Cars for Sale Cars, new and used for sale.
Mark this thread as Unsold

FS - VA - '04 NFR, 42k miles

Old 10-31-2021, 12:41 PM

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Default FS: VA - '04 NFR S2000 - 42k miles - $24.5k

First Name: Kevin
Price: (Firm) $24,500
Mileage: 42,590

Details about the Car:

I purchased this car January '21 from the second owner in North Carolina with 41414 mi. The car was originally purchased and kept in Georgia. It was also listed on S2Ki previously and that link is provided here: https://www.s2ki.com/forums/cars-sal...24-5k-1205451/. It currently has 42k and change miles.

The car has 8/10 VINs, missing the rear bumper and rear trunk due to the first owner backing his truck into the S. The car has been garaged and never driven in the rain under my watch. In fact, I was only able to put just over 1000 miles on it during my ownership.

Modifications & Maintenance:
The car is completely stock with the exception of the Billman timing chain tensioner installed earlier this year. Regarding maintenance, upon taking delivery of the car all fluids were changed. Oil, transmission, differential, coolant, brake, and clutch using Pennzoil 10W-30, Honda MTF, Mobil-1 75W-90 gear oil w/ LSD friction modifier, Honda Type 2 Coolant and ATE-200 Super Blue DOT 4 fluids respectively. New NGK spark plugs and cabin air filter were installed along with a valve adjustment. OEM hardware was used where possible including new spark plug tube seals and the valve cover gasket. Receipts and pictures for verification are available. I did repaint the valve and spark plug covers due to some chipping paint and went with a black wrinkle spark plug cover versus the standard gold because I thought it looked better. While I was stripping the paint, I made sure not to use any media blasting. Instead, it was stripped chemically to avoid any debris.

Exterior Condition (7.5-8/10):
The exterior has some imperfections consistent with age. I would rate it at 7.5-8 out of 10 as it sits, but I don't think it would take too much to bring it up to an 8.5 or 9/10. A good PDR, and paint correction would get you there. The body is stock, no rolled or pulled fenders.
  • There are some paint chips in high impact areas and a few (~4) small, dime sized, dents presumably from something like an acorn falling which could be addressed with PDR. I couldn't get a good shot of them, they're tiny.
  • The only “significant” items are a dent in the passenger side rocker panel and door ding at the edge of the driver side door. Nothing structural.
  • Wheels show some curb rash, but are straight and should be straightforward to refinish, or you could swap for new shoes.
  • I noted some corrosion under the battery tray from what I assume was a battery acid leak some years ago. I had planned to purchase a new tray and hardware but haven't gotten around to it yet. Instead, as an interim preventative measure, I removed the affected items, ground down the corrosion with a wire wheel and treated with POR-15.
  • Also included is the factory tonneau cover.
Interior Condition (9.5/10):
The interior is basically immaculate. Leather condition is great, seat bolsters show only minimal compression compared to most cars. The only concern is a CD which is stuck in the original CD changer, and a small hole in the driver side floor mat. The underlying carpet is fine. The radio is still operable in its current state. I also haven't noticed much in the way of rattles. It feels solid while driving it and is better than I anticipated. It's still no grand-tourer, but it's no rattle box either.

Mechanical Condition (9/10):
I would give this particular example an "A" as far as mechanical condition goes given its age. I had a PPI done prior to purchase including a compression test which came back 190psi across all four cylinders. I do not believe there was a Schrader valve at the tip so actual cylinder pressures are probably a touch higher due to the extra hose length. The invoice stating these number is available through the google sheets link below. Though I don't have a ton of miles under my belt, I have heard no clunking, grinding, whining from the engine, transmission, differential or anywhere else for that matter. I did a valve adjustment as part of the new owner checklist and most valves were in-spec, with just a few either slightly tight or loose. This is stated in my maintenance tracking spreadsheet. It runs great, drives straight, and rips on the back roads. Suspension is firm and does not show any indication of leaks from the shocks.
  • Tires are 215/45/17 up front, 245/40/17 rear. Yokohama Advan Sport A/S tires with plenty of tread.
  • Car passed VA state inspection in May of 2021 with no issue.
  • I called the dealership in GA where it was previously serviced (as indicated by the previous owner) to confirm they had record of it. They were able to provide me the last invoice of service they performed around 37k miles and confirmed it had been the prior to that but could no longer access those records due to a change of IT systems some time ago.
Reason for Sale:
Selling only because of a new baby girl who recently arrived. Unfortunately, a congenital defect has forced us to reprioritize our budget and she is much more important than having this as a weekend toy.

