Carolinas A Better Place to Be

Woo Hoo! I got to chase a tornado

Old 05-15-2006, 07:35 AM
Community Organizer

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

The crazy ones I love to see are the ones that fork into the cloud but are a single bolt to the ground.. I could watch those all day. They are the best at night when you can see them running along the bottom side of the cloud, then coming together and arching to the ground.
Old 05-15-2006, 07:37 AM
Community Organizer

Originally Posted by Dolemike,May 15 2006, 10:35 AM
Frequent isnt the word id use for it... it was constant. My chicken shit friends were all in the center of the house hiding from the windows from the lightning for some reason . But me... I was outside looking up into that swirl.
That would have been me!
Old 05-15-2006, 07:44 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We had a nasty storm come through here last night. I went out with the dog and saw what was some of the most amazing lightening I have ever seen. Super bright and would be from ground to cloud as well as cloud to cloud all in seemly the same burst. I knew something was not right and as the rain started to fall I went inside to turn on the news. Turns out some tornados had been spotted over in that direction and of course it was headed right toward me. I watched as the rotating clouds moved toward my house on the radar and the news guy kept apologizing for interrupting the West Wing and telling everyone their main concern was our safety. The clouds continued to rotate as they moved over my neighborhood (a trailer park as luck would have it ) when they got here on radar I started to hear the very large quarter size hail they had talked about on the TV start to bang against my windows. Being dark outside it did no good to look for anything. Just tried to listen for the trademark sound so I could haul ass to the downstairs half bath which is the only interior room on the first floor of my house. I must say, it was very scarey. I had visions of everything I own being tossed about in the wind. Guitars, computers, my truck, my boat, MY S! Not a good feeling. I thought tornados were a midwest thing. We have had a bunch of tornados touch down in my area in the past month. This sucks...
Old 05-15-2006, 08:00 AM
Community Organizer

Yeah Florence is the same way.. We are up on a plain (160ft elev.), just before the midland dunes. I watched those storms roll through Charleston and figured you may be hunkered down after the I had called you about the tornado I had seen. You guys get water spouts alot.. that would be cool to see for sure. Those were some hellastorms yesterday. Before I went to bed I was watching the ones rolling through New Bern.. wonder how airgate made out last night?
Old 05-15-2006, 08:25 AM

Originally Posted by MulderATO,May 15 2006, 11:00 AM
Yeah Florence is the same way.. We are up on a plain (160ft elev.), just before the midland dunes. I watched those storms roll through Charleston and figured you may be hunkered down after the I had called you about the tornado I had seen. You guys get water spouts alot.. that would be cool to see for sure. Those were some hellastorms yesterday. Before I went to bed I was watching the ones rolling through New Bern.. wonder how airgate made out last night?
I have actually seen a bunch of water spouts in the past although not a single one since I moved down here. I still remain tornadoless, thank goodness...
Old 05-15-2006, 09:11 AM

Originally Posted by MyBad,May 14 2006, 04:59 PM
Well, if you like hurricanes, I've got a job for you!

Its called a Red Cross Governmental Affairs Liason and it means you get to be in your county's Emergency Operations Center during the storm. You'll have real time reports of all the action access to the most sophisticated weather radar, and will coordinate Red Cross activities with Emergency Management officials as they arise.

Are you man enough?
SIGN ME UP!!!

Ok, Josh...I mean Jason...let me get this straight....You will drive your car into an Uncontrollable situation, with debris and god knows what flying around....but you absolutely refuse to drive the dragon at night?!?!?!
Old 05-15-2006, 09:20 AM
Community Organizer

Yes....

I was running on pure adrenaline. I didn't think about my S until I saw the pieces of trailer coming down on me. Thats when I got the duece out of there. This was (thus far) a once in a lifetime thing for me.. I have waited years to see one so all caution was thrown to the wind (no pun intended).
Old 05-15-2006, 09:21 AM

Originally Posted by RWD_HNDA,May 15 2006, 12:11 PM
Ok, Josh...I mean Jason...let me get this straight....You will drive your car into an Uncontrollable situation, with debris and god knows what flying around....but you absolutely refuse to drive the dragon at night?!?!?!

You need to ask JAHumphrey, SC_Highlander, or S2kAwe about our night run at WTD '05 during tornadic weather! Good Times!
Old 05-15-2006, 09:28 AM
Community Organizer

Yeah, i heard you guys had some nasty weather last year.
Old 05-15-2006, 11:45 AM

I was on my way back to Fayetteville, NC from Columbia, SC as I was driving down I-20 a bunch of cars were pulled over when I noticed a guy video taping something in the sky I pulled over also. And saw what seemed to be a funnel cloud this was about 5:45 I pulled over for about 10minutes took a few pictures and videos and headed on about 10 minutes later I got to 95 and that is when all HELL broke loose golf ball sized hell started hitting my pathfinder good thing was there was no damage the hail lasted about 10minutes.

Quick Reply: Woo Hoo! I got to chase a tornado