansdscapers working outside our room trimming the grass. They tend to be the lowest paid employees on the resorts and they almost never get tips (unlike waiters and bartenders and butlers etc). I ran outside quickly and gave the two guys $20.00 each, which is more than one month's salary for them. I asked one guy if he would like a Toronto Maple Leafs hat (it was brand new never used) , as I take a handful of sports hats and jerseys with me to give away. When I gave the hat to the landscaper he screamed loudly - Jesus Christ ! , it was like he won the lottery, lol. It really touched me that they could be so happy with something we just see as an everyday item. They had smiles from ear to ear, it felt so good. I wish I had more to give them. That week we gave out about $300 in tips and $200 in good, which equaled the monthly wages for 30 people. We did some good.