Carolinas A Better Place to Be

Woo Hoo! I got to chase a tornado

Old 05-14-2006, 06:01 PM
Community Organizer

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Too bad its dark. Some more photos would be great!
Old 05-14-2006, 06:37 PM
Community Organizer

Update... appearantly the debris I saw came from the Glendale, which is one of those nicer mobile home subdivisions.. which now that I think about it, was right where I saw the tornado when it was on the tracks. I have been there before when in college and rememeber one of my friends used to live there during college and we talking about how the tracks ran right along side the subdivision.

Anyway, homes there were distroyed which explains what I saw in the air, and the Red Cross has set up a shelter for them.
Old 05-15-2006, 04:00 AM
Gold Member (Premium)

Received 45 Likes on 37 Posts

We had several tornados in our are last night but the good news is no injuries or major damage.
I have only seen one and I was anxious to get away from it.
I heard one come thru my parents back yard one night. They lived at Isle of Palms SC. It shook the house and sounded like a high speed train. Damn scary stuff.

Good shots Mulder.
Old 05-15-2006, 04:49 AM
Community Organizer

Here are some other's pix from the same storm.. ofcourse I was the closest

Old 05-15-2006, 07:09 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

WOW... I bet that was a good rush. I remember about this time last year I was out at a friends house in Efland. We had a terrible storm... orange lightning bolts (dont seethose much), it looked like a war was going on from all the flashes and strikes occuring. His house sits on 10 acres on top of a hill in BFE... but you can see a LONG was off. Looking over the tree tops a long ways off I could see what appeared to be a spiraling cloud drop a little bit then it recessed. A few minutes later it came closer and dropped even lower. The third time it was directly over the house and it dropped even lower and I could see directly into the core of this sucker. I could see the clouds spiraling around into the form of what was later a tornado that touched down in Raleigh. It was a freakish looking thing to see... Ill never forget it.
Old 05-15-2006, 07:14 AM
Gold Member (Premium)

Received 45 Likes on 37 Posts

That orange lightening is the most dangerous kind. I understand it is positive charged and more likely to set fires.
Old 05-15-2006, 07:26 AM
Community Organizer

It was amazing to see. Microbursts are crazy to experiance.. I'll never forget the two I went through, one in my home town, another while I was on the interstate in Greeneville, SC in 2001 on I26. A strange occurance with lightening is lightening that happens way out ahead of a storm. I witnessed that many years ago.. just a bolt of very bright lightening agains a perfectly clear blue background. That too was freakish.
Old 05-15-2006, 07:29 AM
Community Organizer

The orange huge you see is caused by dust particles. These particles are kicked up into the storm by strong inward winds and updrafts. When these particles begin moving, they create strong positive static charges in the atmosphere, making the atmosphere around and in the storm highly charged... this equates to some very strong and frequent lightening.
Old 05-15-2006, 07:31 AM

Ive only seen the orange lighting a few times in my life... maybe 2-3x for what I can remember. Craziest looking bolts too.
Old 05-15-2006, 07:35 AM

Frequent isnt the word id use for it... it was constant. My chicken shit friends were all in the center of the house hiding from the windows from the lightning for some reason . But me... I was outside looking up into that swirl.

Quick Reply: Woo Hoo! I got to chase a tornado