Other:
With prices appreciating it’s not my intention to try and make a quick buck. I’m only looking to recoup my purchase price and ensure someone with an equal appreciation for these cars gets a shot at owning one. I'm happy to elaborate on anything if there's additional questions.
  • Clean title.
  • The car currently has a lien through my bank but could be paid off to simplify things, though I’d prefer to work it through them.
  • I have some extra maintenance items I bought pre-emptively to have on hand. I will include the extra OEM oil filter, crush washers, serpentine belt, touch up paint and any other parts I purchased.
  • I've included a link to my maintenance spreadsheet for those curious. The "initial inspection" sheet was created by sifting through the forums, and SavageGeese's YouTube buyers guide to identify important areas of note. I used this as a guide for inspecting and identifying any potential items to address with this particular car and you're welcome to read through it. The "maintenance" section was to be used for documenting all maintenance items. This was planned to be my hobby car so where possible, I performed all maintenance myself. I do have copies of parts receipts and pictures of the parts used are already included for each line item.
Recommendations for the next owner:
  • Finish out the "New Owner Checklist" available here on the forums.
    • Axel nut TSB
    • Alignment
    • Subframe bolt check
  • Modifry soft top straps
  • May need to clean the IACV at some point down the road as part of the new owner checklist.
Photos:
For some reason I'm getting errors uploading the raw picture files using the built-in tool so I've provided, but I can share screen clipped versions for whatever reason. I have a subset here, but you can access the Google Drive link below for more photos, including the VINs, wheels, blemishes, and more. https://drive.google.com/drive/folde...OU?usp=sharing

Last edited by MrSafety; 11-01-2021 at 06:19 AM. Reason: Updated title to include model and price.
The following users liked this post:
ZZ33 (11-01-2021)
Old 11-01-2021, 06:13 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Sorry to hear about the family issues leading to the sale, but you are absolutely right to prioritize. This is a great deal, IMO you would be well within you rights to have asked a small premium over your purchase price as used (and enthusiast) car pricing has significantly risen in the almost 1 year of your ownership. Even if only to cover your expenses such as maintenance, sales tax etc.

GLWS, this will be go quickly. More important is the health of your family, hoping everything works out for you.
jeffreygebhart (11-01-2021)
Old 11-01-2021, 06:35 AM

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by ZZ33
Sorry to hear about the family issues leading to the sale, but you are absolutely right to prioritize. This is a great deal, IMO you would be well within you rights to have asked a small premium over your purchase price as used (and enthusiast) car pricing has significantly risen in the almost 1 year of your ownership. Even if only to cover your expenses such as maintenance, sales tax etc.

GLWS, this will be go quickly. More important is the health of your family, hoping everything works out for you.
Many thanks kind stranger. The S2000 is something I've lusted after for a long, long time. When prices started trending up I, like many, starting thinking it was out of reach. I thought about trying to recoup TTL and what I spent on maintenance but that's not really my style. I don't want to put another one out of reach for someone who really wants a chance at ownership. I'm optimistic that there will be another in my future at some point after the dust settles on some of the personal priorities, but at the moment it's just not in the cards.
ZZ33 (11-02-2021)
Old 11-02-2021, 11:16 AM

Received 28 Likes on 24 Posts

Hello Kevin -- My name is Omar and I am a serious buyer. Please give me call when time permits - I also sent you and email.