Carolinas A Better Place to Be

Zmax autox

Old 04-12-2015, 03:21 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Zmax autox

I stopped by the zmax autox yesterday (April 11) and was really impressed. Saw a few s2ks there but none we're running at the time. They were parked behind and there was a yellow one at the side. I parked in the back with most of them. What a cool experience! I gotta try this some time. Can anyone who dose this in Charlotte walk me through the process? Since I am new to this, I have no idea where to start. I have a car and helmet. That's it.
Old 04-12-2015, 04:43 AM

Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts

For your first event, all you need to do is register and show up. The organizers typically send an event email with all of the details...what time does registration open, the day's schedule, etc. I've found that with rare exception, everyone in the track/auto-x hobby is extremely helpful. One of us will usually be there as well, so we can help.
Old 04-12-2015, 05:12 PM

look in motorsportreg.com. You can enter your zip code and search for local events. For Zmax I prefer to run with Porsche PCA Carolinas since they are very organize and their events runs pretty fast
Old 04-12-2015, 06:02 PM

Received 215 Likes on 148 Posts

One of these weekends I need to get to this and run it; haven't had a free weekend that coincides with the events.

Eye fly, if you show up you should be well taken care of.
Old 04-13-2015, 05:38 AM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

In my opinion, Porsche Club of America (PCA) is a great club to run with if you are already an experienced autocrosser (maybe have 6 events under your belt). You do get more seat time at a PCA event and things move at a quicker pace because of the lower attendance numbers.

CCR-SCCA does a great job with novice and first-time attendees by assigning an instructor for each of your runs, providing several guided course walks geared towards novice drivers, giving a novice driver's meeting to cover rules/regs that novice drivers may not know yet (specifically on working the course), and by giving an extra run during your run group to all novice drivers.

Matt will be at all the CCR events I'm sure. Alex probably will be too in his Laguna Blue '06 running in BS. I'm sure either of those two will be happy to help you out. You can check out CCR's Facebook page. They post all their upcoming events and discussions there. https://www.facebook.com/groups/ccrscca/
Old 04-13-2015, 05:48 AM

First things first, check out ccrscca.proboards.com for local event information. The SOLO -AutoX subforum has all dates, registration links, event schedules, etc. After that, all you have to do is register and show up! We have a fantastic novice program that has novice specific meetings to cover all the basics, instructor led course walks, in-car instruction from an experienced driver, and an extra run. Also, as Insane Sp said, everyone is extremely helpful. You can ask pretty much anyone for assistance and they'll be happy to help.

The next event is April 25th at Black Lake in Laurens SC, which is about 2 hours from Charlotte, and the next Zmax event is May 9th. Hope to see you out there!

Matt

Edit: Andy beat me to it!