The Corner House of Whores and Monkeys. Enter for Fun & Shenanigans! We're weird here. In the most awesome way possible.

I almost just killed a person...

Old 11-10-2003 | 11:01 PM

Received 72 Likes on 61 Posts

I'm glad you didn't kill anyone.

we have this problem in LA too. And the police comissioner has been on the radio telling people (pedestrians) to stop being stupid and running into traffic, cuz their gonna die. I think it was something like 80 people killed last year for this kind of thing. Sad, but so stupid. Stay on the sidewalk, you can't win against a car. You wouldn't run out in front of Mike Tyson........
Old 11-11-2003 | 06:27 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Stupid people.
Old 11-11-2003 | 06:42 AM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by wicky
I'm glad you didn't kill anyone.
we have this problem in LA too.
Old 11-12-2003 | 07:22 PM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

That's a wild story Ninh!

Glad all turned out well. I'm sure you're okay by now though.

BTW... I would imagine this thread also helped your PPD.
Old 11-12-2003 | 08:26 PM

some people are just so stupid

"hey lets go play a game of who can get hit by the car first!"
Old 11-13-2003 | 01:02 PM

Originally posted by YeloS2000ShowGrl
some people are just so stupid
"hey lets go play a game of who can get hit by the car first!"
Who invented that game! I'm glad I never heard about it growing up cause I ruled at all games when I was little
Old 11-13-2003 | 03:12 PM

Ninh, down here in Houston, nobody walks - everybody drives. Every body has their own car (if not two or three), and nothing is within walking distance. (Even my mailbox is a hike!) Anyway, us Houston folks, since we're not used to it, don't really watch for pedestrians, especially not on FM-1960.

So, I'm driving in the slow lane, just cruising at 5 over, with my mom in the passenger seat. I had been distracted by the Mazda dealership on the right - I took my eyes off the road for a few seconds to check out the RX-8s.

Then my mom asks me, "Alex, do you see him?"

I look up, but before I can even open my mouth to ask, "Huh?" I see a man, in all dark clothes (at 10pm) walking in the street! He wasn't even walking in the grass!

I'm about to slam on the brakes, when I look in my left mirror. There was enough for probably my car and a shopping cart, but it was enough for me; the car behind me was following so close he would've surely hit me if I had slammed on the brakes. So I cut the wheel hard to the left, scare the shit out of the car I cut off, and when I try to straighten it out, it gets a little squirrelly - I gathered it up easily though.

But in all honesty, no exaggerations, if my Camaro had a right side-view mirror, I'm positive I would've taken his left arm off. That's how close it was. Hell, I wouldn't be surprised if he had some road rash on his arm from rubbing on my car!

I drove the rest of the way home at about 5 under.
Old 11-13-2003 | 03:17 PM

Originally posted by Roku_F20C
especially to the people on bikes riding on the sidewalks then ride into the street..that is soo illegal (plus they are always against traffic, which is also illegal).

Rufio, I'm not sure how it works on your side of town, but in Texas, bicycles have the same rights (and restrictions) as cars, trucks, and motorcycles. Legally, they can occupy a lane at 25mph, and create 10 miles of traffic. The hobos sometimes are just plain dumb, so they ride against traffic. But most people know better than riding a bike on a road without a shoulder or more than one lane.

Anyway, on a sidenote, also in Texas, wheelchairs are considered (according to DPS) a motor vehicle, so it's illegal to use them on the sidewalk of a street! You're supposed to roll in your wheelchair, down the street itself!
Old 11-13-2003 | 03:32 PM

yeah...if you are riding a bike your have to follow the same rules any vehicle would have to follow...

The funny thing is I have a law suite going on..about something like this that I can't talk about ......
Old 11-13-2003 | 03:45 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Bikes in Tokyo are nuts, they ride on the sidewalk most of the time, but if things get busy they will just swing out into the road without looking ......

And when you are making a turn into a side street you have to watch for cyclists coming down the sidewalk otherwise you are likely to have one come straight into the side of your car !!

Quick Reply: I almost just killed a person...