Carolinas A Better Place to Be

Visiting SC

Old 06-20-2013, 05:00 AM

Received 3,185 Likes on 1,841 Posts
Default Visiting SC

We have family and friends in Murrells Inlet, we plan to visit the area in October. I'm looking for suggestions on where to stay. I've looked into condos at/close to Myrtle Beach (one sister stays there often), and I've looked at the Murrell's Inlet area too. I love Hampton Inns and there is one there but the location is "so so". We aren't beach bums so staying at the beach is not a must, but still, it sounds rather nice.

I'm not sure which are would be a better place to "base" ourselves. Murrells Inlet area or Myrtle Beach

We aren't big fans of hustle and bustle. I like to take , we plan on seeing the gardens at Brookgreen, checking out the marsh walk, Barefoot at the beach and are open to suggestions of other things to see and do, places to eat, etc. We only have five full days in the area, and do plan on spending time with family and friends (most likely later in day or for dinner).

PS We're Vintage, but +1 enjoys trying different beers, and we're not above hanging out in a bar here and again, and we're not gourmets, so suggestions of fancy restaurants aren't what we are looking for.

Oh, we are from the non smoking state of MA, and are non smokers, what can we expect when it comes to smoking/non smoking areas in restaurants?

And yes, we are taking our S2000! 2004 with 71K miles on it....love a road trip in the S!
Old 06-20-2013, 05:18 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

There is a "resort" that is at the very southern part of MB, that I have stayed in several times and have never had an issue. It is the Springmaid Beach Resort, they are oceanfront, have a pier, several restaurants, pools, lazy rivers... clean rooms and friendly staff. We stayed last October and the prices were really good. Quick drive to MI and just about anything you want to do, food, drink...
Old 06-20-2013, 05:21 AM

Received 45 Likes on 37 Posts

You might contact Darlene(Valentine).

She lives in the area and I am sure she could help.

PS.. Passing thru NC you will find all places to eat are non smoking by statute.
Never thought I would see that here in the tobacco capital of the US.
Old 06-20-2013, 05:21 AM

^Thanks!
Old 06-20-2013, 05:43 AM

Originally Posted by batguano
You might contact Darlene(Valentine).

She lives in the area and I am sure she could help.

PS.. Passing thru NC you will find all places to eat are non smoking by statute.
Never thought I would see that here in the tobacco capital of the US.
I am in contact with Darlene. She too gave me a suggestion, which I appreciated. She's on the list of people I hope to see! Not sure which bars she hangs out in though. and looking for more info on things to do in MB.
Old 06-20-2013, 09:52 AM
mlc

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We have stayed several times further south in Pawley's Island and enjoyed it. Here is where we stayed http://www.litchfieldbeach.com/
Old 06-20-2013, 11:13 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If you like Italian food make sure you try Villa Romana in MB. Dino's is the best breakfast diner we've found down there. It's good, but not an absolute MUST like Villa Romana is.

Aside from those two restaurants, Myrtle Beach is a little more touristy for our taste, so we typically only go for an occasional autocross. Enjoy your trip to the Carolinas!
Old 06-20-2013, 06:17 PM

Originally Posted by mlc
We have stayed several times further south in Pawley's Island and enjoyed it. Here is where we stayed http://www.litchfieldbeach.com/
Appreciate the feed back. That is one of the places I was checking into.

Originally Posted by GamecockS2K
If you like Italian food make sure you try Villa Romana in MB. Dino's is the best breakfast diner we've found down there. It's good, but not an absolute MUST like Villa Romana is.

Aside from those two restaurants, Myrtle Beach is a little more touristy for our taste, so we typically only go for an occasional autocross. Enjoy your trip to the Carolinas!
Appreciate the post. We're not much for tourist areas, which is why I am thinking we might want to stay in the Murrells Inlet area.

I'll make note of the Italian Restaurant.
Old 06-21-2013, 01:34 PM

Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts

Liberty Steakhouse (at Broadway at the Beach) and Gordon Biersch restaurant (at Market Commons) both have their own in house breweries.
Old 06-21-2013, 05:57 PM

Originally Posted by TPhong
Liberty Steakhouse (at Broadway at the Beach) and Gordon Biersch restaurant (at Market Commons) both have their own in house breweries.

Quick Reply: Visiting SC