Carolinas A Better Place to Be

XBox on RR

Old 01-29-2002, 05:20 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just had a thought. Those of us on RR and with Xboxes should get set up with the Gamespy Tunnel so we can play Halo, Nascar Heat against each other. I'm hoping to get setup with Gamespy in a couple weeks. We should get pretty damn good connectivity since all the traffic should stay on the RR network.
Old 01-29-2002, 05:33 PM

sounds interesting....how exactly does it work??? I know the xbox has a broadband modem and ethernet connection on it but my xbox is upstairs and my RR downstairs. I would need an extremely long cable.....
Old 01-29-2002, 05:52 PM

funsdead: you might be able to use an apple airport, or run a cable through the walls and what not

you guys are tempting me to go buy an xbox
Old 01-29-2002, 08:01 PM

Yeah, one way or another you gotta get the xbox on your ethernet lan. so yeah, a cable is probably your most reliable bet. basically, you install and configure this Gamespy tunnel on a pc. Your PC, xbox and cable modem are connected to the hub. The Xbox communicates with the PC and the PC talks to the internet over the cable modem. I haven't set it up yet myself so i don't know the details. The gamespy link i posted above has some detailed tutorials. once i do it, i'll post my resuts...
Old 01-29-2002, 09:17 PM

I use Gamespy with Halo and Tony Hawk 2x and it works great on RR!!! That tunnel app is slick.

On a side note, a friend of mine is writing his own tunnel app to get around all the Gamespy advertising crap (you'll see), but he's moving pretty slow right now. It works, but hangs after about a min.
Old 01-29-2002, 09:20 PM

BTW, with the way that Gamespy tunnel app works, you can play whatever game you want once you have everyone connected with the tunnel app. So you could start Halo, then switch to Nascar, etc, no need to go back to your PC.

It just makes it seem like you are all plugged into the same hub, even though you aren't. Xbox is all broadcast based UDP traffic that won't be forwarded across a router normally, so something has to be there to put everyone on a "virtual" network.
Old 01-30-2002, 07:37 AM

silver, any "gotchyas" with the setup to look out for?
Old 01-30-2002, 06:10 PM

not really, just follow the instructions up on the gamespy website.

btw, you don't need to open any ports on your NAT router unless you want to host the tunnel app session.

We'll have to try it out soon. I haven't played xbox in 2weeks though, so probably not soon. Too much crap at work and busy weekends.
Old 01-30-2002, 06:23 PM

Hey, I'm in 2...... i think the linksys has a built in firewall so wouldn't i need to disable it somehow?? I'm gonna look into that gamespy software and see If I can get it workin within the next wk.

I can't wait
Old 01-30-2002, 06:35 PM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by funsdead
[B]Hey, I'm in 2...... i think the linksys has a built in firewall so wouldn't i need to disable it somehow??

Quick Reply: XBox on RR