The Corner House of Whores and Monkeys. Enter for Fun & Shenanigans! We're weird here. In the most awesome way possible.

Goofy Foot or Regular Snowboarder???

Old 11-25-2002 | 07:08 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Goofy Foot or Regular Snowboarder???

Goofy Foot or Regular Snowboarder???

I'm trying to help someone determine whether they are
Goofy Foot or Regular so that they can learn how to Snowboard.

I am guessing that it follows whether you are right or left handed .

ie: I am Right Handed so I keep my right foot forward at a steeper angle (15 Degrees) than my back leg which is almost perpendicular at ( 5 Degrees ) for steering .

I believe goofy footed means right leg forward .

Does anyone know where this term started ?

If anyone has any on line snowboarding info I'd greatly appreciate it.
Old 11-25-2002 | 07:17 AM

As far as I know, it started (for me) during my younger skateboarding days. I too am right-handed, but would lead with my right foot on the skateboard...thus leaving my left foot (weaker foot) behind to push me. This resulted in more control while coasting, but less control whil propelling. My undertanding is that it was common for a skateboarder to use his stronger foot/leg for propulsion, while using the weaker foot/leg for stability.

I also ride a snowboard goofy-footed, but water ski with either foot forward.
Old 11-25-2002 | 09:58 AM

I ride regular (left foot forward) as a right handed person...but, i'm very comfortable using switch style(right foot forward)...
Old 11-25-2002 | 10:07 AM

I ride regular (left foot forward) and am right-handed. It doesn't follow that foot stance is associated with right- or left-handedness.

The best way to tell is either ask the person how they ride (rode) a skateboard, or try to find a skateboard and have them try it. It's pretty natural to figure out which foot wants to lead.

The other way to tell is if you water ski slalom, it will usually be the same foot you put forward for water skiing.

And no, I am not a skateboarder, I just tried it a couple of times (not too well, I might add).

Old 11-25-2002 | 12:40 PM

Goofy footed here too. I think it's just whichever feels the more natural.
Old 11-25-2002 | 09:08 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

There is a way to test ....... (please note that this is NOT a joke !!)

Get the person to stand with their feet shoulder distance apart (don't tell them what you are about to do ....) and then push them reasonably hard in the back so that they stumble forward ..... the foot that they naturally put forward first is their favoured foot and should be the lead foot for snowboarding .....
Old 11-26-2002 | 09:26 AM

And if they fall flat on their face, make them take lessons and don't try to teach them yourself!

(I actually recommend lessons in any event, because it's frustrating to teach someone ...)
Old 11-26-2002 | 10:05 AM

Right handed, regular foot ...
Old 12-01-2002 | 10:37 AM

Actually there is an easier way, but I like the one tokyo_james threw out. Just have the person run and slide across dirt or ice, or even take their shoes off and slide across a floor. The foot that the person puts forward is their natural leading foot. As far as positioning the bindings for a beginner. Make them just shoulder width apart, and point both toes out 15 deg. If the person is young, or a girl, or someone that does not have a whole lot of leg strength, you might want to try the rear foot at 0 deg.
Old 12-01-2002 | 10:38 AM

You can tell Im new to the corner, I could have made that reply like 4 separate posts.

Quick Reply: Goofy Foot or Regular Snowboarder???