Carolinas A Better Place to Be

VIR Hooked on Driving event rescheduled for 11/4

Old 05-08-2013, 07:04 PM

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts
Default VIR Hooked on Driving event rescheduled for 11/4

Hello Fellow Carolinians,

I was scheduled to attend the 5/6 HOD event at VIR, but an unprecedented decision was taken to reschedule the event based on the immanent (80%) forecast for heavy rain and lightening. Evidently, flag workers have a problem waving things around in lightening The new date is Monday 11/4, so if you wanted to go on 5/6, but missed it for whatever reason, you now have 5 extra months to get ready!

Until Sunday, I had only been to Carolina Motorsports Park, because they don't require roll bars. Based on discussion in the previous thread, I believe there are a lot of us fit that description. But I caved-in and got a roll bar for the HOD/VIR event, and since I already had insurance for the weekend, I went up for the 5/5 Track Daze event. If you are like me and have never been to VIR because you don't have a roll bar, get a roll bar!! Wholly crap that place is amazing!

As for HOD, I attended their event at CMP last October, and they are a first-rate outfit (catered meal included, etc.) The price is a little more than you would pay for other one-day events, but they only have 3 run groups allowing them to squeeze 1.5-2 days of track time in one day, so the price is actually a value.

On a side note, I don't want to start a roll bar debate, but my observations support what has already been explained on the previous thread. My instructor did not have a roll bar on his S2000, and he is over 6' tall. He confirmed that as long as you have a "reasonable" car, they are normally willing to turn a blind-eye to cars with "real" OEM roll protection. Personally, I'm glad I have one, but use your own judgement.

In summary, our cars were built to play on tracks like VIR, HOD is top-notch, you have 5 extra months to make it happen!!

- Will
Old 05-11-2013, 04:26 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I was also at the 5/5 VIR event, so I'd also put in a plug for the Trackdaze organization (http://www.trackdaze.com/). I've attended a few of their events over the past year and they run a very organized HDPE with 4x25min sessions each day with a big focus on safety and driver instruction.

On the topic of roll bars in S2000s though, if it were me, I almost would have an issue with potentially being turned away from an event (and losing my registration fee of approximately 1/3-1/2 the cost of a roll bar). But to each his own

As a second thought though, picking up a classic EG Civic would be a fun alternative to using the S2000 on track - the Civic hatches are kinda handy, being old, cheap, lots of storage, and light (so easier on brakes / tires). Though I agree the S2000 is a completely different car to drive and looks so much better (but then again, no one wants to look cool while heading off into the grass )