Carolinas A Better Place to Be

You know you need new tires when...

Old 05-30-2002, 03:29 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default You know you need new tires when...

A lesson learned...

So I was driving down I-485 when I hit a mother of a rainstorm. I literally hit a wall of water going about 80 when all of a sudden my back end starts to lose grip a begins to weave back and forth. Then I made the critical mistake of letting off the gas too quickly and downshifting (normally not a problem) and at that point I completely lost it and did a very fine 360. Luckily, I was near the end of 485 where its very wide there, and not many cars were around. I like a thrilling ride but this truly scared the bejesus out of me!

But the most humiliating part of this story is, once I recovered and continued on I could only go about 45-50 and then, I was passed by a Miata!

I have been procrastinating in buying a set of rear tires, so, I am off to go tire shopping this weekend. Anyone have any recommendation in the CLT area?
Old 05-30-2002, 03:39 PM

I just ordered new rears from TireRack.com today. After looking at a lot of options I decided to stay with S02's. I'll need a performance tire later this summer and since I'm not replacing the fronts now, I'm going with more of the same.

TireRack has the best price by far! You may find a local dealer in Charlotte that will meet TireRack's price, but I doubt it. They have a list of local dealers they will drop ship to which makes installation really easy. When you order, they will send a confirmation to the dealer and the dealer will call you when they recieve your tires. Installation should be around $16 each.

I"m going to have my fronts rotated when I have my new rears installed. You have to turn them around (put the inside out) when you rotate them because they're directional. This should give longer tread wear and help them last until you go through the new rears.

I figure I'll get 8-9000 miles on the new rears and have about that much left on the fronts. When they're all worn again, I'll get new rims and tires all around.

Good luck!!
Old 05-30-2002, 07:03 PM

Discount Tire over at 485 & Tryon came really close to Tirerack's price (I think like $3 a tire), so I went with them since they got them in 1day and they are really close to the office. Looks like the price on the rears has dropped since I bought mine in April.

They did a great job with the install. The guy I dealt with drives the BMW 850, but I can't remember his name.
Old 05-30-2002, 07:23 PM
Former Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Geez Huskergirl. . . Glad you're alright!

I also just ordered an entire set of tires and really wanted to go with the S-02's again but they were well over $600 for the full set. Not that $600+ is not worth it, I am simply trying to save some cash for some upcoming "things."

I went with the Kumho Ecsta Supras. w1ngman (Dave) in Richmond has these as his rear tires and when I attended the Baltimore meet this past weekend, I did a little test drive with his car!

Suprisingly, they held up very, very well! I was really shocked! They grip very well and if you really push them, then they'll make a little noise but nothing I found to be disturbing.

An entire set only set me back $350. I'm already looking for places to spend the $200 I saved!

My plan is similar to MyBad's. I want to get new rims and tires after this set.
Old 05-30-2002, 07:42 PM

THe guy at my local Just Tires said he would beat Tire Rack's price by 5%. You might try your local one?
Old 05-31-2002, 04:34 AM

Huskergirl:

That rainstorm was pretty serious yesterday. Glad you are okay. Same thing happened to me a couple of months ago (without the 360). I recently bought a set of Toyo's for my rears. I bought them from a site called www.Treadepot.com . They had a great price on the tires I bought, and I had them installed at Auto Solutions in north Charlotte for $11 a tire. They have worked on several S2000's and treat them with a lot of care. I ended up buying Toyo FZ-4's and paid under $200 total for the tires and installation.

Good luck and I hope this helps.
Old 05-31-2002, 09:15 AM

Thanks for the info...

TireRack seems to have the best prices, but since its the weekend, it won't hurt to shop around locally. I'm anxious to see how the local market is priced.