Cars for Sale Cars, new and used for sale.
Mark this thread as Sold

Possible eBay fraud?

Old 10-12-2004, 10:46 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Arrow Possible eBay fraud?

Ok, as I've stated in other threads in this forum, I really want an S2k but am going to buy a house instead. But as some sort of moron, I love to tease myself by looking for those "can't pass up" kind of deals. That's when I found what I found yesterday. Two different ads on eBay that had S2k's for $7000 (Yellow 04 with 21k miles) and $6000 for the other one (Black 01 with 31k miles). So I emailed the first guy letting him know that he had a pretty serious typo but got this email instead.

First you have to know bidding is restricted since I am carefull with my auction,so noone will press the button until I have the assurance that he will buy it.

The car is in perfect conditions without any scratches or other mechanical problems.
I will pay the shipping cost and you will pay the money transfer comision.The car is in Europe, Greece and it will be shipped from here on my expence so,please REPLY WITH YOUR NAME AND SHIPPING ADDRESS IN YOUR NEXT EMAIL. The car it has a Clear Title wich you will receive it with the car.It can be registerd into your name.You will get all the papers and recipts that you need for the registration.I bought this car from US but when i tried to register the car in my country they said that i can't register a car that has US emissions.I want to sell it in US because the car is titled there and it can be easy register in any state from United States.Shipping will be done via Samskip and it will take no more then 6 days.I have a friend at fedex who will manage me a low price shipping and I assumed that it is from me to pay for shipping it.When I will shipp it,I will declare it as a gif! t so that you will pay no cusoms when you will receive it and for this it will be delivered directly to your address.Also, I have to let you know that I want a proof that you have all the money availble for this deal as I will ship it in the same day or next day morning ,after you proove to me that you are the real buyer.

The most important thing in all my activity here is that I am affiliated at eBay Square Trade , I have a a purchase protection account for 10000$ and I assume you know what this means.So,the finacial part of this deal will be manage by them.

Buy it now price with shipping taxes included is $7000.
Sounds fishy huh? So I reply asking if the price is real and if it's registered in the US or only in Europe. He replies that the price really is $7000 and it is registered for the US. To good to be true huh?

So then I find the second auction (before receiving the email listed above) for the Berlina 01. That's when I realized "This is probably some scam." So I emailed this person asking if the car is running and why they're selling it. Here's the response.

Thank you for your inquire on my Honda S2000. About the car, it has never been involved in an accident and never been wrecked, it's 100% streetlegal, no salvage titles, no leans, the engine works great, only 31100 miles on it, clean title, so in other words there is no problem with the car at all so stop wondering .The reason i am selling this car is because i have some money and all i need to buy myself a house is 6000 dollars so that is what i am asking for it. I am currently located in the UK and the price of the car will be $6000 . I will ship the car throuhg DAS (Dependable Auto Shippers) and the shipping will take about 5 days or so. This is a GREAT CAR at a GREAT PRICE and a GREAT TRANSACTION too. Do not hesitate to e-mail me back asap so we can talk about the deal . There will first be a deposit of 3000 USD , the car will be shipped at your doorstep and you`ll have 7 days for inspection, after those 7 days are over you`ll pay the re! st. The payment will be made through western union. If you agree with all of this please mail me back asap! THANK YOU AND WILL WAIT FOR YOUR REPLY!
Are you kidding me? Why would someone dump an S2k for that cheap to buy a house when you could get another 10-15k out of it and have a better down payment? Again, sounds like way to good of a deal. I've emailed them both back asking for the VIN's. I figure if one of the two is legit, why not get the deal of a lifetime??

And as I'm typing this here, I go to eBay to find the links for everyone to see and all of a sudden, they're gone from my watch list. So I search for the cheapest price on S2k's and there's still no sign of them. Looks like eBay caught the scam and deleted the auctions.
Old 10-12-2004, 10:58 AM

wow that was quick. I already got one email back with the VIN. Can anyone run it for me? Curious to see what's on it and if this is legit. Thanks.

Edit - I went to carfax.com for their free check and it came back as an 03 Cadillac Escalade. Emailed her back and let her know this. She replied with an actual vin for an 02 S2k. I thought it was an 01 but again, the auction is gone so I can't remember.
Old 10-12-2004, 12:37 PM

I am a born sceptic. In my experience the world around, if it sounds too good to be true, IT IS.

When shopping for my S2k I had a friend who said they knew someone selling a 13k mile MY01 for $13k. I was like . Turns out it had a salvage title and was pretty messed up. Fenders didn't line up at all, water in the headlight housings, etc. Don't get your hopes up for a low dollar S2k unless your willing to be dissapointed.
Old 10-12-2004, 02:44 PM

Overseas shipping for a car in 5-7 days

That boat must haul @ss.
Old 10-12-2004, 02:49 PM

HASHHAHAHAHHA wtf!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 10-12-2004, 05:17 PM

Those are both scams, but if still feel like losing 7 grand I will give you my address

Mike